What's new

Major Debate...

Gents,

We are having a major debate in the office today....

I grew up in Columbia & Charleston, SC we did not call these things "CUPCAKES".
But for the life of me I can not remember the name or what we called them. I swear that they had a different name, please help.

proxy.php

In the Netherlands we have a similar Candy this goes way back childhood Era
I believe we call them here "NegerZoenen"' roughly translated for you it says
Negro Kisses. I think 4 years ago some lawsuite went against the company if they still call them negerzoenen I have no idea depends if they won or lost the lawsuite.

I miss the days when Ding Dongs were individually wrapped in a thin foil wrapper. I would bet that the ingredients have changed a bit over the years as well.

Joe,

I believe you are correct! I seem to remember these being called "Little Debbie's" or "Li'l Debbie's" too.

- Ken -

TraderJoe said:
I think they were called "Little Debbies"

I believe that "Little Debbies" is a brand of so called "chemical cakes", is it not? I recall seeing several varieties of Little debbies brand "cakes" on a recent trip to Walmart (God, how I hate to shop there).

All this talk of lard cakes has reminded me of an episode of Boston Legal I happened to catch a while back. Some guy had eaten these "lard cakes" all his life and was enlisting the services of the firm to sue the maker of the lard cakes for causing him to be fat. I think he won.

That show is hilarious.

TraderJoe said:
All this talk of lard cakes has reminded me of an episode of Boston Legal I happened to catch a while back. Some guy had eaten these "lard cakes" all his life and was enlisting the services of the firm to sue the maker of the lard cakes for causing him to be fat. I think he won.

That show is hilarious.

Do you know how the episode was called ? I could use a good laugh and lots of episodes are floating on usenet at the moment . soon my Prison Break and Lost will start again..finally.. oh where were we.. Cakes...

my father used to be one of the machinist at Hostess in St Louis, and he snuck me in one night and I got to watch these being made and the Ding Dongs too.

Speaking of which....one of the guys took a bite out of a ding dong and put it back on the conveyor belt that went into the wrapping....remember they had a foil wrapping...it wound up at the grocery store that my mother worked at in Farmington, MO...the other checker bought a box and there it was !!!! :w00t:

true story...

Hostess CupCakes.....

mark the shoeshine boy

SSLStudio said:
Do you know how the episode was called ? I could use a good laugh and lots of episodes are floating on usenet at the moment . soon my Prison Break and Lost will start again..finally.. oh where were we.. Cakes...

yes, here it is:

Deep End of the Poole Tuesday May 2nd, 2006
Edwin Poole (Larry Miller), a partner in the law firm of Crane, Poole & Schmidt, returns to work after a stint at a mental institution. But Shirley Schmidt wonders if he should have been released when he decides to help an obese computer technician sue a junk food manufacturer for causing his diabetes. Denny Crane represents Alan Shore, after Shore is arrested for advising a client accused of attempted murder to flee the county. Meanwhile, after their unexpected rendezvous, Brad Chase wants to explore the possibility of a relationship with Denise Bauer.

Source: ABC

NMMB said:
I believe that "Little Debbies" is a brand of so called "chemical cakes", is it not? I recall seeing several varieties of Little debbies brand "cakes" on a recent trip to Walmart (God, how I hate to shop there).

You are correct. Little Debbie is a brand different from Hostess, and they do make a item similar to the Hostess Cupcake called "Chocolate Cupcakes" although they are not round, but octagonal, as seen here:
proxy.php

mark the shoeshine boy said:
my father used to be one of the machinist at Hostess in St Louis, and he snuck me in one night and I got to watch these being made and the Ding Dongs too.

Speaking of which....one of the guys took a bite out of a ding dong and put it back on the conveyor belt that went into the wrapping....remember they had a foil wrapping...it wound up at the grocery store that my mother worked at in Farmington, MO...the other checker bought a box and there it was !!!! :w00t:

true story...

Hostess CupCakes.....

mark the shoeshine boy

proxy.php

BRILLIANT

Our debate has raged most of the day and yet still goes undecided.

Top Bottom