What's new

Mamba 53: first shave

(Semi-related to my original post)

I did a second shave with the Henson Medium.

7 days growth.
Astra blue SS, 1st use.
One pass WTG (as always).

Since I have only used the Henson once I thought it deserved a second opportunity. I had never tried the Astra blue before. Overall it was a smooth shave, much better than with the Astra green. But when I got to my trouble spot (jawline) it failed again: the feeling of tugging was just too painful to finish the shave with it. I guess I simply have hypersensitive hair follicles in that area... I put the blade in the Mamba 53 and managed to finish the shave. Even with the Mamba it's painful, but about only half as much compared to the Henson. The difference is that Mamba seems to manage to cut through the stubble (though with discomfort) while the Henson feels like it gets stuck.

However, if I had to stick with a single razor right now of the ones I have (and have ever tried) going forward, it would likely be the SE Twig: it's just as smooth as the Mamba 53, but with greater efficiency than the Mamba, which means I avoid the micro strokes. I think the Twig also has less drag than the Mamba. The Mamba feels better in blade clamping though.
The Twig has been so good that I ordered the Thorn over the BF sales even though I've never considered the Thorn before.

I'd love to hear other DE users', who like mild feeling yet efficient razors, opinion of the Twig (looking at you @Kennyg2019), I just can't imagine anyone having a bad shave with it, regardless of preference, and I think it will be at or near the top of anyone's list who like mild feeling razors.

On a side note, the Mamba 70 arrived, so next shave will be very interesting! I have high hopes for it. I'll make a new thread for that one.

If anyone wants to purchase a black Henson Medium, with less than 2 shaves in it, feel free to PM me. I'm in Europe.

My first shave with a Mamba 0.53 and Shark Platinum blade — thanks @Cafebarian ! — had a lot more blade feel than I was expecting. Very smooth, very efficient. Can’t wait to get more practice with it.

Have been waiting for your first shave with it. So glad the maiden voyage was a good one.
Blade feel? You have been using the Fatip for some time, which has no blade gap? Wondering if that difference has any effect.
Play with the angle as the Mamba has a sweet spot.

Cheers and happy shaving!

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
What other razors have you used? Which are your favorite razors?

An amount that embarrassed me to type. The Fatip Grande is my favorite so far.

Blade feel? You have been using the Fatip for some time, which has no blade gap? Wondering if that difference has any effect.

The Fatip has plenty of exposure; especially at a neutral angle; so maybe the gap of the Mamba emulates that?

Play with the angle as the Mamba has a sweet spot.

Will do. Changing from CeraVe bar soap to VDH shave soap tonight to heighten that experience.

I shave daily with AS-D2 and want to know wich Razorock razor is similar to Feather. Mamba 53 or 70 ?

@Whilliam uses both the Feather AS-D2 and RazoRock Mamba 0.70, so maybe the 0.70?

The Fatip has plenty of exposure; especially at a neutral angle; so maybe the gap of the Mamba emulates that?
Thinking your observations are correct! Both very different designs and geometry, interesting.
As you know I always used the Fatip at a very steep angle. You and I are both in uncharted territory for comparisons from our preferred shaving angles.

thombrogan

Steep with a Fatip is a rewarding treat, but neutral provides the most exposure, efficiency, and comfort in my ham hands.

thombrogan

Second outing was a closer shave, but I overshaved. Will see if skin stretching/flattening makes WTG pass even closer and try to use less pressure throughout. Working better for me than the ‘standard’ plate RazoRock BBS.

Top Bottom