What's new

Major Noob Question: Where do you keep a shaving soap puck?

Note: I searched first on B&B for this and found nothing!

As the title says:
The soap pucks I've bought so far come in a jar (Proraso & Clubman), so I'm lathering up right in the jar.
If I buy a puck without a jar, where do I store it safely to be reused later on for lathering?
I guess if you buy a refill for a matching soap/jar that you currently have, it's easy.
But what do you do if it's just a random different puck that you buy?
What do you all do?

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Recycle jars or other containers from previous soaps or force into a coffee cup.

I second this, as logically, its the only way. I myself am not running into this issue, why? Because I am new to the hobby, it means that I am buying soaps for the first time. So I know not to buy the pucks, when I have nothing to put them in.

So I begin my journey buying the jars/containers, or in Tabac's case, the ceramic bowl it comes in. Once those containers are empty, I will then buy the puck refills. Sometimes its best to take an extra look on the website, to determine if its just a puk, or the whole container.

All of mine are either grated or smooshed into Ziploc containers. Easy storage because they stack out of sight under the sink.

68570845-EC11-4E82-96CC-76E5D2B4BF27.jpeg
8B374BA0-E768-47F2-8D09-A57B4657BCB1.jpeg

As the title says:
The soap pucks I've bought so far come in a jar (Proraso & Clubman), so I'm lathering up right in the jar.
If I buy a puck without a jar, where do I store it safely to be reused later on for lathering?
I guess if you buy a refill for a matching soap/jar that you currently have, it's easy.
What do you all do?
I don't have much counter or storage space, and I don't buy soaps in plastic tubs, so I just keep a soap puck in a mug. I load the brush on the puck and build lather on my face. I keep things tidy by having just one soap puck until its used up.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I was looking into this the other day... all the above suggestions are great.

You could also buy a small traveling soap container like this one (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08JJ2HPBX/) It is just under 4" outside diameter so even the larger 150ml soap pucks should fit... they are just over 3.5", I think, based on the ones I've checked from Saponificio Varesino, i.e., 90mm so 3.54 inches.

It might be a tight fit, so you'd have to grate a puck that size down some...

or buy a cheap, stainless steel shaving bowl with a lid for around $15: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RW7S1RZ/, just for storage.

The above are all excellent suggestions. I just read a post (I can't find it again 😣) where someone used ramekins to store his (Stirling) soaps. That's also a great idea.

If you're interested in having a wood shaving bowl, you can always go on Amazon. For flat bottom pucks (i.e., MWF), you can try something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Kingsley-Sha...bfa14c7f610&pd_rd_wg=xwgJv&pd_rd_i=B0018OVL4G

If you do opt for a wooden shaving soap bowl, I would caution against lathering in the bowl (let alone blooming in the bowl!). Instead, I recommend holding the puck in one hand to load your brush (I'd also highly recommend getting a Captain's Choice lather bowl for blooming your soap and to make lather).

Incidentally, for smaller soap pucks (i.e., Haslinger), I use old hair cream/fiber containers.

60EEAE48-1425-4DDE-96B2-41753383185D.jpeg

Last edited:
I agree with the Walmart etc... idea. They have lots of different bowls. Make sure you get at least a 6oz. to accommodate a 5 oz. puck. I would recommend corelle or glass over plastic. Just do a search on "shaving soap bowls" and you'll get more ideas with pictures than you'll have time to look at half of them. Happy hunting.

As the title says:
What do you all do?
I go to the dollar store and buy a pack of snack storage tubs. Just the right size for a soap puck, has the "tuperware" style seal.

linty1

My wallet cries.
I usually just use an old jar that had another soup previous. I'll grab some painters tape and label it and done. I would just wait for an empty jar, BUT if you are pressed and don't want to wait for a jar to empty etc, I have seen in the past Maggard's selling empty jars from product they scoop for samples, not sure if they still exist. But ask/look around where you, you could probably fanagle something (ex penetan tin, hard candy round tin, even an old tuna can will do etc etc)

i only use a couple of soap pucks on a regular basis and I just keep them in a mug or scuttle so they are ready to use. I used to take the puck out dry, store, etc. and usually washed a bunch of lather down the drain. Now I just empty excess water out of the vessel and let the remaining lather air dry. I try not to whip up any more than I need but that part is difficult for me. Crems and softer soaps I just use in my Dreamscape scuttle.

Top Bottom