What's new

mama bear soap vs creams

I have only been shaving with creams(taylors avocado, nancy boy, proraso, c&e) and I wanted to branch out a bit. I have been reading the rave reviews on mama bear soaps. I was curious if anyone could enlighten me with how MB compares with these excellent creams. I remember shaving with williams mug soap as a teen and it was dry,not protective, and really sucked. So, how protective/lubricating/anti razor burning/boot knocking is this mama bear? should I just stick with the creams? Thanks

jack

Jack, there's nothing like branching out and trying new things. Mama Bear as SaintCharles are great soaps. Both brands lather up and provide great lubrication. Give them a try.

Jack,
Like you, I used to be a shave cream only kind of guy. I think this is probably due to the fact that my first few soaps were very average performers and my lathering techniques at the time were not the greatest. Anyway, I digress...

There are many great shave soaps available. The two that Andrew mentions, Mama Bear's and Saint Charles Shave, are both top notch brands sold at tremendously affordable prices. Additionally, QED is also known to produce a very good soap. You can easily try all 3 brands without breaking the bank.

Thanks for your help Austin and Kyle. Do you guys feel that the quality soaps can give as good of a shave as the creams(i.e close, irratation free)?
I am relatively new to the DE world and am quickly developing some of the SCAB disorders.
Jack

Jack, the three soaps that Kyle mentioned will give you a very close and comfortable shave. They are comparable in quality and lathering quality.

Austin said:
Jack, the three soaps that Kyle mentioned will give you a very close and comfortable shave. They are comparable in quality and lathering quality.
My thoughts exactly.

Thanks again. I am off to spend more money on this journey into shavedom. Is there any kind of hotline to call to stop this purchase?

Jack

Rev. Razordly Stubbleman preaches on mexican radio of the demons of scad and rad. You can hear him about 1 am in the morning about 570 on your am dial....Many of his followers came from here and SMF...kind of like the twilight zone for shavegeeks...you just don;t know where you are when you listen to him...mesmerizing....:bored: ...he will have you convinced that you should give up your creams and soaps and follow his ideas and techniques....

just wanted to warn you......

mark the shoeshine boy

what was i just saying ?

mark the shoeshine boy said:
Rev. Razordly Stubbleman preaches on mexican radio of the demons of scad and rad. You can hear him about 1 am in the morning about 570 on your am dial....Many of his followers came from here and SMF...kind of like the twilight zone for shavegeeks...you just don;t know where you are when you listen to him...mesmerizing....:bored: ...he will have you convinced that you should give up your creams and soaps and follow his ideas and techniques....

just wanted to warn you......

mark the shoeshine boy

what was i just saying ?

This is where the ZZ Top song "Heard it on the X" comes from!

Randy

I get closer/smoother shaves than with shaving creams.

For what it is worth - I finally got my dad to try wetshaving, and he tried a wide array of soaps/creams (including high end english soaps/creams, and qed soap) and his favorite is by a vast margin mamma bear's.

Suffice to say - it ain't williams.

Joel, my dad's 84, bless him, and he got back into wetshaving our way 3 years ago. He loves Arko soap, but he hates Mama Bear's, but he also loves DR HARRIS soaps, isn't that strange?

Jeff

It is my opinion that The Honeybee Spa Shaving soaps should also be considered. They provide an exceptioally smooth and close shave. Being a shea butter soap, they also leave your face feeling really great.

Bud

gundog said:
It is my opinion that The Honeybee Spa Shaving soaps should also be considered. They provide an exceptioally smooth and close shave. Being a shea butter soap, they also leave your face feeling really great.

Bud

I agree on Honeybee and shea butter. I bought three HB soaps and I really like the rich, slick lather and the smooth shave; the soft, moisturized skin is a real plus as well. I too have been primarily a 'cream' user, but these HB soaps along with Tabac are changing my mind...and my rotation! :biggrin:

The honeybee soaps are fantastic. Like I've said before... if you think they shave great(which they do) just try using one in the shower for your body and a shampoo. Must be the SHEA BUTTER:w00t:

Jack, as far as resisting the urge to buy more soaps and creams, I think resistance is futile! I just bought another soap today! Seriously though, Mama Bear produces terrific soaps.

Jeff

Top Bottom