What's new

Making Segal Blades

What did you use to hold the blade while you used the Dremel. Obviously it needs to be secure and also not damage the cutting surface.

I agree. Cut away the bulk of the metal (easy enough with the right scissors) and finish with the Dremel. Not that I know for sure, but it makes sense to me for the reasons you mentioned, and it should be easier, too.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Hey Jim,

I just held it pinched between thumb and index finger on the opposite end I was working on. When using the Dremel, I was very careful to only allow light contact sufficient for removing a very small amount of metal.

My success rate for getting a perfect fit on the first try with scissors alone is somewhere around 50%, but with a Dremel that goes up to virtually 100%.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Hey Jim,

I just held it pinched between thumb and index finger on the opposite end I was working on. When using the Dremel, I was very careful to only allow light contact sufficient for removing a very small amount of metal.

My success rate for getting a perfect fit on the first try with scissors alone is somewhere around 50%, but with a Dremel that goes up to virtually 100%.

Cool. No tools or vices or anything to buy. I might give it a try. It'll be a couple of weeks at least because I've gotta get the attachment you used and find my Dremel. Plus, I'll be out of town for a couple of weeks.

It's going to be a fun project, I think.

Did you do one blade at a time?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Cool. No tools or vices or anything to buy. I might give it a try. It'll be a couple of weeks at least because I've gotta get the attachment you used and find my Dremel. Plus, I'll be out of town for a couple of weeks.

It's going to be a fun project, I think.

Did you do one blade at a time?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Yep, only one blade at a time. I would even go so far as to recommend wearing one of the thin leather Mechanix type glove on the holding hand. My blade didn't do any funny jumping on me while I held it but I thought for future efforts it would be a good idea :)

My confidence in getting perfect blades has never been higher. Have fun on your trip!

Thanks to the very generous gift of a couple of original Segal blades from a forum member, I was able to modify three Astra blades tonight. I used the new Astra blades purchased recently that I am not as fond of as I am of the old ones. Made up three blades in about five minutes. Not as difficult as I thought it would be. I am thinking of sandwiching about 5 or 10 blades together after cutting the big central holes out with the cuticle scissors and trimming the end tabs a bit for a slightly better fit. Tomorrow I will shave one side of my face with the open comb razor and the other side with the closed comb adjustable.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thanks to the very generous gift of a couple of original Segal blades from a forum member, I was able to modify three Astra blades tonight. I used the new Astra blades purchased recently that I am not as fond of as I am of the old ones. Made up three blades in about five minutes. Not as difficult as I thought it would be. I am thinking of sandwiching about 5 or 10 blades together after cutting the big central holes out with the cuticle scissors and trimming the end tabs a bit for a slightly better fit. Tomorrow I will shave one side of my face with the open comb razor and the other side with the closed comb adjustable.

Why is everybody cranking up my razor lust this morning? Where did you find that one?

Congratulations on the blade modification, and we expect shave reports galore since you have the razors to compare.

Happy shaves,

Jim

IMG_0980.JPG

I found it on the auction site. It was identified only as a Segal razor. Because of the closed comb and handle, I hoped it would be the adjustable. I did not get a chance to compare the two. I was having fun changing between the three settings and before I knew it, the shave was over. It performed well. Tomorrow I'll use the open comb. The blade is the first one I modified. The other two fit a little better.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
View attachment 896755
I found it on the auction site. It was identified only as a Segal razor. Because of the closed comb and handle, I hoped it would be the adjustable. I did not get a chance to compare the two. I was having fun changing between the three settings and before I knew it, the shave was over. It performed well. Tomorrow I'll use the open comb. The blade is the first one I modified. The other two fit a little better.

How does it adjust?

IMG_0981.JPG

A quote from an old thread by Spang.

"The Segal adjusts by allowing for three different levels of tension on the cap after initial closure (with positive click stops on the TTO knob at each position), thus providing three graduated degrees of bend in the blade. The tighter the cap, the higher the angle of the blade and the milder the shave. It basically works on the same principle as loosening or tightening the handle on a three piece. As a practical matter, it's not a very wide range of adjustment, but it is functional and pretty avant-garde for its day."

It does work. There is a definite difference in the three settings. The areas on either side of my lips and under my lower lip are very sensitive. So much so that I have to use a mild razor for them and another more aggressive razor for the rest of my face. With the adjustable, I just dailed it to the mild setting and back up to 1 or 2 for the rest of the shave.

Last edited:
Hello gents! I made my first attempt to modify a regular DE blade using a Segal blade to trace the shape to cut out. I immediately ran into difficulties with the marker that I used to do the trace. It smears and smudges all over the place. The pen I used is a Fine Tip Sharpie.

What kind of marker might you folks recommend for this job?

Thanks guys!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Hello gents! I made my first attempt to modify a regular DE blade using a Segal blade to trace the shape to cut out. I immediately ran into difficulties with the marker that I used to do the trace. It smears and smudges all over the place. The pen I used is a Fine Tip Sharpie.

What kind of marker might you folks recommend for this job?

Thanks guys!

I've used the same thing. I've had the same "problem," and have the same question.

proxy.php

I've considered something like this. Link. To mark by scoring the outline. Would it work better? I'm not sure.

However, the blades do not have to be cut precisely to match the old Segal blade. There's a good bit of discussion in this thread of what's important and what isn't. Freehand work which preserves the essentials and gets rid of the obstacles is fine.

Having said that, I'd like my blades to look like Segal blades, or a lot closer than my efforts so far do.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I'm going to try using an Exacto knife with a fine tip. I saw a video where one was used to mark a blade for a Gibbs razor. Anyone use one?

I watched this HowToGrowAMoustache video about making Segal blades:

And bought a Segal OC this weekend off of eBay. It included the box and (more importantly) a sealed pack of 5 Segal blades, so I won't have to use paper templates. A PDF to make those are linked to the video's associated article:
http://howtogrowamoustache.com/how-to-modify-a-modern-de-blade-for-a-vintage-segal-razor/

I think (and hope) that the video and article will help a lot -- I have Revlon cuticle scissors in my Amazon cart.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I watched this HowToGrowAMoustache video about making Segal blades:

And bought a Segal OC this weekend off of eBay. It included the box and (more importantly) a sealed pack of 5 Segal blades, so I won't have to use paper templates. A PDF to make those are linked to the video's associated article:
http://howtogrowamoustache.com/how-to-modify-a-modern-de-blade-for-a-vintage-segal-razor/

I think (and hope) that the video and article will help a lot -- I have Revlon cuticle scissors in my Amazon cart.

That's the ticket. Practice.

I love the Segal razor, though I seldom use it because of the hassle of modifying blades; however, I recently used an alternative method of modification that worked well. And it was easy.

I got a small cold chisel, laid a modern blade on the anvil of a vice, and it took 20 seconds of gentle tapping with a hammer and the chisel to get a serviceable blade. I cut the opening large, by sight and not by marking, and when loading I carefully position the blade manually in the razor so both sides of blade exposure are equal.

As always wear eye protection, and sweep up and properly dispose of the shards.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I love the Segal razor, though I seldom use it because of the hassle of modifying blades; however, I recently used an alternative method of modification that worked well. And it was easy.

I got a small cold chisel, laid a modern blade on the anvil of a vice, and it took 20 seconds of gentle tapping with a hammer and the chisel to get a serviceable blade. I cut the opening large, by sight and not by marking, and when loading I carefully position the blade manually in the razor so both sides of blade exposure are equal.

As always wear eye protection, and sweep up and properly dispose of the shards.

It would be really cool to come up with a perfect method, and yours sounds close.

The razor is a great one. I really like mine.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I have had alot of luck with these guys:
proxy.php

I had a pair of cuticle scissors that just were not up to the task, possibly too cheap. These guys make short work of the razors. I was originally drawing on and smearing sharpie ink everywhere, but I find I get decently close free-handing it. At least that is what my shave tells me, so I'm a happy camper.:shaving:

I will use OCtober to really put my segal through its motions. I have had the silver version and now have a gold version on the way. Any difference in the shave?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have had alot of luck with these guys:
proxy.php

I had a pair of cuticle scissors that just were not up to the task, possibly too cheap. These guys make short work of the razors. I was originally drawing on and smearing sharpie ink everywhere, but I find I get decently close free-handing it. At least that is what my shave tells me, so I'm a happy camper.:shaving:

I will use OCtober to really put my segal through its motions. I have had the silver version and now have a gold version on the way. Any difference in the shave?

What are those called and where'd you get them?

Thanks,

Jim

Perhaps a small router set up with a guide bushing, a proper bit and a template could be the ticket to making them.

Here is what I mean:
(there are plenty of better videos out there, I just picked a short one to give a general idea)

Dremel or Dremel clones might even have guide bushings available, it would need to be checked out.

Top Bottom