What's new

Man suffers flesh-eating bacteria infection after using roommate's razor

Rubbing alcohol can damage plastic parts in razors - such as later Schicks - ask me how I know.

That's exactly what happened to my G2. The plastic/bakelite was sticky after I removed it from the alcohol and later on it broke while I was trying to clean the tight spots with q-tips.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
kinda crazy

so some of you are saying not to use the likes or barbacide,
so how about any general disinfectant you get from local supermarkets like this below?

Some folks (myself included at times) can get very compulsive about things. It's like the old analogy of if an aspirin helps my headache, a whole bottle ought to be great.
Alcohol is fine for a dip and dry, scrubbing bubbles works for getting rid of soap scum, barbicide (or any other commercial antibacterial) is fine for disinfecting.
Any of them would likely be detrimental if you soaked things in them for extended periods.
Get any product you feel will work and just follow the instructions.
The folks who make the product know best how it works no matter what arm chair chemists may tell you.
I've said this before, but
I use hot soapy water, scrubbing bubbles, alcohol.
That's plenty clean for me, and it's a LOT more than most folks do for most other things in their life.
Do you put barbicide on the drinking glasses you bring home from Walmart made in China?
Just how good a job did Frankie do on the Silverware in the backroom of that Applebees?
What about the bin in that Ice Machine at the local burger joint?
But, everyone is free to do what they need to do to get to their own personal comfort level, including shopping at Autoclaves-R-Us.

Last edited:
Some folks (myself included at times) can get very compulsive about things. It's like the old analogy of if an aspirin helps my headache, a whole bottle ought to be great.
Alcohol is fine for a dip and dry, scrubbing bubbles works for getting rid of soap scum, barbicide (or any other commercial antibacterial) is fine for disinfecting.
Any of them would likely be detrimental if you soaked things in them for extended periods.
Get any product you feel will work and just follow the instructions.
The folks who make the product know best how it works no matter what arm chair chemists may tell you.

Luckily, I have an 8qt stovetop autoclave so I needn't worry about such things. Just put the razor in the steam rack above the kidney beans, crank it up to 15 psi, and enjoy the gentle chugging sounds of an old timey locomotive.

It's important to be sanitary with our shaving gear.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Luckily, I have an 8qt stovetop autoclave so I needn't worry about such things. Just put the razor in the steam rack above the kidney beans, crank it up to 15 psi, and enjoy the gentle chugging sounds of an old timey locomotive.

It's important to be sanitary with our shaving gear.

I agree. Sanitary is indeed very important. I do think that (as with most things shave related here) some people can tend to go overboard on some aspects.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I posted this a couple of years ago, but it kind of illustrates the overboard process.

When I buy a used razor, I go through the following process;

24 hour soak in scrubbing bubbles
2 hour boil in CLR
Soak in Barbicide for 2 days
Scrub with toothbrush, toothpaste, alcohol and MAAS for at least 60 minutes
48 hours in the Autoclave
Another 1 hour boil in CLR and Vinegar.
Just to be safe, I hit it with a Propane Torch with a full Rosette Tip.
I've done this with the 376 Razors I bought.
I now have 2 razors in my collection, but they don't seem to shave worth a darn.

Or you could just wash it with soap and water, soak it in scrubbing bubbles and concentrate on shaving.

I posted this a couple of years ago, but it kind of illustrates the overboard process.

When I buy a used razor, I go through the following process;

24 hour soak in scrubbing bubbles
2 hour boil in CLR
Soak in Barbicide for 2 days
Scrub with toothbrush, toothpaste, alcohol and MAAS for at least 60 minutes
48 hours in the Autoclave
Another 1 hour boil in CLR and Vinegar.
Just to be safe, I hit it with a Propane Torch with a full Rosette Tip.
I've done this with the 376 Razors I bought.
I now have 2 razors in my collection, but they don't seem to shave worth a darn.

Or you could just wash it with soap and water, soak it in scrubbing bubbles and concentrate on shaving.
Option 2 makes sense to me.

Sent from my Google Chromebook Pixel (2015) using Tapatalk

Option 2 makes sense to me.

You've got to be careful with boiling CLR and metal razors on account of the Hydrogen gas. Best to use it in a pressure cooker to raise the boiling point to reduce the offgassing and keep it over a low flame.

Safety first.

You've got to be careful with boiling CLR and metal razors on account of the Hydrogen gas. Best to use it in a pressure cooker to raise the boiling point to reduce the offgassing and keep it over a low flame.

Safety first.
I can't imagine a circumstance in which anything beyond Dawn and Scrubbing Bubbles would be necessary. And in most cases I wouldn't bother with the Scrubbing Bubbles if dealing with delicate plating.

I can't imagine a circumstance in which anything beyond Dawn and Scrubbing Bubbles would be necessary. And in most cases I wouldn't bother with the Scrubbing Bubbles if dealing with delicate plating.

Same. I was joking of course. When I get a used razor I just give it a scrub with dishwashing detergent, give it a splash of alcohol to welcome it to the family, and call it good. 😃

DO NOT USE BARBACIDE to sanitize/disinfect/sterilize a razor! Barbacide is for use on plastic (as in combs) not metal.

I use Dow basin, tub, and tile cleaner aka "scrubbing bubbles bathroom cleaner" and an old toothbrush used for nothing else.

Don't put a DE razor in the automatic dishwasher, either.

This!

I've successfully ruined several vintage razors with barricade. Dishwasher soap, old toothbrush, non abrasive polish and elbow grease is the best!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
What's the difference?

One of these newspapers is Mainstream Media, and the other one is a Tabloid.
0bf76d330.jpg

Top Bottom