What's new

Make your own shave soap

Has anyone here, besides the vendors, tried to make their own shave soap?
The wife and I are going to give it a shot in the next few weeks and see how it turns out.
Nothing ventured nothing gained.
If nothing else, it should be an interesting experiment.

I will keep this post updated as the shave soap making experiment progresses.

John

I melted a puck of VDH into a bowl with a few splashes of cologne for a different scent... but that's the closest I've come to making my own :lol:

Good luck, let us know how it turns out!

Cold Process? If you haven't worked with lye before, be very careful and add it only to very cold water; not water into the lye.
Good luck!! :smile:
Sue

do some searching, I have a friend that lives in my town, member Micah1_8, that makes his own shave soap using an olive oil base melt and pour soap you can get at craft stores, adds the clay and scents. It's not cold process like some of our great vendors' soaps, and it's not tallow like Tabac & company, but makes a darn nice shave, in fact one of my favorites

Cold Process? If you haven't worked with lye before, be very careful and add it only to very cold water; not water into the lye.
Good luck!! :smile:
Sue

Probably going to start out with melt and pour. The wife is afraid of me playing with lye at this point. I figure work my way into it and she will come along gradually.

Looks like a fine off shoot to shaving though..

I am looking for some ingredients. Any recommendations for menthol, or other scents? :confused:You can PM me if you are worried about trade secrets.

Thanks,

John

John, Choose the scents you enjoy the most and use them. Don't make a lot until you have perfected the soap itself. You can find EO at many health food stores. Use menthol at about 2.5% as a median start point and adjust if needed. Remember menthol must be dissolved prior to use. It comes in the form or crystals. They are actually quite pretty. Dissolve them in your liquid. Keep the cap tightly closed and well away from humidity or you'll end up with a big glob.
Sue

John, Choose the scents you enjoy the most and use them. Don't make a lot until you have perfected the soap itself. You can find EO at many health food stores. Use menthol at about 2.5% as a median start point and adjust if needed. Remember menthol must be dissolved prior to use. It comes in the form or crystals. They are actually quite pretty. Dissolve them in your liquid. Keep the cap tightly closed and well away from humidity or you'll end up with a big glob.
Sue

Thanks Sue, I will do that. I am just making enough to fill a few mugs I have sitting around and see how it comes out. No threat to Saint Charles Shave, Susie's' Bubbles or Mama Bear's Soaps thats for sure!!

John

Top Bottom