What's new

Man-ly Fragrances?

What are some MAN-ly fragrances? Stuff that doesn't smell like a fashion model or metro-sexual. Clint Eastwood, John Wayne and Charles Bronson in a bottle. Suggestions??

Pinaud Clubman.....Master Blue.....Old Spice & other Classic barbershop scents. No need to spend big $$ on fru fru juice imho.

Only one mention of Yves St Laurent's M7? ....... Reputedly so masculine that your EDT will offer everyone in the room a fight, drink all the ale and, if you find the scent has deserted you, it's only because it left early with both the Vicar's daughters ..........

Puig Vetiver, older formulation Paco Rabanne Pour Homme, Quorum, Aramis ........... Just about anything from the 80's ....... Scent with shoulder pads and attitude that enters the room before you do ........

Colonia intensa Oud Eau de cologne concentree- Acqua di Parma

Colonia intensa Leather Eau de cologne concentrate - Acqua di Parma

If you are super rich then Vintage Tabarome - Creed. Created in 1875, never used it but it is a legend.

Last edited:
Vetiver by Guerlain. About as classic and as manly as it gets. Smells like soap and white pepper and like you just had a fresh shave. I'm sure you've seen enough Vetiver recommendations in this thread to take it to the bank... Creed and Guerlain produce the best (with a slight nod to Guerlain as far as my tastes go).

Green Irish Tweed is an excellent scent (and one that women in particular fall in love with), but I don't know if I'd call it "manly." It has a base sweetness from the Ambergris and a lovely floral top note that I would not call manly. Don't get me wrong, the scent is a masterpiece, and I'd highly recommend it, but I wouldn't call it super-manly. Same with Aventus. But both are remarkable scents for men and I'd highly recommend them.

Been playing around with some nice scents from Amouage too. Specifically Interlude Man and Jubilation XXV Man. Both excellent spicy scents with very "manly" wood base notes, but they're really not appropriate for summer (they are fall/winter scents).

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Please some body educate me how manly fragrances are defined. And how does fragrance make you more man.

It's a myth.
There are people who can wear a floral scent and still be a "real man", and there are people who try to dress and smell "manly" and still remain insecure in their own masculinity.

That may well be my next Clubman. I've used the regular, the 6 oz and the "Country-Club" 16 oz., but have seen so many positive reports on the Special Reserve.

It's a myth.
There are people who can wear a floral scent and still be a "real man", and there are people who try to dress and smell "manly" and still remain insecure in their own masculinity.

And there are women with beards who can kick your butt.

I don't think those women are considered feminine though. Just like an effeminate man, no matter the fragrance he wears, will not fit the stereotype of masculinity.

A myth it is, however, that doesn't make it any less real.

If you take the manliest looking/acting man, and cover him in Daisy, he will probably be perceived less masculine than if you were to spray him with K10, Amouage Epic, Montale Aoud Musk, or something really dry, leathery, animalic, or machine oil like smelling like MdO Cuir.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Straw man argument. A woman with a beard who can kick my butt isn't feminine to begin with, and wearing a floral scent isn't going to help her with that.

The OP of the thread asked
What are some MAN-ly fragrances? Stuff that doesn't smell like a fashion model or metro-sexual. Clint Eastwood, John Wayne and Charles Bronson in a bottle. Suggestions??

John Wayne's dopp kit sold on ebay and contained a bottle of Lilac Vegetal. Yep. Lilacs. John Wayne isn't "man-ly"?

My post was in reply to another poster who asked
Please some body educate me how manly fragrances are defined. And how does fragrance make you more man.

No fragrance "makes" one more or less of a man.

You speak of "perception" and that's not what this is about. The questions have been does a fragrance make one more or less manly. The true answer is that no scent can change ones masculinity.

In any case, no one can control what another person "perceives" - you might wear Hydrochloric Acid scent and have someone perceive it as feminine.
If you take a scent into the jungles of Borneo and ask the inhabitants who have not been raised in a culture similar to ours if that scent is "masculine" or "feminine" you won't get the expected answer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom