What's new

Mama bear soap 🐻

Firstly, a good shaving soap will dry the skinless, and secondly, such a soap will work as an antiseptic, and if you have irritation after shaving, the soap will prevent it. Shaving soap, and with which it is better to refrain. Also, specialized soap will last for a long time, so it is also more economical and practical https://mildsoaps.com/. I switched to such a soap a couple of years ago, and it was a great decision, although there is one thing, such a soap lather for a long time longer than shaving foam.
I looked at at this mild soaps site and didn’t see any shaving soap. So I emailed them and inquired as to whether they had any shaving soap.

Got this very timely reply:

“Hi Wally,

No, right now we only make soaps for bathing.

Kind Regards,
Mark Sanchez”

I own about four Mama Bear soaps, and a shave stick. I'm happy with them, but I will caution you that these type of glycerin soaps lather nicely & easily but don't have the slickness and post-shave feel that you would expect of an artisan croap.

Mama Bear is definitely on her scent game, with a lot of nice dupes and quality in-house scents. If you're interested in try her stuff out, I highly recommend getting a few of the smaller (1.5oz?) pucks. That way, you can try a variety of scents (as well as mentholated and non-mentholated).

Mama Bear is a great company to do business with. Quality products, and if you contact them with a question they respond promptly. The 1.5 oz. sample pucks are a great option if you're undecided. I've used many of the shaving soaps and have found all of the scents quite nice and accurately reflect their descriptions. I personally have never had an issue with them not having enough cushion, or slickness. Just bloom the puck properly before building a lather, don't over do it with the water.

As others have mentioned, glycerin based soaps have a different texture both the soap itself as well as the lather compaired to high oil/butter/fat hot process soaps. One is not better than the other, it is a matter of preference plus like any shave soap it can vary from artisan to artisan.

Never understood the animosity towards glycerin based soaps. They were extremely popular back when the fourms first started but the past few years with the explosion of high butter soaps they seem to have been. Pushed aside and considered inferior to the masses.

I started off wet shaving with glycerin based soaps like Col. Conk and think the translucent appearance is neat and is what attranced me to them in the first place. Scent options is where this type of soap really shines, they can be strongly scented with more options to choose from.

There has been some recent interest in glycerin soaps lately and think it is good to revisit soaps from our past to see if opinions still stand strong or in some cases they change for the better as we are learning techniques and variables change over time.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
As others have mentioned, glycerin based soaps have a different texture both the soap itself as well as the lather compaired to high oil/butter/fat hot process soaps. One is not better than the other, it is a matter of preference plus like any shave soap it can vary from artisan to artisan.

Never understood the animosity towards glycerin based soaps. They were extremely popular back when the fourms first started but the past few years with the explosion of high butter soaps they seem to have been. Pushed aside and considered inferior to the masses.

I started off wet shaving with glycerin based soaps like Col. Conk and think the translucent appearance is neat and is what attranced me to them in the first place. Scent options is where this type of soap really shines, they can be strongly scented with more options to choose from.

There has been some recent interest in glycerin soaps lately and think it is good to revisit soaps from our past to see if opinions still stand strong or in some cases they change for the better as we are learning techniques and variables change over time.
Perfectly stated my friend!

So would you consider this soap a glycerin based or an oil/butter/fat based soap?

Honey and beeswax (from our hives), mulberry silk, apple cider vinegar, Greek yogurt, coconut milk, aloe, castor oil, coconut oil, lard, shea butter, stearic acid, glycerin, moringa powder, peppermint & cedarwood essential oils, and dual lye. An herbal tea of chamomile, calendula, plantain, and comfrey (our favorite blend for skin soothing herbs) is infused in all our soaps.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
@Walleyeb , with glycerin listed so far down, I would not think of it as a glycerin soap. Most shave soaps do contain some amount of glycerin. A pic would be of use, as glycerin soaps are generally somewhat translucent.

Why would this differ from regular or artisan soaps, glycerin soaps can hold more scent?

Glycerin based soaps are not always strong scented and keep in mind I'm not a soap maker just a soapaholic, but many fats and butters have a scent to them like Shea Butter for example and I would think artisans would have to either add a higher quantity of fragrance oil to compensate for the scent of base ingredients or risk it being muted a little bit. Some artisan soaps you can detect the scent of base ingredients underneath the fragrance, not always but I have quite a few soaps in the den that I can smell the butters in them. Not to say that is a bad thing just a observation.

So would you consider this soap a glycerin based or an oil/butter/fat based soap?

Honey and beeswax (from our hives), mulberry silk, apple cider vinegar, Greek yogurt, coconut milk, aloe, castor oil, coconut oil, lard, shea butter, stearic acid, glycerin, moringa powder, peppermint & cedarwood essential oils, and dual lye. An herbal tea of chamomile, calendula, plantain, and comfrey (our favorite blend for skin soothing herbs) is infused in all our soaps.

Is this a etsy soap? Think i have seen this list before?

My guess would be no that's not what would normally be considered a "Glycerin based soap". As mentioned, they are usually translucent or opaque in color and usually have ingredients such as Wheat Protein, Sorbitol, and things like that are common glycerin soap ingredients.

The ingredients of the soap you listed are very unique and that is a unusual soap there. How it would lather and perform one could only guess unless first hand experience but the order they are listed in seem unusual but there are some great sounding things in that particular soap.

I use both Col Conk and Mama Bear's glycerine soaps most often as a prep soap. Lather up/wash off a time or two, then lather for shaving most often with a hard/triple milled soap.

I think Conk is slightly superior in this role, but Mama Bear's has a huge variety of scents to enjoy, and her "Ice" versions are very well mentholated.

I can use the glycerine soaps for shave lather with no problem, as well.

I use both Col Conk and Mama Bear's glycerine soaps most often as a prep soap. Lather up/wash off a time or two, then lather for shaving most often with a hard/triple milled soap.

I think Conk is slightly superior in this role, but Mama Bear's has a huge variety of scents to enjoy, and her "Ice" versions are very well mentholated.

I can use the glycerine soaps for shave lather with no problem, as well.
Awesome! Thank you for the nice review! :straight:

Top Bottom