What's new

Making time to shave in the mornings

As a beginner I have a question to seasoned pros on B&B. How do you make time to wet shave in the mornings? I wake up at 4.30am to go to the gym every weekday then come home have breakfast, shower and get ready for work. As a beginner it takes me too long to fit in a 3 pass DE wet shave in the mornings especially when you take into account cleaning up time. Maybe I'll become quicker at actual shaving as I gain experience.

In the meantime, my new strategy is to do a 3 pass shave before I go to bed then a quick 1 pass shave in the morning. I was wondering if there is anything wrong with this?

In the meantime, my new strategy is to do a 3 pass shave before I go to bed then a quick 1 pass shave in the morning. I was wondering if there is anything wrong with this?

Nothing wrong with that idea at all, but you may do better making 2 passes morning and night. Making lather and cleaning up will take almost the same time and spending a couple of extra minutes shaving in the morning to look (and feel) better all day is a good investment. The more often one shaves, the quicker one learns - if you are able to shave twice a day you must already be doing a good job.

Yeah, 0400 is to early for me to shave. Have switched to evening showers and shaves, with good results. Occasionally a second shower/shave after work without issues.

I'm lucky. My work has a gym on site, so I just work out during lunch. If not, I probably wouldn't have enough time.

As a beginner I have a question to seasoned pros on B&B. How do you make time to wet shave in the mornings? I wake up at 4.30am to go to the gym every weekday then come home have breakfast, shower and get ready for work. As a beginner it takes me too long to fit in a 3 pass DE wet shave in the mornings especially when you take into account cleaning up time. Maybe I'll become quicker at actual shaving as I gain experience.

Well as to your strategy if it works or you, continue. Though like others have said, I would do a two pass shave in the morning, but it depends on how your beard is, and if you're useing a brush and soap rather than canned goop it takes the same amount of time to build a lather for a one pass shave as it does for a three *** shave. Everyone's beard is different. Mine is medium but grows slowly so I only have to shave it every third day (but I try for every other day).

As for making time to shave, well there are all sorts of different strategies. One can use canned goop or a product like Cremo for example. Or one could wake earlier (by far the easiest), or one could shower and shave at the gym. Over all, from what I've learned in my time here is that wet shaving is extremely individual, what works for me may work for someone else, but more than likely doesn't, and vise versa.

For me, since I'm a chef and work in a hot and greasy environment I do all my personal hygiene routines in the evenings, showering, shaving, shaving my head all that stuff. As such it is really part of how I unwind after a day at work. So "making time" to treat myself to fine lathers and such isn't a big deal, it is something I look forward to doing.

A 3 pass shave is almost 12 minutes for me in the morning. Cleaning the gear is the longest. if you already do 1 pass in the morning, might as well squeeze in 2 more, wont take much more time.

If possible, I like the shower/shave at the gym idea. People seeing you do it would spread the practice, and while it might feel a bit weird the first couple of times, you would soon become the coolest guy in the building.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Whatever works but I don't find 2 additional passes take that much longer for me. My biggest time saver was going synthetic weekdays so I could skip a mug and hot water dunk for the brush. Illumination of the time of the soak and clean up for the mug worked wonders for me.

Sounds like you have a reasonable approach to me. With time your shaves will get faster as your technique improves. But, in my case never as fast as with a 1 pass cart shave. The problem with a cart is that the shaves are not as good and I tend to get ingrown hairs and skin issues.

Top Bottom