What's new

Manchurian Badger vs Super Badger

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
A huge difference. Super is very soft, low to medium backbone and a lot of splay - a fluffy, luxurious, cloud of a brush, and I dislike it a lot. It is my least favourite Simpson grade even behind the cheapest Pure grade. Manchurian hair has a thicker hair shaft, little splay, medium to high backbone, soft tips, plenty of scrub, and I love it. It is my favourite Simpson hair grade. A lot people love Super grade but not me 👍

A huge difference. Super is very soft, low to medium backbone and a lot of splay - a fluffy, luxurious, cloud of a brush, and I dislike it a lot. It is my least favourite Simpson grade even behind the cheapest Pure grade. Manchurian hair has a thicker hair shaft, little splay, medium to high backbone, soft tips, plenty of scrub, and I love it. It is my favourite Simpson hair grade. A lot people love Super grade but not me 👍
Thank you, just received my first Manchurian and was thinking it would be softer than my Super, but I agree with you I like it having a little more scritch and backbone

love my simpson manchurian. lots of backbone. great for face lathering and all soaps.

colgate simpson thiers issard penhaligon english fern october 29 2017.jpg

Got my Manchurian today as soon as I got home lather up just to see the difference, just the right balance of everything, will use it tomorrow morning. But could not wait till then for a trial run.

Basically correct, but there are also exceptions at Simpson. For example the Chubby 1.

proxy.php

proxy.php

The Manchurian Badger of course has the bigger backbone, but the Super Badger doesn't need to hide, it has a very good stability with good backbone due to its very short loft and dense knot.
You will never find a fluffy, luxurious brush cloud with this Chubby1Super Badger, it goes easily into the scratchy.

EclipseRedRing

Basically correct, but there are also exceptions at Simpson. For example the Chubby 1.

proxy.php

proxy.php

The Manchurian Badger of course has the bigger backbone, but the Super Badger doesn't need to hide, it has a very good stability with good backbone due to its very short loft and dense knot.
You will never find a fluffy, luxurious brush cloud with this Chubby1Super Badger, it goes easily into the scratchy.
Interesting, I have a Chubby 1 Manchurian and love it but have not tried the Super version as I disliked the other Simpson Super brushes I tried like the Persian Jar, the Tulip, and the Chubby 3. Now you have got me tempted....... 😆

proxy.php

proxy.php

LOVELY!! Appreciate the comparative review! :a29: :a29:

Interesting, I have a Chubby 1 Manchurian and love it but have not tried the Super version as I disliked the other Simpson Super brushes I tried like the Persian Jar, the Tulip, and the Chubby 3. Now you have got me tempted....... 😆
How would you compare the Simpson best to the Manchurian

This really depends as some of the older Simpsons' Best knots which were just as good as their Supers. However, the Super 3-Band knots are/were denser. However, for the price and if you get a good one, the Best knots are lovely knots.
This is, of course, all very subjective and you would have to try them to make a final decision.
Good luck.

EclipseRedRing

The Best grade can be a bit variable but I certainly much prefer them to Super grade. The Best hair is slightly thicker than Super with more backbone and less splay, at least in my experience. In my opinion Simpson Best offers some of the best value for money in shaving. My order of preference for Simpson grades is Manchurian, Best, Pure, and finally Super. I have not tried the two band SiLVERTiP Simpson brushes as they are close in price to Manchurian so I always buy the Manchurian brush as I know I will like it. To directly compare the Best and Manchurian I would say the Best is less scrubby with less backbone but as I say it can be variable. Many people say that a good example of Best is very like Super grade in that it is a soft and luxurious example, some others say their Best has scrub or prickle so it can be a bit of a lottery. The Best grade brushes I have not liked have been the ones with a relatively high loft such as the Persian Jar, The Captain, and the Milk Churn where the loft exceeds twice the knot size by several mm. The lower lofted brushes retain their backbone, splay less, and offer the scrub that I like. Sorry, not being much help here.

The Best grade can be a bit variable but I certainly much prefer them to Super grade. The Best hair is slightly thicker than Super with more backbone and less splay, at least in my experience. In my opinion Simpson Best offers some of the best value for money in shaving. My order of preference for Simpson grades is Manchurian, Best, Pure, and finally Super. I have not tried the two band SiLVERTiP Simpson brushes as they are close in price to Manchurian so I always buy the Manchurian brush as I know I will like it. To directly compare the Best and Manchurian I would say the Best is less scrubby with less backbone but as I say it can be variable. Many people say that a good example of Best is very like Super grade in that it is a soft and luxurious example, some others say their Best has scrub or prickle so it can be a bit of a lottery. The Best grade brushes I have not liked have been the ones with a relatively high loft such as the Persian Jar, The Captain, and the Milk Churn where the loft exceeds twice the knot size by several mm. The lower lofted brushes retain their backbone, splay less, and offer the scrub that I like. Sorry, not being much help here.
Great info thank you for your time and response

This really depends as some of the older Simpsons' Best knots which were just as good as their Supers. However, the Super 3-Band knots are/were denser. However, for the price and if you get a good one, the Best knots are lovely knots.
This is, of course, all very subjective and you would have to try them to make a final decision.
Good luck.
Thanks

Just ordered the chubby 1 best, it was only $99.00 on Amazon. If I do not like it I will return it, but for the difference in price thought I would give it a try

Top Bottom