What's new

Mama bear soap šŸ»

Just wondering thoughts on mama bear shaving soapsā€¦thinking of picking up 2 or 3 at some stage ..couple of scents interest me
Ā 

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I'm a long time fan - but haven't purchased since the change in ownership either. Her scents were always intriguing and I found the performance solid. There are those who turn their noses upward at glycerin soaps, but I've found once you learn to lather them they work ..
Ā 

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I didn't realize there was a change in ownership.
I hadn't either - somebody here informed me recently. Read also that Sue turned the operation over to her assistant - the website looks the same and says they are still located way UP there in God's Country ..
Ā 
While the scents may be good, I find the soap to just be meh.

It's glycerin based and nothing really to write home about.

However, the price they are asking for puts in the same band as Stirling, Shannon's Soaps and RazoRock and they do not compare at all to those brands in my opinion.
Ā 
I 3017'd a puck of MB's Autumn Afternoon this past Fall. As far as I can tell its exactly the same formula made the same way. Prior to Autumn Afternoon I hadn't used a glycerin soap in several years. It was outstanding and I plan on revisiting the brand soon. As others have said, gents on B&B tend to turn up their nose at glycerin based soaps. Thats a mistake I made as well, but no longer. When properly lathered they are as slick and protective as anything on the market. The only thing Mama Bears lacks is moisturizing properites. If you have skin on the dry side you may want to use an ASB during dry winter months. I actually prefer this to the oil heavy crop of artisan soaps which are so loaded with butters and oil they leave my skin feeling a bit slimy and I could never use them during warm summer months.

My current 3017 project is B&M's newest base in Vespers. Its an excellent soap all the way around. If I had to choose between the two, MB gets the nod over B&M.
Ā 
Just wondering thoughts on mama bear shaving soapsā€¦thinking of picking up 2 or 3 at some stage ..couple of scents interest me
So first if all, you will love most of the scents. She has beautiful sensory. I've purchased about 50 soaps from her and I will say that the lather is between acceptable and good. The post shave is excellent and it actually lasts a good while. It's glycerin so it's slick and nourishing but don't expect Barrister and Mann level performance. Overall, I absolutely recommend her soaps as they are a very nice addition to the den. I also think she is worth supporting. She's quite a charming woman who obviously loves her work.
Ā 
I knew about the change in ownership... couple years ago. I have visited Sue before the change and Jennifer after the change. The shops are only about 30 minutes from each other. I picked up a couple of shave soaps and other soaps this fall straight from the shop itself. I really like several of their scents. Their bath soap is really good. The shave soap is average (glycerin soap) but the scent selection is nice.
Ā 

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Add a lot of water and enjoy ā€˜em. Iā€˜ve only gone through the Polar soap (have an Unscented and a Nag Champa in sample pucks to try), so ā€œbarely mintyā€ is the only scent Iā€™ve noticed.
Ā 
Glycerin soaps are easy to lather and perform great. I prefer them to the vast majority of those claiming the artisan title. Plus the scents are great. MBā€™s Dublin Tweed was always a favorite of mine.
Ā 
I've purchased from both of the proprietors and have been very happy with them. Sue is a special lady and I hope she is enjoying her retirement in some place warm and sunny. I really like the scent selection which makes the shaves more enjoyable. Not shaving as often as I used to so I don't go through them as quickly as I once did but I would buy from Jennifer again if I needed any.
Ā 
@hcoop112 I'm still new to shave soaps so I don't have an opinion but if you're still thinking of picking some up, it's 10% off through Sunday with coupon code "snow". Just ordered myself 3 sticks, hope they're as good as most seem to be saying! šŸ¤žšŸ»
Ā 
Mama Sue is the last of our original 3 Sues ( Saint Sue & Honey Sue have passed away) and her soaps are some of the best smelling ones around. Many were made after requests from B&B members; Sue was very supportive of the site and its members. Glad to know she sold to an assistant (Named Jennifer, so that would make her "Jenny Sue"). I still have several of her soaps in my den, although I'm starting to see the bottom of the containers in many.

marty
Ā 
I bought a couple of the Mama Bear sample sizes for the holidays. They are a little narrow to load a brush from the puck. They do work just fine to rub the sample on your face and face lather. I havenā€™t figured out what Iā€™m going to do when the samples get small.

I enjoyed the soap. It lathered well and the feel was nice. Good scents.
Ā 
Top Bottom