What's new

Making my own beard balm/oil and moustache wax?

I used a 50/50 mix, by mass, for my first batch. I say mass, because it's convenient to use a digital kitchen scale. Volume measurements are not consistent unless you melt the oil and beeswax beforehand. I used 30 g of each because that was enough to fill an empty skin cream jar that my wife was going to toss.

It was solid enough to use after about half an hour, but by the next day I had to resort to the scraping with back of thumbnail gimmick to get it out of the jar.
The only other wax I have to compare it to is the Clubman. Clubman will dry out in a minute or so after application, but you can wet your fingers to dampen it and make adjustments throughout the day.

The coconut oil/beeswax DIY stuff never dries out. My wife has commented that kissing me sometimes results in lips full of oily wax, so I have to be careful about how much I use and where it goes.

One problem I've noted with the DIY wax is that It is difficult to wash off your fingers (with soap and water) after applying it. Clubman itself has a sort of soapy feel to it, and it's easy to wash off. However I have recently discovered that the alcohol in hand sanitizer gel (like Purell, or whatever), followed by soap and water, works great for getting the wax and oil off your fingers. I had to use it to clean the stainless measuring cup and a frying pan that I used for a double boiler, because some wax got accidentally spilled into the hot water.

In the shower I just use bath bar soap (or shampoo) and a nail brush to wash it out of my 'stache, as part of my night-time pre-shave prep.

I guess it works, but I don't have many other products to compare it to.
Yeah, i also think use a kitchen scale is more convenient.

Top Bottom