What's new

Making ebony scales

I recently picked up a strip of ebony wood when I was getting some oak to make some tonfa with, and it's about the right size to easily cut some scales from. I got it a few months ago without any project in mind for it; I've just always wanted to work with ebony and I don't make it to the wood store much.
That being said, I don't know where to go from having the ebony to making scales. I am a woodworker, but have never made scales before. The cutting of the scales doesn't seem to be a problematic process, but I am wondering if there is anything I should be aware of when polishing up the wood. The waxy texture of it is something I am wholly unfamiliar in working with.
Has anyone here made ebony scales?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
First see if your "ebony" floats or sinks on water. True ebony sinks.

When working with ebony, ensure that you are protected for the ebony dust that may be created.

I have not yet tested it for floating, but I have full confidence that it is ebony. The store I got it from has a large supply of exotic hardwoods, ebony being one of them. It was a small, furring strip sized piece, I took the smallest one I could find because this stuff has fascinated me since I first ran into it, I have always wanted to work with it, and it is expensive as heck, so I got a small piece with the idea to carve a little necklace piece or a tiny box or something, and now, scales.
The wood has the waxy texture that I can't possible describe other than black and waxy, it's unlike any I have encountered elsewhere.
I will perform the test nonetheless.
I have heard there is "use" of the sawdust from it, so I will avoid inhaling it and collect it for whatever.
I am aware that hardwood dust is formally classified as a carcinogen, and many woodworkers end up with throat cancer, so I don't play around haphazardly. Will likely be cut using a coping saw and chisel, there should be minimal dust produced.

Not made any ebony scales but have restored a few and make a fair amount of horn and other materials, and do work with a lot of ebony and rosewood restoring antique tools.

Ebony sanded to 1k and finished with multiple coats of thinned 50% linseed oil and mineral spirits works well to hydrate and darken the color. Final buff on a loose wheel with green Stainless compound and or any good metal polish and paper towel.

I am the same, using beeswax. It was only this morning that I was fondling some ebony scales polished with beeswax. Such a lovely feeling.
Beeswax works - 1 coat 1 time, esp right after sanding. As long as it is light and buffed out without heat.
When people start adding oils and putting layers of plastic on top my head spins. It's sensitive to humidity, very much so. Sealing and oiling, etc - is generally not a good thing with ebony.

duke762

Rose to the occasion
I made as set of ebony scales for a Wade an Butcher. I actually ended up making 3 sets. Ebony is so, so fragile. 3rd time was the charm and they are wonderful and worth the effort. My goal is to good at using and working with it and use it more often. Frustrating and rewarding with a great big wow factor.

So, this is what a bit of thinned linseed oil and elbow grease can do

Photo 1 as found, 2&3, after, they were just a little dried out. The small square is Ebony, the large Rosewood.

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG

Top Bottom