What's new

Malfunctions

I have that album as well, 2 white vinyl albums in a solid white sleeve. Now I feel old as well.

"Old 78's, 45's, and then 33's everywhere in my parents home. Turntables and consoles. As a child, I thought it was amazing. As a teenager, I dodged 8 track but got hooked on cassettes. Albums were laid aside for over ten years as my world became an adventure of world travel. Coming back in my late 20s and early 30s I really discovered the wonder of fidelity turntables weighing 100 pounds, needles tracking in single-digit grams, electrostatic panels which filled a small room, and perfectly phased arrays based upon equal wire run lengths and perfectly parallel tube amplifiers. Now, now, I'm lucky to discover HD streaming of libraries I could never have held managed, and stored even in a huge house. And surprisingly I'm still thankful for headphones, today, which have reproductive qualities one could never have bought back in the day.

Interesting how the world tells one that time is in motion and nothing material stays. Cheers my friends.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Malfunctions? We don't need no stinkin' malfunctions.

1604098783928.png

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Taran Tactical on a duty gun? I see two issues...
1) Race gun parts are just that. Race gun parts. Not a big deal on a COF but in a life or death situation? Pass. There are no DQs or reshoots there. I want plus 2 I’ll stick to factory parts that have been vetted. Not saying things can’t go sideways regardless but someone like Glocks R&D and testing budget probably eclipses Taran’s annual income by orders of magnitude!
2) Racegun parts on a duty gun? That can make things of sideways quick in the courtroom in a justified shooting situation I would assume. “Officer so and so, why exactly did you need to modify your duty gun with “John Wick” gun parts?” No bueno In today’s climate if a department says “You can carry this weapon with this ammo” that is gonna be it. I’m an not LE, just a wanna be shootist and I will modify the crap outta my target rifles but my CCW? Stays the way it came from the factory. I’m not against better grips, night sights, etc but stuff like a trigger job (or trigger) and or the latest “zombie killer razor core hyper velocity” whatever ammo. No way! If (and I pray it doesn’t ever happen) I am sitting in the box at a civil trial post shooting I don’t want my gear to be downfall (in more ways that one)...

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Taran Tactical on a duty gun? I see two issues...
1) Race gun parts are just that. Race gun parts. Not a big deal on a COF but in a life or death situation? Pass. There are no DQs or reshoots there. I want plus 2 I’ll stick to factory parts that have been vetted. Not saying things can’t go sideways regardless but someone like Glocks R&D and testing budget probably eclipses Taran’s annual income by orders of magnitude!
2) Racegun parts on a duty gun? That can make things of sideways quick in the courtroom in a justified shooting situation I would assume. “Officer so and so, why exactly did you need to modify your duty gun with “John Wick” gun parts?” No bueno In today’s climate if a department says “You can carry this weapon with this ammo” that is gonna be it. I’m an not LE, just a wanna be shootist and I will modify the crap outta my target rifles but my CCW? Stays the way it came from the factory. I’m not against better grips, night sights, etc but stuff like a trigger job (or trigger) and or the latest “zombie killer razor core hyper velocity” whatever ammo. No way! If (and I pray it doesn’t ever happen) I am sitting in the box at a civil trial post shooting I don’t want my gear to be downfall (in more ways that one)...

Excellent post Chris.

I’m sure most veteran LE’s agree with your synopsis. I had mentioned in one of the first posts in this thread of mine, that the officer in question, probably acquired those extensions somewhere in the time between this current qualification and the qualification from 2019. If he didn’t tell anyone, I doubt anyone who’s busy working the street would even notice if that particular officer wasn’t in a shooting.

This isn’t the military, the reality is most officers go their entire career, without ever discharging their service weapon.

I can bet a bag of Oreo cookies, that Officer only found out that they didn’t work and it is a big “no no” at the exact same time as the range officers and the other 19 officers on the line found out.

And while I don’t know first hand the conclusion of that matter, I have no doubts our department and range officers have the professionalism; and handled and corrected that situation with the utmost respect and professional courtesy to that officer, the second it came to their attention.

But this isn’t a bunch of young cadets in the academy. The range officers in charge were not going to tear him down or make an example out of him in front of a hundred of his peers. We don’t handle veteran patrol officers like cadets in the academy.

Last edited:

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Excellent post Chris.

I’m sure most veteran LE’s agree with your synopsis. I had mentioned in one of the first posts in this thread of mine, that the officer in question, probably acquired those extensions somewhere in the time between this current qualification and the qualification from 2019. If he didn’t tell anyone, I doubt anyone who’s busy working the street would even notice if that particular officer wasn’t in a shooting.

This isn’t the military, the reality is most officers go their entire career, without ever discharging their service weapon.

I can bet a bag of Oreo cookies, that Officer only found out that they didn’t work and it is a big “no no” at the exact same time as the range officers and the other 19 officers on the line found out.

And while I don’t know first hand the conclusion of that matter, I have no doubts our department and range officers have the professionalism; and handled and corrected that situation with the utmost respect and professional courtesy to that officer, the second it came to their attention.

But this isn’t a bunch of young cadets in the academy. The range officers in charge were not going to tear him down or make an example out of him in front of a hundred of his peers. We don’t handle veteran patrol officers like cadets in the academy.
I hear what you are saying Rob. Not encouraging the officer to get torn down in front of the group or anything like that and I am glad that the failure occurred in a controlled setting. I was just musing on mission critical gear and the hyper sensitive, hyper litigious world we live in. I think I just heard the ban cat look up from his ball of yarn 🤣 so I shall say no more in public.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I hear what you are saying Rob. Not encouraging the officer to get torn down in front of the group or anything like that and I am glad that the failure occurred in a controlled setting. I was just musing on mission critical gear and the hyper sensitive, hyper litigious world we live in. I think I just heard the ban cat look up from his ball of yarn 🤣 so I shall say no more in public.

I understand and agree with your assessment on mission critical gear. Departmental SOP’s, cannot possibly cover or list, all the possible “what if’s” of what possible action an officer might attempt to do with his equipment. There is just no way to see into the future and guess ahead of what someone might do.

for example. Nowhere, in are departments policies or SOP’s, does it mention anything about an officer using their duty holster cross draw.

So, would an officer attempt this since it isn’t specifically mentioned? I would hope not. Have I ever seen it? Never. But I’m almost positive, if an patrol officer came strolling into line up for his shift with his shiny patent leather, level 4 holster cross draw? He would get a quick education and reality check from everyone in the room most likely.

Police officers are human and their knowledge, experiences, tastes and characters vary widely. When it comes to firearms, other than what they were taught in the academy, some have the knowledge to improve their gear wisely and some don’t.

For instance, in the hot and humid summer, back in my patrol days, we would duck tape a vacuum cleaner hose to the air conditioner vent in are patrol units and stuff the hose down into our uniform shirt between our vest and body to cool off. Now, the young up and comers have evolved and streamlined this trick over the years and they use thinner Cannula tubing they get from medical supply stores which they can slide Much further into their vest and reach more places to cool off than that large vacuum tubing we used.

Another example is all officers are now required to carry a life saving tourniquet on their belt. As if officers didn’t already have enough stuff they carry there where very little room can be found. Many officers, instead of using the added carrier which comes with the tourniquet, which is big and bulky, they have instead came to use a women’s hair tie which they wrap around the tourniquet and their duty belt.

We have found, this idea, to be a strong, secure, light and streamlined efficient way of carrying a tourniquet which is quick to deploy, so we allow it. There was actually an officer shooting here in another neighboring department where an officer there, was shot in the leg during a traffic stop. His femoral artery was severed.

He had no tourniquet on his person and would have quickly bled out. An off duty officer from our department, who was driving on the highway past this officers jurisdiction at the time, heard this officers call for help and turned his vehicle around on the highway going the wrong way on the shoulder and exiting down the on ramp to assist that officer from another department.

Grapevine has it, that officer was reprimanded for driving illegally the opposite way on the shoulder of the highway in his personally owned vehicle. But he saved that officers life.

Last edited:
Top Bottom