What's new

Man Shares His Family's Magic Trick For Telling If a Watermelon is Ripe

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
:a47:Ya gotta see this hack to believe (I gotta try this), and now civilization as we know it has been saved for another Summer.🍉

By Diana Logan - MSN - 2 Sept 22

"Magic doesn’t always have to involve iron cauldrons and eye of newt. Sometimes it’s simple homey tricks that in another era might be called a “household hint” or even a “life hack.” Still, it’s amazing when it works, and I for one cannot wait wait to try this one. All you need to do your own bit of magic is a watermelon and broom straw.

Ever wonder about buying a full watermelon from the grocery store? You certainly don’t want to get home and cut it open to discover it isn’t ripe. Well, now you don’t have to. Simply perform this little bit of folk magic and you can always tell what you’re gong to find inside.

1662157803109.png
This is how it works: take a straw from a broom and place it on top of the watermelon. The watermelon should be lying on its side, with the blossom end facing you. Put the broom straw down straight across (perpendicular to the vertical line of the melon from end to end). If the watermelon is ripe, the straw will spin around and settle along the vertical axis, with the end of the straw pointing at the blossom end.

This is how it works: take a straw from a broom and place it on top of the watermelon. The watermelon should be lying on its side, with the blossom end facing you. Put the broom straw down straight across (perpendicular to the vertical line of the melon from end to end). If the watermelon is ripe, the straw will spin around and settle along the vertical axis, with the end of the straw pointing at the blossom end.

It's magic...Watermelon Video

In the video, the man demonstrates this technique and sure enough, the straw spins around on top of the watermelon and settles in the vertical “ripe” position. The man’s wife, taking the video, audibly gasps as she watches this occur, and honestly, girl? Same. “What is this voodoo witchcraft stuff? Your grandma was a witch!” 🧙‍♀️

“No,” the man replies, defensively. But she certainly knew some magic, and this is proof.

“I’ve done ‘water witching’ but ‘watermelon witching’?! How cool!” exclaims one viewer. Others are running out to get watermelons and their brooms".

Works Cited: Watermelon - Trick/Hack

1662158947996.png
When one has tasted watermelon, he knows what the angels eat". Mark Twain

Last edited:
Interesting. I use a trick a kindly old lady showed me in the store. She said to find the one with the brightest (but not necessarily biggest) yellow spot. Also, the stripes should be 2 finger widths apart.

I've been doing that for years and it seems to work for me. Mind you, no one grows watermelons in my area so I'd like to try one in a place where they'd be right off the vine. I bet they are amazing.

Top Bottom