What's new

Man Plans, God Laughs

The old Yiddish proverb proved true in my life once again.

I'm here, the day after my 29th birthday, covered in facial hair. Work was work, and it beat me up pretty good, but a few moons ago, I remember saying I was back and ready to contribute to the site after a long hiatus trying to get my life back together. The road ahead was pretty flat and wide, and things seemed to be going well. Then I got a double whammy roadblock.

The first thing that happened was in March, when my sister had to have an emergency procedure on her spine in order to fix some ruined discs from an accident in late 2010. She, now in June, appears to be mildly addicted to pain medication, and it is adversely affecting the family unit. I have tried to be there for the family, but watching someone just sort of act like a junkie à la Intervention was and is too much to bear. I've shied away a lot until 1. She stops getting prescribed heroic doses of various strong pain medications and 2. She stops abusing them.

The second thing that happened was fairly recent as my grandmother was diagnosed with a carcinoid in the lungs, blood clots in the lungs, and Type II Diabetes, all within a 10-day span. My grandmother is one of two grandparents I have left, and the only one that is in a geographically convenient location. It hurt a lot to hear all this, and the sting, though subsiding, is still there. It is a very treatable form of cancer, Heparin has cleared the clots, and she is managing her Diabetes. Even with all the upbeat news, it's tough to take.

This all probably sounds like some sort of undue explanation, and I'm sure no one started a "Where is Shane?" thread, but when you say you're going to be back, and then disappear...twice...you probably need to tell someone why. Tonight, I am loading a fresh Feather into a Slanthammer. When I do shave, it's gonna feel like I'm removing more than just some facial hair.

I'm back twice over, and this time, if I get hit in the chest with something, I'm not gonna leave again.

You've got a lot on your plate. Take things one shave at a time. I know a bit about carcinoid. It was something I was suspected of having until it was discovered that I had kidney cancer and mastocytosis. When it was still a possibility, I got a fair amount of reassurance that it is a treatable, typically low-grade cancer that can be lived with/treated for a very long time and that sysmtoms - flushing, low blood pressure... can be managed. All the best to you and your family. I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. Glad to have you back.

You've been through a lot, and abscences are allowed. Family always comes first. I'm sure you were missed by some. And for those, like me, who never crossed paths, I say nice to meet you and Welcome Back! Enjoy your shave, may it clear up more than stubble.

well,it may not be PC,but since you brought god into it ,ill put you and yours on my prayer list,god listen's too,as well as laugh's,welcome back and enjoy the little things:}

Top Bottom