What's new

Mama Bear Hydrogen Scent

This isn't really a review, it's more of a commentary and let's try & put our heads together thing. I must say that right off the bat, the soap has all the qualities of a great one, but....

I used the hydrogen scent. Let me first say the soap lathers up especially well! My bathroom, when I started lathering it up, really filled up with the hydrogen aroma. If you guys are tired of whimpy smelling soaps, this bad boy will take all the pain & worry away. I lathered my face up with my brush and got mid-way through my down strokes (N to S passes) and my face started tingling a little. Giving it a little thought, I proceeded to finish up the North to South passes. I wet my face back down with hot water, lathered back up for my South to North (against the grain) and my face felt like it was on fire. It burned so bad it made my eyes water almost immediately.I quickly rinsed off my face with hot water, then cold. It was still burning somewhat...So I let it rest for a minute and tried again thinking that it might have just been a fluke. No, it burned again. So needless to say, I won't be using that one again :confused: I didn't try Dragon's Blood yet.

So I finished up with Taylor's Almond and put my face back to rest.

Just to show you how damn strong the scent of Mama Bear's soaps are, even after using Taylor's Almond, Trumper's Limes Skin food and T&H Limes EDT, I can still noticeably smell the Hydrogen scent. Not a little, NOTICEABLY.

But I'm really at a loss here..There has to be some ingredient in these two soaps (Dragon's blood & Hydrogen) that is causing this reaction.

Oh, my, could it be your skin's extremely sensitive? I had the same reaction to Taylors Eton College cream. I loved the scent, but did it ever burn the crap out of my face and neck. :frown: :frown:

Jeff

crackstar said:
Oh, my, could it be your skin's extremely sensitive? I had the same reaction to Taylors Eton College cream. I loved the scent, but did it ever burn the crap out of my face and neck. :frown: :frown:

Jeff
It was the educational environment.. Might want to try Taylor of Old BS Daycare Fragrance next time!:lol:
Jeff did you have similar reactions to any of the other Taylor cologne scented creams?

A lot of gents have a similar reaction with QED's soaps which sound very similar in composition to Mama Bears. The only thing stopping me from trying MB is I had a bad reaction to QED Peppermint & Grapefruit. I believe the problem is with the essential oils.

hi guys,

well i talked to sue about this and she's afraid that it's the "Fragrance Oil" in her blends.

She's sending me an unscented cake soap to see if I have the same reaction.

Such a pity because Hydrogen smells very nice.

I just tried Momma Bear for the first time this morning (Rosemary Mint). It was an absolutely fabulous shave. I had forgotten how much more water a glycerine soap requires (at first); but once I got the hang of it - WOW.

Great smell and a better shave.

I will work my way through all of them and see how they work for me. I am hopeful, although I've also had a couple of reactions (albeit VERY minor) to fragrance oils. Dragon's Blood smells great and it will be the next one I try.

Justso said:
well i talked to sue about this and she's afraid that it's the "Fragrance Oil" in her blends.

Was she implying that you would be better off with soap containing only EO?

I plan on ordering a few soaps from Sue but will stay away from the ones with Fragrance Oil. Those seem to be giving problems to many on this forum.

finegelernt said:

I plan on ordering a few soaps from Sue but will stay away from the ones with Fragrance Oil. Those seem to be giving problems to many on this forum.

For me, yes she was implying that I stay away from those with Fragrance Oils. For you, you may be just fine...

finegelernt said:

Greetings,
I would recommend you pick up at least one container of a FO based soap. The scents are incredible. It should be noted that only a handful of individuals have has reactions. There are many, including myself, that have not had reactions and are enjoying the many variations available. Either way you will find Mama Bear's soaps to provide an excellent shave. Let us know what you pickup. :smile:

No, I didn't Ron, I guess Eton College and the kind of skin I have just don't get along. That particular scent was brutal on my face, what a bad reaction I had from it.

Jeff

crackstar said:
No, I didn't Ron, I guess Eton College and the kind of skin I have just don't get along. That particular scent was brutal on my face, what a bad reaction I had from it.

Jeff
That's too bad Jeff, it is an extremely pleasant fragrance.

Alas,

I seem to also be a member of the "fragrance oil stings" club. :mad3:

I used the WONDERFUL smelling Hydrogen scent yesterday and although I felt some tingling on the first pass; by the fourth I REALLY felt it. No redness and it went away quickly afterward, though.

That stinks because I am sure I can expect that from the other 'non-EO' scents that I have from Sue. The last time I had that happen was the QED original Rose (which STILL smells damned good!!:tongue_sm ).

Next up for the "burn in:" Dragon's Blood.:mad5: :yikes: :out:

There is a lot of discussion of the pro's and con's of Essential Oils (EO's) being superior to Fragrant Oils (FO's). Everyone has their favorites and I am not recommending one over the other. I do, however, believe that there is a misconception that EO's are somehow "safer", so therefore they are far superior.

Here is a small EO safety list easily found by an internet search:
You should not use water to slow the burn from an essential oil. Use vegetable oil instead which dilutes the EO. Keep away from eyes and if accidently gotten in the eye, use vegetable oil and not water to dilute. Water will generally increase the burn. The throat and face are especially vulnerable to sensitivity if an EO is too strong. I would suspect some Aftershaves would also increase the burn as water or aqua is an ingredient as is sometimes alcohol.

Some EO's have hormonal qualities and should be avoided by pregnant women unless ok'd by her physician. They should never be used on the tender skin of children. Some EO's have a high phenol content and can damage contact lenses.

Those with high blood pressure, epilepsy or are prone to convulsions should consult their physician prior to using EO's for therapy. If you are using a new EO you should always do a skin 'patch' test prior to use. Some EO's may cause sun sensitivity.

Both Fragrant Oils and Essential Oils can damage finished surfaces. I've done it myself with FO's, more than once; fortunately not on a area of importance. Fragrant Oils also can cause a skin sensitivity, redness, burning, etc. I've had customers (3) that indicated sensitivity to Almond. Since I personally make all of my own soaps, I have cut back on strength when using Almond. As a soap maker it is difficult to balance the wants of customers who enjoy rich fragrance, with the balance of fragrance that may irritate.

If you are unsure of any fragrance, whether it be from an EO or an FO, always do a skin "patch" test for 24 hours to be sure. It's better to have a dime size, red, inner elbow than 'lobster face' at work or out socially.

Personally, I use mainly FO's, cost is the main factor, selection is another. As above, FO's also have their safety issues. If you do experience any adverse reaction to any product please let the vendor know the details. Even with large resellers, you should at least receive a refund. Don't give up on either FO's or EO's. It may just be that particular EO or FO fragrance and not the soap ingredients such as I have experienced with my Almond soaps.
Sue - (SCS Sue)

Excellent Info Sue!

There's no question that being enveloped in fragrance is a large part of the wet shaving experience. I don't envy manufacturers having to walk the fine line of pleasing those of us calling for stronger fragrances while still keeping it compatible with the majority of customers.

Sue said:
There is a lot of discussion of the pro's and con's of Essential Oils (EO's) being superior to Fragrant Oils (FO's). Everyone has their favorites and I am not recommending one over the other. I do, however, believe that there is a misconception that EO's are somehow "safer", so therefore they are far superior.

Here is a small EO safety list easily found by an internet search:
You should not use water to slow the burn from an essential oil. Use vegetable oil instead which dilutes the EO. Keep away from eyes and if accidently gotten in the eye, use vegetable oil and not water to dilute. Water will generally increase the burn. The throat and face are especially vulnerable to sensitivity if an EO is too strong. I would suspect some Aftershaves would also increase the burn as water or aqua is an ingredient as is sometimes alcohol.

Some EO's have hormonal qualities and should be avoided by pregnant women unless ok'd by her physician. They should never be used on the tender skin of children. Some EO's have a high phenol content and can damage contact lenses.

Those with high blood pressure, epilepsy or are prone to convulsions should consult their physician prior to using EO's for therapy. If you are using a new EO you should always do a skin 'patch' test prior to use. Some EO's may cause sun sensitivity.

Both Fragrant Oils and Essential Oils can damage finished surfaces. I've done it myself with FO's, more than once; fortunately not on a area of importance. Fragrant Oils also can cause a skin sensitivity, redness, burning, etc. I've had customers (3) that indicated sensitivity to Almond. Since I personally make all of my own soaps, I have cut back on strength when using Almond. As a soap maker it is difficult to balance the wants of customers who enjoy rich fragrance, with the balance of fragrance that may irritate.

If you are unsure of any fragrance, whether it be from an EO or an FO, always do a skin "patch" test for 24 hours to be sure. It's better to have a dime size, red, inner elbow than 'lobster face' at work or out socially.

Personally, I use mainly FO's, cost is the main factor, selection is another. As above, FO's also have their safety issues. If you do experience any adverse reaction to any product please let the vendor know the details. Even with large resellers, you should at least receive a refund. Don't give up on either FO's or EO's. It may just be that particular EO or FO fragrance and not the soap ingredients such as I have experienced with my Almond soaps.
Sue - (SCS Sue)

I've got to consult my physician before shaving? He's got a beard!

Randy

Randy,
LOL, pregnancy aside, I noted that B/P is in bold. That only refers to using EO's for therapy. For instance PPL who use lavender to relax, that type of thing. I personally do not know one person who uses EO's for therapy do you?

I keep my frig in the garage stocked with soda, wine, beer, coolers and snacks. I can see it now, "Oh no, don't drink that to unwind after your bad day.....here, smell this lavender instead"...... I just don't see that.
Sue

Sue said:
Randy,
LOL, pregnancy aside, I noted that B/P is in bold. That only refers to using EO's for therapy. For instance PPL who use lavender to relax, that type of thing. I personally do not know one person who uses EO's for therapy do you?

I keep my frig in the garage stocked with soda, wine, beer, coolers and snacks. I can see it now, "Oh no, don't drink that to unwind after your bad day.....here, smell this lavender instead"...... I just don't see that.
Sue

Well, I'm not pregnant...maybe I should buy a test kit! :lol:

Randy

We're here for you man. No more snorting lather out of the PJ2 after your shave. :a23: Just set it down, and walk away....after you clean it of course. :biggrin:

Top Bottom