What's new

making AS - advice

Gentlemen, upon B&B recommendations (great advice), I got some empty hotsauce bottles for decanting various classic products that now regrettably only come in plastic.

So, I have some extra empty bottles, and also happen to have glycerine and unscented witch hazel in my cabinet, thus am thinking of making my own AS versions of classics that aren't made specifically in AS form, such as Florida Water and a couple of the Pinauds. I've splashed those on the face "as is" before - not terrible - but I thought, given supplies I already have, why not cook up something more suited for the post-shave.

Any recommendations or experience you don't mind sharing on how to do this well? Thanks to all in advance.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Gentlemen, upon B&B recommendations (great advice), I got some empty hotsauce bottles for decanting various classic products that now regrettably only come in plastic.

So, I have some extra empty bottles, and also happen to have glycerine and unscented witch hazel in my cabinet, thus am thinking of making my own AS versions of classics that aren't made specifically in AS form, such as Florida Water and a couple of the Pinauds. I've splashed those on the face "as is" before - not terrible - but I thought, given supplies I already have, why not cook up something more suited for the post-shave.

Any recommendations or experience you don't mind sharing on how to do this well? Thanks to all in advance.

Different people add different amounts. There isn’t a set measurement. It just depends on how strong or weak you desire the scent of your AS to be, or how moisturizing you want it to be or not.

I personally don’t add witch hazel to my alcohol splashes, because I use witch hazel after my shave and just before my AS splash.

But if you would like too, a good starter would be, 1 drop of glycerin per ounce of AS and 5ml of witch hazel per 3 ounce of AS.

You can add or subtract from there. :)

@OkieSubble has some good recipes.

Typical commercial aftershaves look similar to this:
Denatured Alcohol, Water, Fragrance Oils, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil

A traditional alcohol-based aftershave has around 60-70% alcohol. The balance is water, fragrance oils and moisturizing ingredients. Witch hazel can make up for part of the water.

For alcohol, the best is probably grain alcohol (Everclear). Most store-bought aftershave with alcohol are using SD Alcohol. This is perfumer's alcohol, basically ethyl alcohol with bittering agents for legal reasons. Note this is not the same denatured alcohol found at hardware stores, which is denatured with toxic ingredients and/or methanol. Avoid. Also, avoid isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol).

Peg 40 hydrogenated castor oil can be used in place of glycerin. It is available online in small quantities.

If used, glycerin amount is a matter of taste. Add too much, and your aftershave will leave a sticky film. So, best to experiment, but no more than 1 teaspoon per 8 oz. of aftershave.

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Yes, sounds like great advice! Thank you, Okie, and thanks, Bhugo, I have read a little about those but have not tried!

Definitely try the Bootlegger's mixtures. Bootlegger's El Dorado and Bootlegger's Bay Rum are two favorites of mine.

Bootlegger's Brigands is here:

Badger Blends is here:

Hope this helps. :)

One other ingredient to consider, if there is any water in your product (including witch hazel, which is mostly water, or alcohol that isn't 190 proof.) Your essential oils and water do not mix. Therefore your mixes will separate, you'll have to shake them, and they'll be cloudy.

To avoid this, if you are so inclined - Pick up a little bottle of polysorbate-20 online. It doesn't cost much, and a little goes a long way. Mix it 50-50 with your oil before you add them your alcohol-water-glycerin base. That will emulsify your oil and ensure your mix stays nice and blended without you having to do so mechanically.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
One other ingredient to consider, if there is any water in your product (including witch hazel, which is mostly water, or alcohol that isn't 190 proof.) Your essential oils and water do not mix. Therefore your mixes will separate, you'll have to shake them, and they'll be cloudy.

To avoid this, if you are so inclined - Pick up a little bottle of polysorbate-20 online. It doesn't cost much, and a little goes a long way. Mix it 50-50 with your oil before you add them your alcohol-water-glycerin base. That will emulsify your oil and ensure your mix stays nice and blended without you having to do so mechanically.

So that's why my Unnamed Prototype #3 looks like a balm and I have to shake it before each use!
shave 20210721_144737_2.jpg

Thank you very much for this knowledge! :cool:

Ad Astra

The Instigator

I just did this, thanks. $6/4 Oz, cheap indeed.

Oakmoss EO is vicious sticky and even when shaken, retains globs. 🧐Emulsify, I say!

My other comment is forum heresy. Dispenses with washing hot sauce bottles! Buy new bottles off AZ or a bottle place!

I did and they were cheap, great, and in constant use.

Good luck with compounding new aftershaves, and remember to share! 🤣 For the good of science and "to shave humanity."

AA

Top Bottom