What's new

Making the call

I knew one day I would have to make this decision, but in my heart I hoped I’d never have to. While I’m typing this, my best friend of 15 years lays wrapped in a blanket on his bed beside mine, sleeping. My “baby boy” Diesel (my avatar) is not eating and has had 2 trips to the vet in the last 7 days. Yesterday I received results from his blood test and it was one of the worst case scenarios. ”His phosphorus levels are high and looking at these numbers, I’d estimate he’s lost 1/2 to 3/4 of the function of his kidneys” the vet explained. I didn’t want to believe it...I still don’t want to believe it.

They’ve offered and IV treatment that “may” help push the toxins out and get him eating again. However, it will not reverse what’s happening to his kidneys.

And this has been happening so fast, as it usually does with our pets. One day he’s eating, out for his walk, snuggling with my daughters. The next few days it’s been pleading with him to eat rice and chicken broth and forcing pills down his throat. Yesterday he ate for the first time in 3 days. This morning we’re back to square one.

Ultimately I know what I’m going to have to do. There’s a part of me that felt like writing this out would justify and give me strength to make the decision to have him put down. Of course, there’s that little voice of hope in the back of my head that keeps trying to convince me that he’ll come around... and in reading this and having had to put down his brother Harley 5 years ago, you and I all know our furry family members won’t ever recover.

I hate this. I know ending any potential suffering is the right move. But the feelings of selfishness and guilt are overwhelming. I’d never do anything to hurt my boy, but the conflict of putting him down makes me feel like I’m doing more harm than good. It’s so stupid, I know. I’m waiting to hear back about the IV treatment today and I guess I’ll make a decision from there.

I wish dogs would live as long as we do. For a family member who never really says anything, they sure do understand us, don’t they?

Wish me luck.

Brad.

I feel for you Brad. I had to say goodbye my buddy Boomer (boxer) about four years ago. He had a fast growing cancer and all we could do was give him some meds to keep him comfortable. After a couple weeks of this as he laid next to me on the couch he looked up at me and I knew it was time.

I understand the overwhelming feelings, especially those of selfishness. I knew it was time but didn't want to accept the fact that he was tired and hurting because he was only six. Dogs are man's best friend and there is no truer statement. They understand our emotions more than we do at times, they are always have our backs, and are compassionate beyond comprehension. It is just a shame they can't be with us longer. It just isn't fair.

Best of luck to you.

I know exactly how you feel . . . I will leave you with this, in hopes that it will help ease your anxiety over what you know needs doing. It won't make the decision easier, but it may help you make it with more certainty that it's the correct one.

They are not meant to be OUR lifelong companions . . . we are meant to be THEIRS.

It's not fair, but it is the way of things. I hope you enjoy the time you have left with him.

Try not to stress over the "making the decision" part. I think when it is time, you will know. It will not be easy, or comfortable, or whatever, but there will be a certain amount of peace in the midst of the pain. Very hard situation. While you wait for that, give him love and know he loves you.

I'm sorry to hear about this. From what I know, renal insufficiency can be acute or chronic. The fact that this came on suddenly might suggest acute kidney problems which could be caused by something like ingesting poison or an infection. I don't know if you have ruled these out already. Chronic renal insufficiently takes time to develop and the onset of symptoms would be gradual. Renal insufficiency will cause the blood chemistry to go out of balance and that could lead to other problems with the heart for example. But as I understand it, the chronic form can be treated with diet and some medicines so maybe he is not ready to leave yet.

Last edited:

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Hope Diesel is managing ok. I’ve been right where you are, and it’s very difficult. Sincerely hope you get through some of the challenges ahead. Good luck to you both!

Hope Diesel is managing ok. I’ve been right where you are, and it’s very difficult. Sincerely hope you get through some of the challenges ahead. Good luck to you both!

This is where I’m at. I’m sitting in the parking lot at the vet’s office after dropping off Diesel. They’re going to use the IV fluid treatment and the outlook is more promising than not. He still has energy, he’s still up and moving, he’s just not eating. So hopefully this brings his levels in check. I’m going to let him spend the night at the vet since I’m renovating my floor and the air compressor noise isn’t doing him any favours in helping him rest. (Plus I’ll be done when he comes home.)

Here’s hoping.

Thanks gentlemen. I really appreciate it.

Having two labs that are getting old, I can sympathize with you. It is a hard reality with our pets who become such a part of us. Enjoy whatever time you have left, as I am certain your pup will as well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
He‘s in good hands and perhaps responding to treatment? Good to know he has energy and movement, that’s positive. Hopefully after a night at the vet he may come around? I know it’s tough when your bud is struggling, hang in there.

Over the years, we have lost two dogs and quite a few cats. We had to put our Goldendoodle Lucy down two years ago the day after Easter. She had just been to the vet a couple of weeks earlier and seemed in fine health. On Easter Sunday, she seemed fine. She shared our meal with us and we took her out for her daily run. The next morning, she would not eat and could hardly move so we took her to the vet. They used a needle to remove a lot of blood from her abdomen. X-Rays showed her to have multiple tumors on her liver that had ruptured, causing the internal bleeding. There was nothing that could be done to save her. She continued to lick my wife's face as the injected the drugs into her vein to end her suffering. Unfortunately, that was the beginning of our suffering as we miss her dearly. She slept in the bed with us every night and was always there to greet us at the door when we returned home, even if it was only a short walk to the mailbox. It may seem strange, but the grieving process was far more difficult when Lucy died than it was when my mother and father died. Our pets become full-fledged members of our family.

Thus, when I say that I am truly sorry for your loss, please understand that I know exactly what you are going through.

We brought our boy home yesterday afternoon. The IV treatment didn’t do much and we were advised they could not get Diesel to eat and that his levels had gone up. We decided that since he is not suffering and is not in pain, he would remain at home and we would keep him as comfortable as possible. We got him to eat a bit of meat and vegetables the last 2 days, which is still not great, but he has not lost any weight.

Today my mother and my mother in law came to visit and he was up and moving to go and say hello. He’s brought himself to the door when he has to go outside, and he’s been trying to catch up on sleep, which we gladly oblige. I know it’s only a matter of time, but I‘d rather he be surrounded by his family that loves him, than sit in a strange kennel, alone and hooked up to tubes.

My wife has always maintained that our furry family "let us know" when they are ready. God's blessings to you and Diesel, and to your family, as well. Now I am going to go cry quietly.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Be right there next to him and hold him at the end- he deserves it. My cats are young, but I have contemplated the same situation. They are family, and deserve to be treated as such. We may understand the fear, but they do not

Be right there next to him and hold him at the end- he deserves it. My cats are young, but I have contemplated the same situation. They are family, and deserve to be treated as such. We may understand the fear, but they do not

Exactly this . . . I read an article written by a Vet a year or so back. The last thing your pet will do, is look to you for reassurance. If you're there, they know that everything is okay, no matter what else they feel . . . until they cannot feel anything else but the love you share.

Dammit, who's cutting onions in my office?

Top Bottom