What's new

Making Mistakes More Mistakes and Learning from Mistakes (and being noob)

Hello all! (another newbie here) I haven't even filled out my profile information yet..

WELL, I bought a "junk" first time razor to see if I wanted to go down this path using a DE razor. I love it! But i realized soon after that while I got the best shave I have ever had in my little life, I bought a razor that could have been much (much) better. That's what I get for buying junk. The handle is garbage and the threading was not done well at all on the handle. (and the handle is cheap plastic too..) I may be able to make a mutant-shaver in the future since I think the head is ok and worth experimenting with. I believe it is probably a knock off made by the lowest bidder... :(

So, I decided to make another ill-researched impulse purchase and I found this vintage Gillette razor on ebay. I know its late to ask this, but was this a good purchase? (link below)

They call it a vintage Gillette Safety Razor from the 80s. The packaging looked legit, but I hope some experienced vintage collectors can tell me if what I got is real or if i made another mistake. Here is the link below:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111343515922...84.m1439.l2649

If this indeed a steal, then there are 2 left to purchase!

I greatly appreciate your help!!!

The razors seems legit, but to be honest I am not sure if it is such a great deal ... Tech come up for sale frequently in the BST sub-forum. I think you have better chances to find a better deal there.
I mean, probably you will pay the same for a USED one, but earlier Techs are much better built than these recent ones.

Great to have you in the DE community. Just relax and take a deep breath. There are literally tens of millions of vintage razors out there, I started like you and thought I had to buy everything at once. Just be patient and invest some time in looking at completed eBay sales, items on Etsy, and here on the B/S/T to get a feel for correct prices.

You probably overpaid a little for that one, but not grossly and you got some blades, which were worth about $3.

1) That is the 3 piece razor probably from late 70's or early 80's. The handle is aluminum. One part was made in UK and the other in USA.
2) For sealed NOS, you paid an ok price.
3) That is very unusual export packaging. You may want to save it.

Welcome to B&B..............this is the best place to start and learn. But like BSAguy said just take your time and read as much as you can here, and you well be able to make wise choices, but............ you well still pick up junk from time to time if you have to buy site unseen. Before you know it you well have a drawer full of razors and software too. so enjoy your stay.

Welcome to the group. There will be plenty of mistakes, but as you make them you'll also learn from them. Your technique will improve quickly and the shaves will get much better.

Wow! so much support and comments so quickly. This is probably the most warm welcome I ever had on a forum! wow! Thanks everyone. I'll let you know how it goes with this razor. Thanks haiti222 for the info there too! I'll take some time slow down and pace myself. Even though I'm using a crappy DE right now, its still the best shave I have ever had. So I'll experiment and keep the head on this one.

Wow! so much support and comments so quickly. This is probably the most warm welcome I ever had on a forum! wow! Thanks everyone. I'll let you know how it goes with this razor. Thanks haiti222 for the info there too! I'll take some time slow down and pace myself. Even though I'm using a crappy DE right now, its still the best shave I have ever had. So I'll experiment and keep the head on this one.

Great price, since nobody ever used it

proxy.php

1) That is the 3 piece razor probably from late 70's or early 80's. The handle is aluminum. One part was made in UK and the other in USA.
2) For sealed NOS, you paid an ok price.
3) That is very unusual export packaging. You may want to save it.

There are no 1980 Techs, they stopped in 1979. This one is a 60's to 70's Tech design.

There are no 1980 Techs, they stopped in 1979. This one is a 60's to 70's Tech design.

Thanks for giving more information about this. I'll be sure to take pictures once it arrives. I'm growing a short beard (nothing bushy) right now so I can give it an accurate test. I feel really good about this purchase now and I hope this will satisfy my needs.

Hey guys! I got the razor from Ebay and here are pics too! The handle is indeed made of aluminum but the weight is biased to the head. I still have a few bic chrome platinum blades left so I have not used the blades that were given. Also, I'm not going to use the "blue" blade that came in the original packaging. I'm holding on to the original box fyi. I'm happy with my first real razor purchase however, as I improve, i think i would like to go with a more aggressive blade. I'll give it some time and work on my technique for now. Enjoy the pictures! Happy shaving!!

$004.jpg$007.jpg$008.jpg$011.jpg$013.jpg

That is a nice little razor. I especially like the knurling pattern on the handle. Looks like a keeper. How does it shave?

Hey guys! I got the razor from Ebay and here are pics too! The handle is indeed made of aluminum but the weight is biased to the head. I still have a few bic chrome platinum blades left so I have not used the blades that were given. Also, I'm not going to use the "blue" blade that came in the original packaging. I'm holding on to the original box fyi. I'm happy with my first real razor purchase however, as I improve, i think i would like to go with a more aggressive blade. I'll give it some time and work on my technique for now. Enjoy the pictures! Happy shaving!!

View attachment 452743View attachment 452744View attachment 452745View attachment 452746View attachment 452747

Nice Tech razor, Keep us posted on your progress.

That is a nice little razor. I especially like the knurling pattern on the handle. Looks like a keeper. How does it shave?

it shaves great. I have not knicked or anything but I do wish it was a little more aggressive. Ill just try different blades. But I do manage a close shave after a 3rd pass where I touch up my stubborn areas.

Nice Tech razor, Keep us posted on your progress.

i totally will keep you guys posted. Ill just send my updates on this thread. So far i have done two shaves with it and im getting a consistent shave. The blade stays clean and its very enjoyable. I'm satisfied. Ill keep working on techniques. I might go with a Parker razor next if i want a more aggressive shave.

i totally will keep you guys posted. Ill just send my updates on this thread. So far i have done two shaves with it and im getting a consistent shave. The blade stays clean and its very enjoyable. I'm satisfied. Ill keep working on techniques. I might go with a Parker razor next if i want a more aggressive shave.

Why not stick to vintage gillete?

Do you know which models give a more aggressive shave? What do I look for in a razor to know if it will be a more closer shave with less passes?

Do you know which models give a more aggressive shave? What do I look for in a razor to know if it will be a more closer shave with less passes?

It can vary, for me it can be a Big Fellow or Red Tip, we all are different and require different shave needs. I would go adjustable, that way you can crank it up to a 1 and work your way up to a 9 setting, this would be cheaper and more effective without buying a lot of razors.

Top Bottom