What's new

Making Tea with reboiled water - Can you taste the difference?

Can you detect a taste difference when your tea is steeped with reboiled water?

• Yes, can detect if steeped with reboiled water

• Sometimes, but the taste difference is small

• No, cannot taste any difference

• Unsure, but believe there is a difference

• Don't know/Never paid attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
There are so many minerals in our water that as the water evaporates as it comes to a boil the it tastes worse and worse.

We have a place here that does a sentiment filter, then charcoal, then reverse osmosis, then a UV blast. Absolutely great water, and even safe for the fish tank without using the chlorine removal drops. They charge 25 cents a gallon, and $1.25 for an 8 lb bag of crystal clear ice.

As long as the water hasn't been sitting for a while (i.e. days) I don't see a significant difference. I'm partial to Adagio's utiliTEA Tea Kettle, and have had good results... reboiled water or not.

I'm not too picky about tea, so I can't say I notice a difference. At work my kettle has a 500mL minimum level so I just top off boiled water with fresh through the day. I empty it every night.

If you're really interested in these kinds of questions, you'll find a lot of information in this book that I'm just enjoying: Warren Peltier "The ancient art of tea - wisdom from the old Chinese tea masters".

There's been experiments with coffee where you aerate the coffee after brewing, either by shaking it in a canning jar or just whisking or blowing bubbles in it. I tried this and it seemed to taste better, but because coffee tastes sweeter as it cools it's hard to say since the act of aerating the coffee cools it at the same time.

I would imagine the same thing would apply to tea. I love tea but don't have the passion for it that I reserve for coffee.

Chemically that doesn't make sense. Water is two hydrogen atom and one oxygen atom. When the bond is broken, in this instance via heat, then the atoms separate, hence the steam. The stuff left over is still H20

Not quite right. Water is not broken down into its constituent atoms by boiling. Steam is the gaseous form of water (just as ice is the solid form); steam is still made up of molecules of two hydrogen and one oxygen but in gas form, not liquid. (Although, what we actually SEE coming of the kettle is not steam, it is steam that has re-condensed into water droplets.)

If you pass an electric current through the water to electrolise it (not the same as boiling) THEN you will split it up into constituent gases hydrogen and oxygen. (You can then see the gas bubbles coming off the electrodes - even at cool temperatures; the water is not boiling when you do this.)

Hope this helps!

Gus

Top Bottom