What's new

Making lather with a large Silvertip Badger Brush

I don't feel there's any need to soak badger brushes, YMMV. Badger doesn't take on water like a boar. Not sure of your soaps but with my triple milled I load with a slightly damp brush (shaken) and a little water on the soap. Wet the tips, swirl on soap, and add water slowly as necessary. Experiment, it'll change a bit between products, just pay attention to your lather.
Maybe badger isn’t filling up like boar hair but it is nice to get it on temperature as it retains heat very well and even better than boar.

linty1

My wallet cries.
I also use the "Marco method", and give a light flick/shake of the brush before I load. The hot water I pour onto my puck, I'll pour a splash into my bowl for after I load from the puck. You'll have to trial and error a bit your "flick".

You have already had a lot of good advice so take my observations as lightly or as heavily as you wish.

Don't soak the brush. It's not needed. Boar brushes needs it to soften them up and even then you should only soften the tips. Do wet the entire knot under running water before starting. It builds lather better if more than just the tips are wet.

If you mug lather (usually my preference) then a larger mug is desirable. My favorites for large brushes are oversized short and fat soup mugs, sort of like oversized Old Spice mugs. After dampening the entire know, gently squeeze out most of the water, add a little to the tip, and start transferring soap to the brush. After a moment, check the tip of the brush and if you see soap building up, dip the brush tip gently in water and continue to build lather. Repeat a few times until you have the lather quality and quantity you desire.

If you bowl lather (my preference with creams and with some soaps), transfer soap to the brush as above, but move to the lather bowl (or scuttle) to build lather, adding water and soap as needed.

A 26 mm brush really isn't all that large. My biggest brush is a 30 mm X 70 mm. Well maybe not, as I also have a 38 mm about like the one pictured earlier in the thread. It is so dense and so unlofty that it about like trying to lather with a fuzzy tennis ball. I also have several other of these beastly 30 mm brushes. Once you get the knack they lather just as easily as the smaller brushes.

For some reason I was under the impression that badger brushes needed to be soaked. It sounds like I can pretty much use it like I do my synthetics then. Thanks!
Nothing "needs" to be done. I religiously pre-soak my badgers, after years of just wetting under the faucet and shaking off.
I fill a scuttle or bowl with hot water and let it sit while I shower. When I get out of the shower the know soaking in water is literally 2x the size it was. I do a 2-3 what I call gravity shakes (drop down toward the sink, pull up quickly) and load the brush. Works for me, YMMV.

Top Bottom