What's new

Man suffers flesh-eating bacteria infection after using roommate's razor

Uh yaaaaaaaiks!

also reminds you to clean your razor and bin the blade when you shave certain regions.

hmmm or a goo excuse to get a small jar with barbicide to sterilize your razor.

Would be interesting to know what happens when you dunk a coated razor or plastic parts razor in barbicide for most of the time.
will it disolve waxes and oils on and in the razor. Harm paint plastic etc…

DO NOT USE BARBACIDE to sanitize/disinfect/sterilize a razor! Barbacide is for use on plastic (as in combs) not metal.

I use Dow basin, tub, and tile cleaner aka "scrubbing bubbles bathroom cleaner" and an old toothbrush used for nothing else.

Don't put a DE razor in the automatic dishwasher, either.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'm skeptical of this story and its source; unfortunately, I have no proof that substantiates my doubt.

While what he suffered was unfortunate, I am also doubtful it was "flesh eating bacteria disease" which has a 20 - 30% fatality rate and is extremely rare.
Impetigo is also caused by strep, but it's not considered fatal.
I personally believe that if he had Necrotizing fasciitis, he would have been hospitalized, not driving around posting pics on Tik Tok.
Regardless, don't share personal grooming tools and keep yours clean and inaccessible to roommates.

Just shows to go ya that you don’t share razors or use the same razor blade on your nether regions and then use it on your face. Someone said barbicide, but strep survived several years on the moon in the Surveyor spacecrafts camera.

DO NOT USE BARBACIDE to sanitize/disinfect/sterilize a razor! Barbacide is for use on plastic (as in combs) not metal.
The Barbacide website says otherwise...
Will BARBICIDE® harm my plastic combs/brushes or fine metal shears?

BARBICIDE® will not harm your plastics or metals; however, it is not recommended that you leave items soaking for long periods of time. If you are using BARBICIDE® TB, you should only leave your items in the solution for the required 10 minutes and then remove promptly, as BARBICIDE® TB can damage plastics after prolonged contact.

Source: Barbicide FAQ

While what he suffered was unfortunate, I am also doubtful it was "flesh eating bacteria disease" which has a 20 - 30% fatality rate and is extremely rare.
Impetigo is also caused by strep, but it's not considered fatal.
I personally believe that if he had Necrotizing fasciitis, he would have been hospitalized, not driving around posting pics on Tik Tok.
Regardless, don't share personal grooming tools and keep yours clean and inaccessible to roommates.
I know a woman that had Necrotizing fascitis or how ever ya spell it. She was in the hospital for a good long while. Nearly died. Had to have some skin grafts to fill in the chunks they haad to cut off her. She lived but it was touch and go for a while. Said it could have come from any little cut. Like a nick when she was shaving EEEK! If that gives an indication of where it attacked her :(

Next hot trend on B&B: personal-size autoclaves for your den.

Hot topics:
- Which is better for disinfection: 250 degree steam or gamma ray bombardment?
- Can you really infect yourself or just somebody else?

P.S. Don't kiss your dog! Some German guy died from that!

*This is the New York Post.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'm also doubtful that it was a "razor" as we understand that word.
If you look at all of the pics of this guy in the article, it's quite obvious he hasn't seen a razor in quite some time.
More likely one of these stubble clippers that seem to be popular.

The pic of him with the infection shows quite an amount of facial hair, much more than the pic below.

6-15-21-shaving-pustules-06.jpg

Top Bottom