What's new

Major Noob Question: Where do you keep a shaving soap puck?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I've enjoyed all the suggestions here. Some of us newbies don't have any empty containers around. As I said... lots of great ideas... repurposing what we might already have but had never considered for shaving pucks, buying various new containers, recycled containers from soap suppliers. Great stuff.

I live in Arizona. 🤷‍♂️

$1.17 at the box store and the lid from an empty soap tub. Gathering/lathering perfection.

CB.jpg
CB1.jpg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I keep two lidded pewter soap dishes in the bathroom, both made by pewtersmith companies in Sheffield.

IMG_20210330_125000(1).jpg
(Old pic, they're not that shiny anymore)

I keep a hard soap refill in one (whichever it fits best in), and a sample sized scoop from a tub soap in the other.

I also have a repurposed mug in the bathroom, which I used to keep soap in, but that is now for rinsing my razor, which keeps the sink water free of stubble for rinsing my face and hydrating lather.

IMG_20210415_121110.jpg

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
If I buy a puck without a jar, where do I store it safely to be reused later on for lathering?

I make some of my own shave soap and buy some (very little). When I make a batch, I press the hot soap into a clean Pringle's potato chip can. Once it's cool I tear off the paper "can" and slice the soap into pucks. It's about 8 pucks, usually. I wrap each puck in waxed paper and stack them into a tall plastic freezer container. I pull one out when I need a new one.

My "active" puck stays in the mug until it is gradually removed by the brush. After each shave excursion I simply rinse out the mug with warm water and put it on the counter leaving the puck in it.

O.H.

linty1

My wallet cries.
E4F29E8E-0C03-46DA-BE3B-BE970C25B660.jpeg

I just did one as an example, the Palmira cube Inwas using was getting too fiddly to use, so I took a knife to it, littke slices and pressed it into an empy stirling jar. Although I did press it down good, I didn't bother making it look "pretty" by pressing it smooth, that'll take care of itself after a few loads.

I make some of my own shave soap and buy some (very little). When I make a batch, I press the hot soap into a clean Pringle's potato chip can. Once it's cool I tear off the paper "can" and slice the soap into pucks. It's about 8 pucks, usually. I wrap each puck in waxed paper and stack them into a tall plastic freezer container. I pull one out when I need a new one.

My "active" puck stays in the mug until it is gradually removed by the brush. After each shave excursion I simply rinse out the mug with warm water and put it on the counter leaving the puck in it.

O.H.
That's awesome!

I would put TOBS Natural as my favourite cream. And I keep the tubs to use with Haslinger pucks. A perfect fit.
I yet to try TOBS but I placed an order for Sandalwood (tube) & Cedarwood (puck) that should arrive this coming week. I'm looking forward to both!

I got some new pucks and this time I don't have any old soap containers because I was using arko as a stick.
This was my free way of finding a container 🤣 I'll probably just keep an eye out for a smaller jar, but I think this will work for now :)

Attachments

• IMG_20220511_095522.jpg
    IMG_20220511_095522.jpg
    636.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20220511_095528.jpg
    IMG_20220511_095528.jpg
    785.8 KB · Views: 4

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I got some new pucks and this time I don't have any old soap containers because I was using arko as a stick.
This was my free way of finding a container 🤣 I'll probably just keep an eye out for a smaller jar, but I think this will work for now :)

What you need, is the Proraso green lather bowl with the handle on the side, I think you will love that. Its nice and deep to put the puk in, and gives you a chance to build up some mighty fine lather.

1652279217181.png

What you need, is the Proraso green lather bowl with the handle on the side, I think you will love that. Its nice and deep to put the puk in, and gives you a chance to build up some mighty fine lather.

View attachment 1453990
I had something very similar in black, I think it was a VDH kit 12 years ago or something.
I keep moving around and kept tossing the heavy items. I guess I can buy a coffee mug cheaper and I know it would be more comfortable but next time I move I'm going to throw it away.

It's alright, I've got my eye on other jars in the house that I'll replace it with, but I really wanted to try these pucks out and didn't want my friend to throw away the last product in the better sized jar 😅

Top Bottom