What's new

Mama Bear soaps

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Sue seems to attract problems. Guys have mentioned the fire that ravaged her house, and the B&M closing ... and of course on a slightly lighter note my favourite is when she tried to make root beer, it fermented & exploded ... coating her ceiling.

Well, Sue is Sue ... God bless her.

Honestly, I wonder how long she can keep going at this soap business. As much as she seems to enjoy it, there's always that undercurrent of quiet desperation about finances that bubbles to the surface every now and again. Sure, she gets the deluge of sympathy-and/or-last-chance orders flooding in after a Facebook post like that, and that buoys her spirits and finances for a bit ... but how long can that last? How many times will that pull her bacon out of the fire?

Well, hopefully things go well for Sue, whether she keeps making soaps or not. (But Sue, skip the root beer. :wink2:)

In regards to attempting to create alternate markets, would it be feasible for Sue to attempt to produce products for companies to sell under their brand name, like TFS is now doing for RazoRock? This would eliminate her need to market the products; it would be left up to the company attempting to sell the product to provide the packaging options and marketing and allow Sue to focus on producing the soaps to fill the packaging with, in which she has already demonstrated great success.

While, as a shaving site, the members here are mostly buying her shave soaps, they are remiss if they don't give her bath soaps a chance. I've tried many artisanal soaps, and hers are the best I've used. I've purchased them for my wife, mother and mother-in-law as gifts. They have all loved them. Do yourselves a favor and give them a try.

Mike

Sue seems to attract problems. Guys have mentioned the fire that ravaged her house, and the B&M closing ... and of course on a slightly lighter note my favourite is when she tried to make root beer, it fermented & exploded ... coating her ceiling.

Well, Sue is Sue ... God bless her.

Honestly, I wonder how long she can keep going at this soap business. As much as she seems to enjoy it, there's always that undercurrent of quiet desperation about finances that bubbles to the surface every now and again. Sure, she gets the deluge of sympathy-and/or-last-chance orders flooding in after a Facebook post like that, and that buoys her spirits and finances for a bit ... but how long can that last? How many times will that pull her bacon out of the fire?

Well, hopefully things go well for Sue, whether she keeps making soaps or not. (But Sue, skip the root beer. :wink2:)

Well said

My thoughts on how Sue could save some money, survive, and create her brand.
-Just sell the soap pucks...no bowls. I'm sure there is a minimal cost for the plastic bowls, but it may save her some dough
-Scale back to her top shaving soap sellers. Her scents are incredible, I've tried a bunch of her samples before landing on a few regulars and she has nailed the scents. However, I'm sure there is a large cost to maintaining such a large line of products.
-Scale back all the extra items in her store. I've purchased the cocoabutter soaps and colognes and they are incredible, however I probably won't purchase more colognes for years. She has alot of extra items like lotions, aftershaves, candles...she should reduce to her top sellers
-Try to partner up with other websites. B&B has some great vendors that would love to sell her soaps. I'm a big fan of Bullgoose...why not make a relationship with those guys?
-Revamp her overall marketing strategy. She needs a consistent message/brand that is definitely missing from Mama Bears. This can be tough for someone who enjoys pouring wax and not working on a marketing strategy (just like an Attorney/Plumber who has to make these decisions). Is there someone within the B&B forum who would volunteer their time to help her? Didn't someone come up with the logo for Rudy Vey brushes?

While many of us dearly love Sue's product and support financially with our money...can any of us provide any professional support for her? I understand if some feel like maybe her business model is dead and she won't survive...however maybe she could use some professional help. Just some of my thoughts...

Good ideas here. I bet she could get a lot of good metrics from analyzing her sales to identify her top sellers then take it even further and look at seasonal demand to adjust her stocks accordingly. I hope she gets on here and peruses this thread for some ideas.

Yep, I'll be another that piles on to say that she should run a sale on the stuff that's just sitting around collecting dust, then use that cash to keep producing only the products that move. Just a thought from a lowly commercial banker.

Here is the reply I got from Sue a few minutes ago.

I have been struggling to make ends meet since my home and business burned to the ground. Lately there hasn't been enough business to allow me to get much needed supplies and I decided to close down and get a job. I announced it on my facebook page.. and since then the orders have been coming in.. and I have enough to get the supplies that i need.. so I am not going to take the job and I am going to keep fighting....

Sue

Seems like she's a tough lady...I hope things work our for her.

Thanks Sue for all the great soaps and service over the years! Its sad to see such good products and such a fantastic artisan go away.

Also thanks to the OP for enough heads up to stock up before this mini shave Apocalypse.

In regards to attempting to create alternate markets, would it be feasible for Sue to attempt to produce products for companies to sell under their brand name, like TFS is now doing for RazoRock? This would eliminate her need to market the products; it would be left up to the company attempting to sell the product to provide the packaging options and marketing and allow Sue to focus on producing the soaps to fill the packaging with, in which she has already demonstrated great success.

Another fantastic idea.

Here is the reply I got from Sue a few minutes ago.

I have been struggling to make ends meet since my home and business burned to the ground. Lately there hasn't been enough business to allow me to get much needed supplies and I decided to close down and get a job. I announced it on my facebook page.. and since then the orders have been coming in.. and I have enough to get the supplies that i need.. so I am not going to take the job and I am going to keep fighting....

Sue

Seems like she's a tough lady...I hope things work our for her.

IMHO... I don't think it is fair to Sue if she is buying additional materials because a bunch of us decided to stock up after her Facebook announcement, and now she thinks that she'll be able to make a living again.

She said on the facebook page that in December she will hopefully get the insurance money back on the house so if she can make it until then she should be okay. She also seems to be looking into other methods of distribution such as Pasteur Pharmacy in NYC and other shaving stores.

Leisureguy posted a story that I recall reading about that really touches home on this. It was a great tribute to a lot of small operations of his past. It's a somber read, but also one I keep in mind when buying products. The majority of mine are from small operations, and Sue takes up about 60% of my den.

Sue, if you read this, I hope you realize how beloved you are in this community. You are a saint and a true delight. Whatever you decide, whatever your decision, I support 100% (sentiments I think this community all agrees with). You are a big part of all of our lives. For me, I use your bath soaps every morning. I shave with some amazing scents that you created many times in a week. Your passion for what you do is unbelievable. At the end of the day, though, we all know you have to look out for yourself. I hope, one way or another, you can continue, even if it is at a reduced inventory and/or manufacturing model. I wish you all the best.

Last edited by a moderator:

Well, apparently, I will be one of the few to say this, but I have never been impressed with her products.

If I were looking to create an in house brand for my store, I would want the best product available on the market, and I don't think Mama Bear is that product anymore.

There have been a lot of new products released in the last couple of years (some of them vastly superior), and this has diluted her share of the market I am sure. I am sure it was easier to stay afloat, when she was one of the few makers of shaving soap on the market.

Last edited:
IMHO... I don't think it is fair to Sue if she is buying additional materials because a bunch of us decided to stock up after her Facebook announcement, and now she thinks that she'll be able to make a living again.

+1

I think it's extremely short sighted to believe that the rush of sales today, will somehow translate into a steady demand for her products; especially considering that those who bought today, are unlikely to return to buy more product for a very long time.

I honestly hope she didn't buy the supplies, as I feel doing so would just be digging herself a deeper hole. I fully know it's hard to give up on something you have a passion for, but at some point you need to be realistic, and cut your loses.

Well, apparently, I will be the few to say this, but I have never been impressed with her products.

If I were looking to create an in house brand for my store, I would want the best product available on the market, and I don't think Mama Bear is that product anymore.

There have been a lot of new products released in the last couple of years (some of them vastly superior), and this has diluted her share of the market I am sure. I am sure it was easier to stay afloat, when she was one of the few makers of shaving soap on the market.

I agree with you. I, personally, have never been a fan either.
I agree with your point about fewer people in the market place at one time. Personally, I find the soap market nearly saturated. It's got to be hard for an artisan to stay afloat.
It seems every time you look someone new is making soap creating more competition.

It is Sue's decision what to do, but I just ordered 3 soaps including the Lemon/Rose that many of us at B&B asked for and she literally whipped up almost overnight. I don't know if her business model is correct or not, I just think we should try to support one of our great vendors...so if you can afford to pick up a couple, please do it. If you need to wait a month or two that might be better for her anyway.

Just MHO.

As mentioned above, don't forget about the bath soaps. I placed an order for 10 bars of cocoa butter bath soaps and never looked back. If she does decide to finally close up shop, I'll be buying quite a few more bars of her bath soaps to stock up (I have 8 tubs of shaving soap).

Whatever your business. If it's losing money you need to step back and evaluate where you are losing money and address it as a matter of urgency. Concentrate on the things that do well, ditch those that don't. If you still cannot address it then it's time to look at a change of direction altogether.

If the business makes money but not enough to sustain a lifestlye, then an alternative source of additional income is required, either adding a new business or part time employment.

Very well said. This is the core of any sound buisness model. I think I might just frame this somewhere just in case I ever venture into entrepreneurship :thumbup1:

makes you think you dont know what you have until its gone come into play always wanted to try it never got around to it def placing an order tonight for a few things support the local small bis, endorse what's said to be a great product and let her know people respect and love what she does.

Top Bottom