What's new

Make Ice Cream, in a Mason Jar [say whaaaat?]

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
proxy.php
Ever think you could make Ice Cream w/o all the fuss?

This idea / recipe is just what the doctor ordered during these difficult times! 😷

By Amelia Nierenberg - NY Times - 9 May 2020
"Making ice cream at home feels like alchemy, a complex process of mixing and cooling.
proxy.php

Now that summer is fast approaching, maybe try it out. You don’t even need a fancy ice-cream maker. All you really need is heavy cream, a Mason jar and strong forearms [just think...Popeye would have no problem at this...💪]

It’s a fun at-home project and so easy a child could be in charge.

proxy.php

Basic Mason Jar Ice Cream - Ingredients
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1 ½ tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
  • A pinch of salt
  • A 16 oz Mason jar, of course.
    Yield: About three servings.
Steps;

1. Pour the cream, sugar, vanilla and salt into the jar, and screw on the lid tightly.
2. Shake vigorously, until the cream thickens and almost doubles in size, which should take about five minutes. You’ll know you’re done when the mixture doubles in volume and is about the consistency of brownie batter.
3. Freeze for at least 3 hours. Then eat. You’re welcome.

Or, add a twist;

You could, if you’re daring, spruce it up. Here are some ideas on what to add to the recipe above.
Berry Ice Cream. If you want the flavor mixed-in, blend ½ cup of fresh berries and add it to the mixture before you freeze it. (You can also cheat: a tablespoon of jam will work.) If you prefer chunks, cut up the berries. Voilà".

Works Cited: Make Ice Cream in a mason jar

proxy.php
"You scream, I scream, we all scream for Ice Cream". American Proverb

Last edited:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
We did the below a few times, and it was fun. It sounds pretty similar but on a different scale. We never did get back to all the variations we wanted, and we might have to fix that with everyone home.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
What I liked about the Cook's Country recipe that I posted and did at home was the texture. They use some corn syrup in there so that the ice cream isn't so hard when it comes out of the freezer. Now, it was pretty hard after 24 hours in my -5F deep freeze, but it only took a couple minutes to become scoopable. The corn syrup also makes for a creamier texture.

Keep in mind that it only called for plain ol' Karo syrup. Karo (or other corn syrups on the grocery store shelf) are NOT high fructose corn syrup. That nasty stuff has a bunch of its dextrose (an isomer of glucose) converted to fructose. Karo is just dextrose. That doesn't mean it's good for you, but it's not as bad as HFCS.

Top Bottom