What's new

Majors for 2018 are over. Can Woods get one in 2019?

I would have to admit, since Tiger's fall from greatness a few years ago, his multiple back surgeries and setbacks along the way, I never even gave him a chance to win another golf tourney let alone a Major. And I mean never, in a thousand years never.

Yet, this past weekend at the PGA and especially yesterday on the final day I saw something that I thought I'd never see again. An extremely competitive Tiger making the crowd roar even when we pretty much knew it was a done deal at the Par 5 17th. A drive that almost went into the water yet he managed and scrambled to save par. Vintage Woods a la late 90's early 2000's. On the 18th, a 21' footer for birdie that sent the masses into a frenzy. The way they screamed and cheered you would have thought that he had just won. And he did, just not the trophy.

Brooks Koepka won the Wannamaker with thunderous drives and even keeled iron play with some good putts along the way for a masterful display of power and consistency. He earned it. And in my eyes golfer of the year with 2 Majors this year and 3 total.

So, does 2019 mean that Tiger will be in full Major win mode? Or, are the young guns on tour too much to surpass? One thing is for certain, when Tiger is in contention there is excitement in the air whether you root for or against him.

He's not the Tiger of old but, he served notice yesterday and at the British Open that he's not done yet. He still might not win another Major but, in my eyes he went from never to a definite possibility in just a few short weeks of play.

Can't wait till next year at the Master's....

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I do think he'll be winning Major's again, and soon. I think he's finally realized he is not 25 anymore, and his game needs to adjust to his age. Will he surpass Jack? Tougher to answer.

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
My wife said TV ratings for PGA were up 69%! This is very good for golf. Now for some opinions...
1) Tiger played on "slower" greens at the PGA
2) Golf is a difficult game and nearly anyone with a hot putter may win
3) I'd like Tiger to win as it will help the game in general.
4) Koepka, during the last round of a major yesterday looked like he was waiting in line for a sandwich, absolutely no pressure. Who can beat him?
5) McIlroy, Thomas, Fowler, Speith, et. al., are gaining in maturity. Forgive me if I am not naming your favorite golfer.

Like I said, it's possible now that we saw what he did in the last 2 Majors. I think the health issue is key here. There's a lot of mileage on those wheels and his back will have to hold up. If he's going to do a Major or two it has to happen within the next year or two. Catching Jack? That's a whole different story and I agree on that....

I recall Jack Nicklaus winning a Masters at some high age, 45+?
Yes. 46 to be exact. Woods will be 43 by the time the Master's rolls around. I think as @FarmerTan mentioned previously, he has to realize he's not 25 and adjust his game accordingly.

At the same time the field has gotten so much better in the past 5-7 years and no one is intimidated by his presence anymore. I mean D. Johnson, Koepka, Reed, Day, McIlroy and a few others are long off the tee with very good iron play. And if their putting game is on, it will be tough for Woods to break through.

Let's face it, a competitive Woods is better for the game 10 fold. I picked up the clubs because of his impact and what he's done for the game. I've been a fan of his game, not of his personna and rather calculated and cold character on how he carried himself within the game. His personal life is his and that's his business.

The guy that I follow, Big Lefty has been a no show for a bit. I'm hoping soon that he can make some waves and excitement very soon....

He fixes his driver and no question.
Koepka has won 4 tournaments in his career, 3 majors. Who knows if he will give a damn in 2019? He's likely to just celebrate his magical 2018 all off-season. I don't see any of the young guys (Speith, DJ, McIlroy, etc.) with the fortitude to come back strong in 2019. Tiger fixes that driver and I think he wins at least one major in 2019.

PGA took a downturn with the exempt tour. Granted it was a lot harder on the players, and money was tight, but you saw players letting it all hang out to make the $$$, like Nicklaus. Nothing like turning on the TV Sunday and seeing him 4 off the lead and the charge he could make. Tiger in his prime was just as exciting to watch. Most of the players now play to a point to make their money and protect that position, few let it hang out anymore. I would love to see Tiger win another major, and really would like to see more real competition versus earning a check.

PGA took a downturn with the exempt tour. Granted it was a lot harder on the players, and money was tight, but you saw players letting it all hang out to make the $$$, like Nicklaus. Nothing like turning on the TV Sunday and seeing him 4 off the lead and the charge he could make. Tiger in his prime was just as exciting to watch. Most of the players now play to a point to make their money and protect that position, few let it hang out anymore. I would love to see Tiger win another major, and really would like to see more real competition versus earning a check.

Great point. Unfortunately, it's all about corporate sponsorship nowadays and maximizing earnings potential.

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
agreed: example Jason Day

FarmerTan

The PGA hasn't been the same for me since Chi Chi Rodriguez and Lee Trevino. Sigh. Now you kids get off my lawn!

The PGA hasn't been the same for me since Chi Chi Rodriguez and Lee Trevino. Sigh. Now you kids get off my lawn!

True. There were some great golfers and personalities in the 70's & 80's. Taking Jack out of the picture, you had Watson, Casper and Weiskopf. And who could forget Hubert Green! That guy pulled out the 77' US Open under a death threat. That's ice water in your veins and some big cojones. And the comet himself, Johnny Miller. He came, he played, he won and was gone. He could have won a few more majors if he would have stuck around.

And then, the man that got me into watching the game (besides Nicklaus of course) Seve Ballesteros. His shots and iron play, especially out of bunkers was legendary.....

Yes, the good old days.

Hey mister, can I get my golf ball out of your lawn?? :001_tt2:

If I was forced to bet I would say Tiger Woods doesn't win another major. There is too much good competition. Though it would not surprise me if he did.

I enjoy watching him and others play the game under weekend pressure, but I don't like the tendency for TV coverge to give him such outsized attention. (I did not watch this weekend, but I can only imagine the commentators talking about him, even when others are being shown)

If there’s a vengeful and spiteful Golfing God, she won’t allow that sleazebag Woods any closer sniff to a major than he had last weekend.
B-b-b-but the tv ratings! Golf survived a century or a bit without that sleazebag, and they’ll do okay when he’s finally dragged out for the final time from the local Hooter’s restaurant.

If there’s a vengeful and spiteful Golfing God, she won’t allow that sleazebag Woods any closer sniff to a major than he had last weekend.
B-b-b-but the tv ratings! Golf survived a century or a bit without that sleazebag, and they’ll do okay when he’s finally dragged out for the final time from the local Hooter’s restaurant.
I hope, for my sake at least, that whatever Gods are out there aren't about being vengeful and spiteful... To him or anyone else.

He is beyond gifted, and a once in a generation talent, and he carries a weight that nobody else out there can come close to matching. I'd love to see him get another one. Then he can go party with the swedish bikini team for all I care.

FarmerTan

49% of me agrees with you 100%.

Top Bottom