What's new

maneuverability of folding vs non folding

Quick question. I've had a feather non folding straight that i've enjoyed but am still having a hard time getting under the jawline. i've seen multiple threads on this site and watched multiple videos but can't position the razor in the optimum direction. I thought that maybe a folding straight would be easier to maneuver in different directions. But before buying one I thought i'd check with you guys. Thanks.

I have all three. A straight Feather, folding Feather, and a jawline. The folding may be slightly easier but either way it will take a bit of practice. Rotate between the left and right hand.

"To shave well under the jawline you must align the jaw to be well shaved under."

The Sphinx

Not really, in my experience. And I’d need an extra joint in my arm to go properly against the grain for a BBS underneath my jawline. Or have a man servant. I get close, and that’s good enough for me these days. I’m the only one who knows it’s not perfectly BBS.

i have an Feather AC Kamisori/non-folding. i am getting better every shave. might consider jumping to a proper SR if you want folding.

A folding straight is essentially just a tad shorter than a fixed straight. The scales have little to do with the blade, so I'm unsure as to whether it would assist you or not. Nothing to do except try, I suppose.

All of my shavettes are non folders. Compared to my SRs they are certainly much easy to maneuver and easier to hold.

Quick question. I've had a feather non folding straight that i've enjoyed but am still having a hard time getting under the jawline. i've seen multiple threads on this site and watched multiple videos but can't position the razor in the optimum direction. I thought that maybe a folding straight would be easier to maneuver in different directions. But before buying one I thought i'd check with you guys. Thanks.

Could you be more explicit? How many straight razor shaves have you had altogether? What exactly is the problem?

I cheat a little with all my straights. Due to the unusual directions of growth, on my WTG pass, in some places I am actually going XTG simply because it is not as easy to maneuver as a safety razor. On my ATG passes, some parts of my face can only get XTG, yet they are almost as close as the rest of my face. So don't try to be a contortionist. :)

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the comments. I've been using a non folder feather for several months and have gotten good with the cheek and lower neck, but the chin and under the jawline is still tough. Part of the problem is that i like to go diagonally below the jawline from the ear to the midline to get a close ATG shave. I just can't hold the straight at the correct angle despite pulling the skin in different directions. Watching more videos of folding straight shaving, the orientation of the blade and hand is definitely different vs a non folding blade. But i just also realized that the fingers are much closer to the actual blade, whereas with the non folding blade i've been holding the handle much farther. I'm going to try to "choke up" on the handle and see if that gives me more dexterity.

I find non-folding style slightly easier to maneuver around the face, because there are more ways to hold it. But I purposely try to hold it the same as a folding razor for most of the shave, since I do not want to get too accustomed to the kamisori handle style. Which does mean choking up on the razor more than is needed.

I would also add that the jawline is the most tricky area to shave, especially the chin where the growth is thicker and the radius constantly changing. I do not think you should expect to have the technique figured out in two months, more time and practice is needed. Below the jawline I only do a couple of WTG passes. One nearly straight down, the other in the same (opposite) direction as you...in a downward diagonal from the chin to ear, as that seems to fit the blade shape best. I am not looking for BBS under the chin but I find that approach gives a close shave with minimal effort.

To go ATG diagonally below the jawline as you describe, I would expect a backhand kamisori grip to work well. (Similar to a tennis racket backhand grip). Where the right hand would shave the left side of the neck, and the left hand would shave the right side.

This was an interesting read for me. I've never used a kamisori style razor, and I would have assumed that a folding razor would have to be more maneuverable. If the scales are nice and tight, opening a folder straight out functionally turns it into kami! So it would seem to me that a folder has to be more maneuverable simply because it's more versatile.

But, like I said, I've yet to use a kami style. This thread has me more inclined to buy one!

This was an interesting read for me. I've never used a kamisori style razor, and I would have assumed that a folding razor would have to be more maneuverable. If the scales are nice and tight, opening a folder straight out functionally turns it into kami! So it would seem to me that a folder has to be more maneuverable simply because it's more versatile.

But, like I said, I've yet to use a kami style. This thread has me more inclined to buy one!

the best advantage of a Kami style (symmetrically ground especially) over a folder is its shorter overall length. Especially with scales straight out covering the tang (which I also do). There might be more strokes to cover the same area with a shorter blade in the more traditional Kami, but more room to maneuver around/within.

Ive used both and I dont think it makes a huge difference. Its all what you like. The folding can be nice because the handle can tell you where your blade angle is at but it also can get in the way sometimes.
I personally prefer the kamisori style, mostly just because I think its cool but both are great razors.

Top Bottom