What's new

Making a franken Gillette?

R

romsitsa

Hello,

was digging in my box for some spares and started wondering, did any of you tried to install an Old type base plate on a TTO, like a Superspeed?

The swap could be done and based on the first look it could accept a blade, open-close, but would be the blade geometry off or could it be used?

Thanks

Adam

Hello,

was digging in my box for some spares and started wondering, did any of you tried to install an Old type base plate on a TTO, like a Superspeed?

The swap could be done and based on the first look it could accept a blade, open-close, but would be the blade geometry off or could it be used?

Thanks

Adam

I've looked at using a Tech baseplate on a '53 Super Speed, and that can be done, but it would take a lot of work. I don't think an OLD baseplate will work, the doors stop on the guard, which is notched slightly for clearance, and there isn't enough tooth on the OC OLD. Look at factory OC TTO's and you will see that the corner teeth are made differently to accommodate the doors.

Why would you want to make these weird and difficult to do hybrids?

I can understand and appreciate the concept of a hybrid razor, but only if the parts are easy to mate.

Here's an example of a hybrid that to me makes sense and is easy. I bought several Stahly Live Blade razors, but the motor from each froze up after a few weeks. The Stahly head is MARVELOUS though. So I stuck a mint Stahly head on a mint Merkur handle, and it is a sweet shaving razor that also looks good as if it were intended to be.

R

romsitsa

Thank you for the feedback, made some measuremets and it won't work. The corners would loose too much material as Toby pointed it out. "To be cut" parts roughly marked with black.

Steve, I have unuseable razors and sometimes figure how they could be repaired.

IMG_2375.JPG

Adam

R

romsitsa

Have to find a suitable donor first, then will mess around with it for sure :)

Adam

R

romsitsa

So, old type combs and TTO doors can't be mated together. The blade gap will be as big as the thichness of the T bar.

But I found another possibility...
Silver plated handle with a Rocket HD head.
IMG_2386.JPG

Adam

Granted this tread is about using parts from OC Gillettes with TTO Gillette to make a OC TTO Gillette hybrid, but I had an idea that might make OC TTO Gillette hybrid easier to make. How about a 3D printed OC base plate designed specifically for this purpose? Some of the filliments used are metal filled so that they look and feel more like metal than plastic.
An OC 47 to 49 Aristocrat or OC Red Tip SS would be cool to have. Or you could design it to only have one side OC so that you still have one side more mild than the other.

R

romsitsa

If a regular tto Gillette base plate would be modified to OC it would work. Only question how mount a printed baseplate onto a brass handle?

Adam

Why would you want to make these weird and difficult to do hybrids?

I can understand and appreciate the concept of a hybrid razor, but only if the parts are easy to mate.

Here's an example of a hybrid that to me makes sense and is easy. I bought several Stahly Live Blade razors, but the motor from each froze up after a few weeks. The Stahly head is MARVELOUS though. So I stuck a mint Stahly head on a mint Merkur handle, and it is a sweet shaving razor that also looks good as if it were intended to be.

I have done the same thing, placing the Stahly head on a Gillette tech fat handle. The shave is incredible. The Stahly head is the perfect match between blade gap and exposure providing an incredible shaving experience.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I have done the same thing, placing the Stahly head on a Gillette tech fat handle. The shave is incredible. The Stahly head is the perfect match between blade gap and exposure providing an incredible shaving experience.
Stahly made a great head. It's is definitely better on anything other than the vibrating handle.

Kindly,
Adam

Can someone post a pic of a Stahly head attached to a different handle?

I've heard of how smooth a Stahly razor head shaves. I've been wanting to do this also. I'm guessing you can pretty much use any standard razor handle?

I would pair it with a SS handle if this can be done.

Top Bottom