What's new

Making Zamac last.

I don't mind Zamac razors, they do tend to wear though. On my Merkur they tend to wear on the bottom plate where the handle screws into the plate. Is there anyway to minimize that wear? Maybe a little Vaseline or something like that. I've had my HD about 3 months and it's showing some signs already. Thanks much everyome.

Bill

I use little rubber o-rings between the baseplate and the handle, which keeps the handle from wearing the plating. It also keep the threads nice and dry. At 2 cents a pop, it's an easy fix. I forget what size they are, but if you use the forum search bar for "o-ring" a few links should pop up.

I don't mind Zamac razors, they do tend to wear though. On my Merkur they tend to wear on the bottom plate where the handle screws into the plate. Is there anyway to minimize that wear? Maybe a little Vaseline or something like that. I've had my HD about 3 months and it's showing some signs already. Thanks much everyome.

Bill
If it is showing wear after 3 months you are screwing it too tight; chrome is a tough material. Just tight enough to stop it coming apart is all that is needed.
I use light machine oil on the threads and wear interfaces to minimise wear; mineral oil will do just as well.

M

member 119848

Some member used silicon rings where the handle meets the plate.
I'm afraid I can´t find the thread anymore. But the idea might be worth considering.

The tiniest dab of Vaseline or white grease on the threads, maybe twice a year.

I do this as well. I forgot to mention that it's a good idea to use silicone or viton O-rings because they are oil resistant. Normal rubber O-rings don't last very long at all in the presence of mineral oil or petroleum jelly. The viton variety don't cost much more. I think my little bag of 100 Viton O-rings was just $5.00 shipped. It's a cheap insurance policy :)

Last edited:
One thing that many people don't realize is that basically all of our 3 piece razors are "adjustables". You can actually increase the aggression of a razor by backing the handle off slightly. This increases the exposure of the blade. King Gillette actually designed even the earliest "Old Type" razors to function in this way. The spring tension of the bent blade helps keep things snug. The O-ring helps with this as well. It won't turn a DE89 into a Slim but it does make a difference. It's similar to shimming, but without the fuss. As a general rule, the more the blade is bent the more adjustable it is.

Take a look at points 28 & 29 in the 1930's Gillette shaving booklet "3 Reasons Why":

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Within reason, you don't want to lose the advantage of using a zamak razor: it's pretty cheap to replace and doesn't warrant a lot of fussing. An o-ring is easy enough.

Don't over tighten, snug is fine.
Don't take it apart after every shave, wait till the blade is done. (Minimizes wear on the threads)
Don't drop it.
Once the plating is compromised, the zinc will start corroding.
Many vintage zinc razors are still going strong, don't worry about it.

If the razor falls apart, buy another one. No biggie.

Within reason, you don't want to lose the advantage of using a zamak razor: it's pretty cheap to replace and doesn't warrant a lot of fussing. An o-ring is easy enough.

Generally this is true, but if you've got a 2011 R41 or a Shavecraft Tech, which are world-class zamak razors and no longer produced, an O-Ring and a dab of mineral oil isn't just a sensible precaution, it's a moral duty! :001_tongu

I agree with your larger point though, if you've got a $15.00 razor that's common as dirt (EJ DE89 clones), the easiest solution is to take the monarchy approach and buy yourself "an heir and a spare". That's what I did with my favorite razor of all time, the RazoRock TeckII. I got the first one as a free gift with a massive order at Italian Barber, and I bought the next three for $3.99 apiece the following year during their annual black friday sale. $12.00 and I'm set for life (apart from spending $200-$300 per year in the fruitless search for an even better razor).
proxy.php

Generally this is true, but if you've got a 2011 R41 or a Shavecraft Tech, which are world-class zamak razors and no longer produced, an O-Ring and a dab of mineral oil isn't just a sensible precaution, it's a moral duty! :001_tongu

I agree with your larger point though, if you've got a $15.00 razor that's common as dirt (EJ DE89 clones), the easiest solution is to take the monarchy approach and buy yourself "an heir and a spare".
proxy.php

Shavecraft Tech is an aluminum composite. Not sure exactly what that means in terms of durability but presume superior to plated Zamak.

You're right about the Teck II heckuva thing for the $8 I paid for the Baili version (only bought one though).

I agree with your larger point though, if you've got a $15.00 razor that's common as dirt (EJ DE89 clones), the easiest solution is to take the monarchy approach and buy yourself "an heir and a spare". That's what I did with my favorite razor of all time, the RazoRock TeckII. I got the first one as a free gift with a massive order at Italian Barber, and I bought the next three for $3.99 apiece the following year during their annual black friday sale. $12.00 and I'm set for life (apart from spending $200-$300 per year in the fruitless search for an even better razor).
proxy.php
Absolutely! Has worked for me! I did the same and purchased a lifetime supply of the TecK II during the Black Friday sale. I also use a silicone O ring to make the razor "adjustable" by turning the handle out 3/4 of a turn from snug. It gives the razor a bit more aggression which is perfect for me. I also use a silicone ring on the handle to provide an assist to grip the handle which can get slippery when covered with lather.

Take a look at points 28 & 29 in the 1930's Gillette shaving booklet "3 Reasons Why":

A little off topic but does anybody actually use the "Diagonal Stroke" mentioned in point 26 of that instruction manual??
I thought I had DE shaving mostly figured out but I've never heard of that before and I'm having trouble understanding how it won't cut you?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
If you do not have O-rings, I use electric connectors that are made of copper with a aluminum coating(softer than chrome). Snip the ear off connector and use it, easy to handle and work well so far, the washer takes the handle surface from removing the Chrome from base plate. The small connector is not the ones I used, just a example.
20180605_123116_crop_303x291.jpg

I use small nylon washers I get in a package of 5 from Lowes. (In the special items drawers.) No wear on anything and makes for snug fit to handle.

Don't over tighten, snug is fine.
Don't take it apart after every shave, wait till the blade is done. (Minimizes wear on the threads)
Don't drop it.
Once the plating is compromised, the zinc will start corroding.
Many vintage zinc razors are still going strong, don't worry about it.

If the razor falls apart, buy another one. No biggie.

+1!! Great suggestions. The point is that with reasonable care your razor may last a long time!

The cheapest solution so far: take a nylon sheet protector, like those for archiving paper sheets in a file folder. These plastic "bags" have holes on one side. Take a scissor and cut out a small portion containing a hole. You'll end with a small plastic square with a hole in the center. Put this square on the exterior side of the base plate through the screw, then screw lightly the handle. That's all. No need for vaseline, for rubber o-rings, the baseplate and the handle will never make contact metal-to-metal. Such a nylon protector is easy to find in any office. A single "bag" will provide 5 small perforated squares, enough for 5 different razors.

Top Bottom