What's new

Making a cheese plane from a Progress

Hi guys,

This morning I was using my trusty Progress, and I decided to dork around a bit. My neck is always a pain to get BBS, and it is a fine line between getting that smooth and generating irritation. The hair grows more or less horizontally, and is very difficult to get to. Looking at my Progress this morning, I decided that rather than shaving at "5" (most blade exposure), I would do another full turn around back to "5" again (in the direction of more blade exposure). This is not the manufacturer recommended setting of course, but it is possible to do without the blade becoming loose. It really opens up the blade exposure much more than the normal settings.

And the result? Fantastically close shave with no irritation. The extra blade exposure really let the edge get under those pesky neck hairs and shear them off. Something else to play with....

Hi Scotto

How does this compare with the blade exposure on a Vision on "V"? Actually, my Vision goes past the "V" abd back round to "S" again, I don't think I'll try it there!

How do you get your Vision to open that wide, and go past the V?

Mine seems stuck at a quarter turn?

mrob said:
How do you get your Vision to open that wide, and go past the V?

Mine seems stuck at a quarter turn?

I'd like to say I took it apart and removed the stop and put it back together but I can't, it just did it by itself. Finding out was the hard bit, I started shaving on what I thought was S and ended up 360 degrees out! Needless to say, the shave didn't go qute as planned!

Brings to mind Nigel Tufnel of Spinal Tap; cranking the volume up on guitar amps by getting knobs numbered to 11 instead of just 10.

Ron

R

rainman

Hi guys,

This morning I was using my trusty Progress, and I decided to dork around a bit. My neck is always a pain to get BBS, and it is a fine line between getting that smooth and generating irritation. The hair grows more or less horizontally, and is very difficult to get to. Looking at my Progress this morning, I decided that rather than shaving at "5" (most blade exposure), I would do another full turn around back to "5" again (in the direction of more blade exposure). This is not the manufacturer recommended setting of course, but it is possible to do without the blade becoming loose. It really opens up the blade exposure much more than the normal settings.

And the result? Fantastically close shave with no irritation. The extra blade exposure really let the edge get under those pesky neck hairs and shear them off. Something else to play with....

An interesting concept. I would like to try this.

Top Bottom