What's new

Making aftershave from cologne

I have an old bottle of cologne that I like (actually it's probably EdP to be technical) but I'm really not a cologne type guy. I love the scent, but because I can't squirt half or 1/4 of a squirt on myself, I usually pass. Had it for probably 15+ years and it's probably still got 1/4 a bottle left (maybe a little less at this point, the bottle is opaque so I'm guessing).

I am an aftershave type guy, so I was wondering if anyone ever dilutes down cologne to aftershave level, and if so, what and how much do you use? I know it depends on the strength of the perfume, but I just wanted to make sure I'm not about to ruin the last of my fragrance, which is apparently no longer made. I've heard of using vodka and wh and some glycerin, all of which I have, but I just thought I'd check here and see if anyone has some advice on how to proceed.

Or am I just overthinking this and need to just start mixing it and see what happens?

Try adding some alcohol and/or witch hazel, perhaps with a few drops or glycerine. You don't have much to lose IMO!

Well, I diluted with Thayer's witch hazel and the golden clear colored perfume (L'Occitane Vetyver EdT) mixed with clear WH apparently equals something the color of skim milk. It still smells like Vetyver to me, but is the weird color change/turning completely opaque anything to be concerned about?

It looks like it is still available for purchase on their website. The reviews I read make it seem like a wonderful scent.

Mixing often leads to cloudiness. Don't worry about that. I hope it feels good on you skin.

Top Bottom