What's new

Making the call

They are not meant to be OUR lifelong companions . . . we are meant to be THEIRS.

I was going to write exactly this. I lost one of my cats last year, and it was absolutely devastating. Looking back at my post, you said this exact thing to me, and it really stuck with me, and helped. So, thank you.

The last few days have been quite emotional. We’ve gone from eating very little to eating nothing. Diesel can no longer walk with stability and can no longer climb stairs without losing balance. He’s had multiple accidents in the house and has distanced himself from my wife, kids and myself. These are all tell tale signs that not only is he ready to move on, but it’s selfish of us to hold on to him.

I’ve lost focus at work and lost sleep worrying about him. It’s not fair to either of us at this point.

While I wish nothing more for him to miraculously recover, regain his youth and be filled with energy... I know there’s nothing more I can offer him other than comfort and love.

With that, my wife and I will be bringing him to the vet in the morning to say our final goodbyes. Rest assured, while I know this is the right decision, I do not want to do this at all. But we will be right there with him until the very end. I wouldn’t have it any other way.

I do believe we see our pets again when we leave this place. I’m trying to find my own comfort in knowing that Diesel with be with his brother, Harley, again after 5 years apart. He’ll also be with Kasey, the last dog I had with when I lived with my parents. She took on quite the motherly role when I brought Diesel home.

I’m both heartbroken that he’ll be gone and yet relieved that he’ll be at peace.

Attachments

• 6C85BBF1-E07D-4A16-B022-A730A710241B.jpeg
    6C85BBF1-E07D-4A16-B022-A730A710241B.jpeg
    877.2 KB · Views: 17
Ah geez . . . my family does this thing. Started with my late Father. If a family member needs a little "divine" help, for whatever reason, Dad would light a candle to signify his thoughts were with them. This one's for Diesel . . . and for you and yours.

candle.jpg

I am so sorry to hear your plight. My fur baby is ten and I wonder every so often when her last day will be. My last dog lost control at the end and had a lot of accidents. When she went outside, she hid in the bushes and looked out at us as if she was embarrassed. We knew then that the time had come.

When it’s time for my current baby I want to be sure I am holding her at the end. I don’t want her leaving this world alone.

The tears well up in my eyes as I read your story. May God be with you and help you with your decision and the final task.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
It's one of the hardest decisions to make, but we know when it is the right one. Just remember that Diesel is going to a better place and will no longer be in discomfort. Stay strong. My thoughts are with you.

The last few days have been quite emotional. We’ve gone from eating very little to eating nothing. Diesel can no longer walk with stability and can no longer climb stairs without losing balance. He’s had multiple accidents in the house and has distanced himself from my wife, kids and myself. These are all tell tale signs that not only is he ready to move on, but it’s selfish of us to hold on to him.

I’ve lost focus at work and lost sleep worrying about him. It’s not fair to either of us at this point.

While I wish nothing more for him to miraculously recover, regain his youth and be filled with energy... I know there’s nothing more I can offer him other than comfort and love.

With that, my wife and I will be bringing him to the vet in the morning to say our final goodbyes. Rest assured, while I know this is the right decision, I do not want to do this at all. But we will be right there with him until the very end. I wouldn’t have it any other way.

I do believe we see our pets again when we leave this place. I’m trying to find my own comfort in knowing that Diesel with be with his brother, Harley, again after 5 years apart. He’ll also be with Kasey, the last dog I had with when I lived with my parents. She took on quite the motherly role when I brought Diesel home.

I’m both heartbroken that he’ll be gone and yet relieved that he’ll be at peace.

It's heartbreaking having to go through this.

ANd ask the vet if they can do this at home. I know that some vets are returning to doing this at home to reduce the stress for bohe the family and the pet..

But always remember all the joy your boy has brought you and your family...

This is hard.

We scheduled an appointment for 10 am today to say goodbye. Sadly, I woke up to banging and scratching at 1:20 am to find my baby boy convulsing in a major seizure. My wife Angela and I comforted him immediately and I rushed him to the 24 hr vet. I told him over and over again how much we loved him and what a great boy he was. I couldn’t drive fast enough.

At 2:00 am I let him go.

As I type this, I’m crying my eyes out. So please..forgive any spelling mistakes.

I loved this dog more than I love most humans. 15 great years we had together. I’m going to miss him something fierce.

May God bless you. I know you've had a very tough go of it and it's not over as you continue to grieve. There's no remedy for what you are going through except time. I've been through this but this is no comfort to you right now. Please, hang in there and here's to hoping that in time your pain is mostly replaced with the loving memories of your faithful companion.

I am so terribly sorry for your loss. We have had to put quite a few down over the years, so I understand the pain you are feeling. It sounds like you gave your little guy an incredible home, and I'm sure he knows how loved and appreciated he was. We are so lucky to have dogs be a part of our lives, if only for a relatively short period of time.

I'm so, so sorry for your loss. Pets are family. The hurt is the same as it is when we lose our two-legged family members.

It sounds like you gave him a wonderful life, surrounded and filled with love. Every dog should be so lucky.

Didn't read all the posts, couldn't as I got the jist of what's happened just by the opening sentence of the post above. Harvest moon (Neil Young) on the radio now crying like a baby. So, so sorry for your loss. The pain will pass but the memories will stay. Again sorry for you.

This is hard.

We scheduled an appointment for 10 am today to say goodbye. Sadly, I woke up to banging and scratching at 1:20 am to find my baby boy convulsing in a major seizure. My wife Angela and I comforted him immediately and I rushed him to the 24 hr vet. I told him over and over again how much we loved him and what a great boy he was. I couldn’t drive fast enough.

At 2:00 am I let him go.

As I type this, I’m crying my eyes out. So please..forgive any spelling mistakes.

I loved this dog more than I love most humans. 15 great years we had together. I’m going to miss him something fierce.
I’m sorry for your loss just doesn’t seem to cut it. I know you are hurting because I’ve been there several times. My suggestion is to find another puppy. It will help deflect the pain. You will never forget Diesel. I fondly remember every fur baby from when I was 8 years old, and I’m 68 now. I don’t remember the end time for each one, and I really don’t care to. It was their life that I remember and the joy we brought each other.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
You were there with him at the end. It may hurt, but it was the right thing to do. My condolences.

Appreciate all the kind words gentlemen. It’s been a tough week/ weekend. We have 2 small children that required a comforting explanation about where Diesel went. The girls know he’s with his brother Harley, his “girlfriend” Sophie, and terrorizing my grandmother, now that he’s back to his youth and has all of his energy back. Rainbow bridge... here‘s hoping. Already miss his furry face around the house.

My cat Hobbes suffered kidney failure. I was able to keep him going thru the summer with Sub Q IV's of saline, but the only treatment would have been dialysis and kidney replacement. He was a good cat & I was blessed to have him for 5 years.

Appreciate all the kind words gentlemen. It’s been a tough week/ weekend. We have 2 small children that required a comforting explanation about where Diesel went. The girls know he’s with his brother Harley, his “girlfriend” Sophie, and terrorizing my grandmother, now that he’s back to his youth and has all of his energy back. Rainbow bridge... here‘s hoping. Already miss his furry face around the house.

You will find yourself, in time, in a quiet moment where it would have been just the two of you . . . and he will come back to mind. Those are the times I value most, with respect to past fur-babies (cats). It is a nice, and less painful reminder of better days with them.

Sorry about your loss. We lost our Aussie about 5 years ago. He will always be a special dog to me. He followed me everywhere. If I got up to go to the bathroom, he followed me and waited outside the door for me to come out. I have tears in my eyes typing this and thinking about him. He and I knew it was time when he went out in the winter and just sat down in the snow and stared off into the distance.

The brittany we have now is something else. We jokingly say that he is the worst dog ever. He is 4 and a half going on 2 . . . . . but we love him just the same. Take time to grieve and maybe you'll be ready for another dog someday. They always live on in our memories until we see them again someday.

I don't know how I'll get over it when I lose Moose, I love him more than life itself and more than any human.
I know that doesn't make sense to those with families and such , but it's just me and him. I hope that you can
find another dog like Diesel, not to replace him as I don't think that is possible. And those kids will love him as much as they did Diesel

Attachments

• IMG_2703.JPG
    IMG_2703.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
Top Bottom