What's new

Manchurian Scrub Fest

I've been shaving with these two gems for a couple of weeks or so and I've got to report that I've never used anything quite like them. Insofar as backbone goes, you could use these for jack stands. Still the tips are very soft. Regarding their scrub, well they're not for the faint of heart.

20180505_121443-1593x1195.jpg

Satellite image of the copper. Still damp from this morning.
20180505_121454-1593x1195.jpg

Satellite image of the blue. (Special thanks to Google earth)
20180505_121926-1593x1195.jpg

The blue handled knot measures approximately 26 mm with 55 mm loft. Still very scrubby it offers enough flex to be a good painter. The copper handled knot measures 28 mm with 50 mm loft. It paints well but not as well as its higher lofted sibling. Both brushes can dig lather from the hardest of soaps and release it willingly to the face. Surprisingly, I believe the copper is the softer of the two, in spite of its shorter loft. Both provide a very satisfying scrub but are very soft when painting. With respect to looks, the photos don't do them justice; they are each lookers. I'm especially fond of the blue handle with the gold trim. Each handle though, feels great in the hand and each is a pleasure to use. I find the longer handled, higher lofted, blue brush to be ideal for bowl lathering.

Now for the break in. As I said, these brushes are not for the faint of heart. Initially the scritch was flat out painful. I could not imagine anyone enjoying either one. I had read many reviews of Shavemac D01 2-bands that sounded similar. Some folks dumped those brushes immediately, while others noted that they do soften up with use. I've read those brushes described as "an acquired taste." I was determined to see it through.

I noticed that the brushes softened noticeably with each use and that the scritch rather quickly morphed into scrub - a very invigorating scrub. In short, I love these brushes. They are an interesting departure from the run-of-the mill uber soft badger.

Summary
Tip softness - 4/5
Knot softness - 1/5
Scrub - 6/5
Flow through - 5/5
Lather making - 5/5
Ergonomics - 5/5

Enjoy your shaves!

I've been shaving with these two gems for a couple of weeks or so and I've got to report that I've never used anything quite like them. Insofar as backbone goes, you could use these for jack stands. Still the tips are very soft. Regarding their scrub, well they're not for the faint of heart.

View attachment 881367

Satellite image of the copper. Still damp from this morning.
View attachment 881372

Satellite image of the blue. (Special thanks to Google earth)
View attachment 881369

The blue handled knot measures approximately 26 mm with 55 mm loft. Still very scrubby it offers enough flex to be a good painter. The copper handled knot measures 28 mm with 50 mm loft. It paints well but not as well as its higher lofted sibling. Both brushes can dig lather from the hardest of soaps and release it willingly to the face. Surprisingly, I believe the copper is the softer of the two, in spite of its shorter loft. Both provide a very satisfying scrub but are very soft when painting. With respect to looks, the photos don't do them justice; they are each lookers. I'm especially fond of the blue handle with the gold trim. Each handle though, feels great in the hand and each is a pleasure to use. I find the longer handled, higher lofted, blue brush to be ideal for bowl lathering.

Now for the break in. As I said, these brushes are not for the faint of heart. Initially the scritch was flat out painful. I could not imagine anyone enjoying either one. I had read many reviews of Shavemac D01 2-bands that sounded similar. Some folks dumped those brushes immediately, while others noted that they do soften up with use. I've read those brushes described as "an acquired taste." I was determined to see it through.

I noticed that the brushes softened noticeably with each use and that the scritch rather quickly morphed into scrub - a very invigorating scrub. In short, I love these brushes. They are an interesting departure from the run-of-the mill uber soft badger.

Summary
Tip softness - 4/5
Knot softness - 1/5
Scrub - 6/5
Flow through - 5/5
Lather making - 5/5
Ergonomics - 5/5

Enjoy your shaves!

Great brushes, enjoy them! Too big though for my taste.Do they sell smaller knots? 19 mm 20 mm ?

Really beautiful brushes. I ordered the 24mm in the aluminum handle. My second Zenith purchase. First was 22mm boar in lacquered wood handle.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

I've only tried one manchurian knot (a Brad Sears brush), but I agree that it definitely has characteristics that are quite different than other knots. Plenty of backbone, soft and luscious tips. I love mine.

I have check them out...
There are two under the code : 2006 /T Extra & 2006 Extra , both have Loft 51 mm & knot 21 mm
Also 207 Extra, P1 Extra, & P2 Extra which have Loft 51 mm and knot 22 mm
All of the above as i can understand are Silver-tips... I am afraid that with that long loft will be quite floppy..
If you want a shorter loft, when you order comment the loft you want and they will accommodate. If you want different hair, again tell them. Basically you can build whatever brush you want.

If you want a shorter loft, when you order comment the loft you want and they will accommodate. If you want different hair, again tell them. Basically you can build whatever brush you want.

That's great! I am sure that a lot of people did not know that Zenith can make to order brushes like shavemac.
Thank you!

I jumped on the bandwagon and the copper 28mm Manchurian is in transit. This is just one super looking brush that also seems to be a fine performer. But I am curious @Cino, do you also own the Maseto 30mm two band? If so, could you let us know how they compare? I own a couple of the 30mm silvertips but keep thinking the two band should have been added also.

I jumped on the bandwagon and the copper 28mm Manchurian is in transit. This is just one super looking brush that also seems to be a fine performer. But I am curious @Cino, do you also own the Maseto 30mm two band? If so, could you let us know how they compare? I own a couple of the 30mm silvertips but keep thinking the two band should have been added also.
I do have the Maseto 30 mm 2-band, it is nothing like the Zenith. The Maseto is soft from the start and offers no discernable scrub compared to the Zenith. The zenith can require several to many shaves before the scritch morphs into scrub. The Zenith also has tremendous flow-through. I like them both, but to me the Zenith is something special.

Top Bottom