What's new

Man suffers flesh-eating bacteria infection after using roommate's razor

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Has this story only appeared in the "tabloid" type newspapers, or has it also appeared in any of the "mainstream" press?

Just asking, not saying.

It's not mainstream at all. It's been shared by Buzzfeed and The Daily Mail, and is only a direct word for word share of the story linked above.
The guy is a Media Content Creator according to his linked in profile.
Sounds like he's creating media content.

DO NOT USE BARBACIDE to sanitize/disinfect/sterilize a razor! Barbacide is for use on plastic (as in combs) not metal.

I use Dow basin, tub, and tile cleaner aka "scrubbing bubbles bathroom cleaner" and an old toothbrush used for nothing else.

Don't put a DE razor in the automatic dishwasher, either.
But I don't think the material that its being used on matters in terms of Barbicide's ability to to kill bacteria right?
I don't know enough about Barbicide to know if it might be damaging to certain materials (never used it), but I doubt it would only kill germs on plastic and not metal.

Just shows to go ya that you don’t share razors or use the same razor blade on your nether regions and then use it on your face. Someone said barbicide, but strep survived several years on the moon in the Surveyor spacecrafts camera.

A few years ago they found the original 16mm film of the NASA biologists disassembling and inspecting the Surveyor camera. Let's just say that sterile and clean room procedures have improved by orders of magnitude since 1970. The current thought is that the camera was most likely contaminated either during recovery and transportation, or by flawed cleanroom procedure during the inspection.

A few years ago they found the original 16mm film of the NASA biologists disassembling and inspecting the Surveyor camera. Let's just say that sterile and clean room procedures have improved by orders of magnitude since 1970. The current thought is that the camera was most likely contaminated either during recovery and transportation, or by flawed cleanroom procedure during the inspection.
Drat, spoils a good Sci Fi plot line.

Another skeptic here; hard to fathom this razor story as being real without seeing the culprit razor. Perhaps the young man forgot to wash his face well after putting it where nature says it didn't really belong :lol: . I always cleaned any new metal razor acquisitions first, washed them up, and then dipped them in boiling water for a minute or two. Never have had a problem.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Fortunately, the last thing everyone at B&B lacks is a razor. We even buy razors for our wives, daughters, and grandchildren.
The most razors that we have can withstand all kinds of harsh cleaning methods.

Just shows to go ya that you don’t share razors or use the same razor blade on your nether regions and then use it on your face. Someone said barbicide, but strep survived several years on the moon in the Surveyor spacecrafts camera.
It was probably his girlfriends cartridge razor that had been left in the shower for the past month. I don't think us wetshavers have anything to worry about.

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Wow! Who is this guy's roommate anyway? He'd better make sure not to use the same anything at all that his roommate also uses.

Wow! Who is this guy's roommate anyway?
proxy.php

While what he suffered was unfortunate, I am also doubtful it was "flesh eating bacteria disease" which has a 20 - 30% fatality rate and is extremely rare.
Impetigo is also caused by strep, but it's not considered fatal.
I personally believe that if he had Necrotizing fasciitis, he would have been hospitalized, not driving around posting pics on Tik Tok.
Regardless, don't share personal grooming tools and keep yours clean and inaccessible to roommates.

+1! I agree. Doubt that he had ‘flesh eating bacteria disease’ if he was not hospitalized with the need for multiple operations.

That said, the message is valid, ‘Don’t share grooming tools.’

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
It's not mainstream at all. It's been shared by Buzzfeed and The Daily Mail, and is only a direct word for word share of the story linked above.
The guy is a Media Content Creator according to his linked in profile.
Sounds like he's creating media content.
Ahhh, he's trying to grow a following so one day he can claim the title of social media influencer influenza.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
@garyg, not one person asked you how you know, and I am the curious type. So, do tell!

Well, about 10 years ago I had found a Schick Type M floating as it were in the 'Bay .. when it was in hand I used the dental floss trick to clean out the blade compartment (that one had lots of crud) and then put the head in some 91% to saok overnight. I don't have pictures, but it sort of melted some of the plastic bits & bleached it out. Thanks for axing -

Top Bottom