What's new

Mamba May! (1/2 GRUME)

Mamba May 24th

Over three weeks in and still at it! The Mamba is definitely a mild shaver. Some shaves are fantastic, few are awful, and most are good enough. My prep and lather is consistent so I’m concluding the razor is particular to angle.

2.5 days growth with 4 passes. My technique is getting better with good comfort and almost no irritation.

The irritation does build after daily use if aiming for DFS. The efficiency just doesn’t seem the be there, requiring multiple passes and buffing.

Mamba May 7th

Preshave: Glyce preshave soap
Lather: B&M Seville
Brush: Thater 4125 2-band silvertip
Razor: Mamba 70
Blade: Kai (4th use)
Alum between warm and cold rinse
Aftershave: Lucky Tiger

I flipped the blade overafter three uses. From the steepest effective cutting angle, I adjusted 5-degrees shallower. MUCH more comfortable shave. Efficiency increased slightly. I found I still need to go over everything 2-4 times on the third pass to get down to DFS. Two more days of riding the bar.

View attachment 1097063
Fantastic looking chess set!

Mamba May 28th

Fantastic shave!!! A few days ago I had such bad irritation causing a short break. 2.75 days growth and the shave was outstanding today. Still trying to figure out why. Is the angle just that particular?

Glyce preshave soap
Mamba 70
Kai (6)
Thater 24mm 2-band silvertip
B&M Seville
RazoRock XXX aftershave

Prep is critical. Spent extra time massaging my beard with the face soap. Massaged even more with the Seville soap as preshave while I bowl lathered. Mild mild mild added pressure with WTG and XTG passes resulting greatly improved efficiency. Zero pressure on ATG buff. Almost no alum burn on near BBS.

Only took all month to get here!!!

image.jpg

Mamba May 28th

Fantastic shave!!! A few days ago I had such bad irritation causing a short break. 2.75 days growth and the shave was outstanding today. Still trying to figure out why. Is the angle just that particular?

Glyce preshave soap
Mamba 70
Kai (6)
Thater 24mm 2-band silvertip
B&M Seville
RazoRock XXX aftershave

Prep is critical. Spent extra time massaging my beard with the face soap. Massaged even more with the Seville soap as preshave while I bowl lathered. Mild mild mild added pressure with WTG and XTG passes resulting greatly improved efficiency. Zero pressure on ATG buff. Almost no alum burn on near BBS.

Only took all month to get here!!!

View attachment 1106076
Thank you for sharing your progress and results with the Mamba. Since I'm getting good BBS results with the RazoRock Game Changer .84 safety bar and the JAWS .68 open comb, I'm concluding from your observations that the Mamba will be too mild for me to use without extra effort.

I just picked up a Mamba 70 from a forum member on B/S/T, and I don't see what all the fuss is about in terms of problems with the angle, and so forth. I found it intuitive and a good shaver right from the get-go.

Top Bottom