What's new

Makeshift Humidor

I received an "ammo case" (metal) as the container for my groomsman gift at a wedding a while back. It seems to seal fairly tightly, and I am wondering if I can use it as a makeshift humidor to store extra cigars until I decide on a real humidor down the road. I'm thinking that some sort of "gasket" type add-on to the lid to improve the seal, and one of those "humidity paks" I have been reading about should keep things okay in the short term, or am I just kidding myself?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
It will work pretty well imo. If it’s a mil-spec ammo can it should be airtight as it is. Throw a boveda in there and you will be golden. There are some who believe that 100% airtight isn’t good either, so if you subscribe to that, open the case one in a while for some air exchange.

I do not think it is a true milspec case, but I can find out. Lid is a very tight fit for a metal case, and it has the same "tension-clamping" lockdown. That is why I was thinking it could work, even as a temporary substitute. Thanks for the response. I enjoy repurposing stuff like this.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
If you google ammo can humidor you’ll see there are folks that sell these, and also a bunch of hacks to make the van nicer, adding trays, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you google ammo can humidor you’ll see there are folks that sell these, and also a bunch of hacks to make the van nicer, adding trays, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THANKS !!! Looking at those vids, the idea of a cedar insert is intriguing. Wish I had some woodworking skills. I also saw some that make use of foam trays? I would think they might trap moisture and ruin the cigars, would they not?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Certain foams may outgas and flavor the cigars. Xikar used to sell foam inserts for their hard cigar cases, which work pretty well.

As long as it’s airtight it should be fine, you can stash your stogies in there and then drop in a few Boveda packs and they will maintain the correct humidity, I personally like Boveda as they either add or remove humidity using a single pack or packs

Last edited:
Look up “coolidors”.

Whoa . . . I'm just getting started. No way in heck am I going to need one of those . . . well, until next summer anyway.

As long as it’s airtight it should be fine, you can stash your stogies in there and then drop in a few Boveda packs and they will maintain the correct humidity, I personally like Boveda as they either add or remove humidity using a single pack or packs

My only concern at the moment is the metal itself and possible condensation within the container. Or is that not really an issue at 70% RH? I suppose it wouldn't matter with sticks in tubes, but loose?

Whoa . . . I'm just getting started. No way in heck am I going to need one of those . . . well, until next summer anyway.

My only concern at the moment is the metal itself and possible condensation within the container. Or is that not really an issue at 70% RH? I suppose it wouldn't matter with sticks in tubes, but loose?

Check out BOVEDA here What Boveda RH do I need? - https://bovedainc.com/support/cigars/boveda-rh-need/

They work extremely well, I store herbs in an Herb Guard glass container with a 8 gram 72% RH BOVEDA pack and they hold the contents at the 72%

Not sure of your budget but I would think a tall glass container with a BOVEDA pack would do the trick and they are simple to use as you just drop one in and close the container and once the pack gets hard you toss it and put in a new one, I have had them last almost a year

My budget is not an issue. Just want to make use of something until I decide on a decent sized proper humidor. And if there is no condensation on a glass container, there should not be any on metal, either. I think I am likely concerned over not much of anything.

Thank you, gentlemen.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom

I guess this brings up the question of where you will be storing your container. You want somewhere around 70 degrees as tobacco beetles hatch at around 72 . . . I guess they carry thermometers . . .

Whatever the temperature . . . as long as the temperature is reasonably stable there should be no condensation.

Indoors, out of direct sunlight. I live just NW of Toronto. Hot summers, cold winters (just not Saskatchewan cold). House temperature is moderate and fluctuates gradually throughout the year. Gets a little dry come late February if my skin is any indication. But that can be dealt with in the humidor, yes?

You could also get an empty cigar box from your local B&M and place it in there. I have a small coolador and I just have 2 empty cigar boxes in it along with a couple boveda packs. Not the most elegant, but it works well.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I just enjoyed an Acid Blondie. This was from a 3300 ml (by eye about 8" x 12" x 2" maybe a bit smaller) less than $10 food storage container where I've been keeping my Acid cigars, Kentucky Cheroots, and others that are odd enough to possibly contaminate the flavors of cigars I keep in my humidor. I've not opened the container for a few months. With a couple of Boveda packs it is at a perfect 70% and 68 degrees.

Okay, so I lined the bottom with a few cedar sheets, courtesy of my new B&M haunt (Havana Castle, if it matters). Threw in a Boveda pak and loaded her up. 25 cigars plus a couple boxes of cigarillos for the SWMBO.
Humidor1.jpg
Humidor2.jpg
Cubans1.jpg
HC1.jpg

You should be fine in the short term, but you'll need an upgrade soon. Already looking full! As someone said in an earlier post, coolidors are great. Cheap, big, and works better than anything else I've ever had. Have 5 coolidors currently.

Oh I plan on a real humidor soon. Probably in the 150-200 range. Likely never get there, but I have options if I do. This is strictly a temporary (and overflow) solution as I start out. Christmas is not too far off, after all.

Top Bottom