What's new

Making a linen strop

Looking to make a linen razor strop, but not sure how to go about it and would like some help. Someone suggested Baker's linen so plan to go with that. I might have to do a few loops around to get it thick enough. How would I flatten it and join the edges to the rest of the material so I don't have any bumps?

Not sure what you mean by thick enough. The thickness has little to do with the stropping. The material should be cut to width and length. Attach both ends however you prefer (i.e. Chicago screws, sewn, etc.) to your chosen handle and hanger.

I like 'duck' cotton a lot (but whatever you want to use).
Cut double the width you require (for a two inch strop, cut four inches, for a three inch cut six inches).
Press it flat on the ironing board, then fold either side 'til it meets in the middle, like making a paper aeroplane.
Maybe put some silicone oven sheet inside before securing - to keep it flat (I've done it without and it's ok).
Secure it with double sided tape on the inside, (on the "off" side of the silicone so it doesn't 'bulge') or regular cloth tape on the outside.
Press it flat. Now you have a linen strop.
Add your chicago screws and / or loop or D-rings or whatever.

Not all strops are hanging strops. I have a pasted piece of old jeans tied around a flooring board. I tied it on the backside of the board.

I like 'duck' cotton a lot (but whatever you want to use).
Cut double the width you require (for a two inch strop, cut four inches, for a three inch cut six inches).
Press it flat on the ironing board, then fold either side 'til it meets in the middle, like making a paper aeroplane.
Maybe put some silicone oven sheet inside before securing - to keep it flat (I've done it without and it's ok).
Secure it with double sided tape on the inside, (on the "off" side of the silicone so it doesn't 'bulge') or regular cloth tape on the outside.
Press it flat. Now you have a linen strop.
Add your chicago screws and / or loop or D-rings or whatever.
Wow, that's super useful. Thanks for sharing!

Top Bottom