What's new

Major Noob Question: Where do you keep a shaving soap puck?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Dollar Tree $1.00 ceramic custard cup that serves as my shaving bowl. After the shave, the soap and cup go into the cabinet. Keeping it simple.

Why not buy vintage Old Spice mugs and start a collection of different versions? They are inexpensive, plentiful, and very stylish. They may even improve the performance and scent of any soap kept within them, or, they may not.
I have 4 of these OS mugs, and I found a place on etsy called FrugalShave that makes custom lids for them that are really nice. I'm not sure that it improves the performance or scent, but it didn't hurt it and they sure look good. He also makes them for Williams, Burma Shave, or what ever design you send him.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Vintage Old Spice mugs have the proper vibe

full

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I have used

Old soap containers
Plastic food containers
Snack containers
Jars
Dip bowls
Old candle holders
Containers I've picked up at thrift stores

There are no rules, use whatever works one of my favourites is a brown glass bowl with a wooden lid that once held a rather nice vanilla candle. The only problem is finding enough space to store it on my shaving shelf.

I only have two soaps: a William's pick jammed into an Avon mug, and a puck of Col Conk Bay Rum that I nuked into an Old Spice mug.

Neither gets covered. I just load my damp brush, move to a bowl to lather, then rinse the mug/soap, dry the outside of the mug, and store in a drawer in the bathroom vanity.

I'm not too worried about proper storage or losing fragrance or even the potential of corrupting the soap in some way, as both were inexpensive soaps.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I really like the word "ramekin"... I had no idea that's what they were called.. and we have a few of them of different diameters. So I learned something yesterday when Hairless Wonder mentioned them.

My wife, on the other hand, knew exactly what they are.... and was surprised I didn't. We have the wider, shallower ones for Creme Brule and little, taller ones had food items packaged in them like Lobster Mac & Cheese, etc.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I really like the word "ramekin"... I had no idea that's what they were called.. and we have a few of them of different diameters. So I learned something yesterday when Hairless Wonder mentioned them.

My wife, on the other hand, knew exactly what they are.... and was surprised I didn't. We have the wider, shallower ones for Creme Brule and little, taller ones had food items packaged in them like Lobster Mac & Cheese, etc.

Don't worry Phoenix, I never heard of them either, that was the first I ever heard of that word, and I been living quite a while now. Thing is, you don't know the things you don't know, until you've gotten the chance to know them. And we learn new things everyday. Cool beans 😎

The TfOBS cream bowls are useful for replacement pucks like Mitchell's Wool Ft and Tabac; they have screw top lids too which is an advantage. Many rice bowls are also a suitable size but no lids on them.

I've found that the tubs that Stirling sells their 3oz soaps in fit many different other brands. They are a good size that's easy for me to hold too.

I had to Google "Ramekin" when I first read it here, LOL!!
Had no clue what it was!

I agree! Ramekin is such a fun word! It's kind of like what you would expect Rumplestiltskin to name his dog or cat. 😁

Oddly, enough, I first learned the word when I was a kid. I ran into it when I read a Reader's Digest version of some book at my aunt's house. (The book included the definition.) It was such a funny little word that it stuck. 🙂

I guess it depends on how many you'll be using at a time. With hard pucks, I just leave them in the mug next to the sink and let them air dry after use.

Top Bottom