What's new

Major Brush Dilemma! HELP!

Hello Gents,

I am currently using a QED Select silver tip natural horn. I am in the market for a new brush, I would love some help with the decision. I face lather creams 90% of the time, the other 9% of the time I use MWF, 1% of the time I will throw some Cella into the mix. I am stuck in between a Kent BK8 or a Duke 3. Any thoughts on which brush will perform well for all my current needs? Im open to other brush suggestions, but it is my understanding that these two brushes are optimal for face lathering creams. Thanks!

Neither.

The SR3824 would get my vote based on the quality and attributes of those brushes. Rough size of Duke, knot feel and flow of the Kent but not as floppy, better hair then Simpson best (not even close actually) and one of the most comfortable handles out there...not to mention the engraved handle.

Savile Row 3824 Finest Silvertip

Last edited by a moderator:
Neither.

The SR3824 would get my vote based on the quality and attributes of those brushes. Rough size of Duke, knot feel and flow of the Kent but not as floppy, better hair then Simpson best (not even close actually) and one of the most comfortable handles out there...not to mention the engraved handle.

Savile Row 3824 Finest Silvertip

Looks like an excellent brush, how was the shedding?

Last edited by a moderator:
Both are excellent brushes, I have both and they are very different. I find the BK8 is awesome for creams, it is soft hold tons of lather and great flow through, it releases all the cream it is holding. You may find it a little to big for face lathering. The Duke 3 is dense but soft but does not have as good flow through as the BK8. The BK8 is not as good with hard soaps while the Duke is a brush that is versatile, bowl or face lathering, cream or hard soap it does it well.
You will be happy with either, why not get both and have variety?

Both are excellent brushes, I have both and they are very different. I find the BK8 is awesome for creams, it is soft hold tons of lather and great flow through, it releases all the cream it is holding. You may find it a little to big for face lathering. The Duke 3 is dense but soft but does not have as good flow through as the BK8. The BK8 is not as good with hard soaps while the Duke is a brush that is versatile, bowl or face lathering, cream or hard soap it does it well.
You will be happy with either, why not get both and have variety?

This is an excellent piece of advice, IMO.:biggrin1:

Looks like an excellent brush, how was the shedding?

the only time I noticed a few hairs go missing and got worried, was when I was over working a puck I couldn't get to lather. Someone else on the forum had posted about a shedding SR3824, I got worried and though maybe I had one too. Turns out it was just a couple hairs from working it hard multiple times a day and has not shed since.

otherwise, it's been perfectly fine with no issues.

Last edited:

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I face lather using my BK4 and soaps without issue. However, I do grate my soaps to make loading the brush WAY faster, but I did this before getting my Kent.

the only time I noticed a few hairs go missing and got worried, was when I was over working a puck I couldn't get to lather. Someone else on the forum had posted about a shedding SR3824, I got worried and though maybe I had one too. Turns out it was just a couple hairs from working it hard multiple times a day and has not shed since.

other then it's been perfectly fine with no issues.

I have had no shedding issues with my SR 3824 FWIW. Wonderful all around brush with a very comfortable handle.

Ben

I've had probably half a dozen SR's and not a one shed. I'd opt for the 3124 only because I like the handle, but would never kick a 3824 out the door.*

*Well, in effect, I have -- but I've always gotten another and then berated myself for being so dumb.

I'll +5 (or whatever we're on by now) the SR 3824. The Duke 3 in best I had was a bit too scritchy and my Kent BLK8 is relegated to SWMBO's legs and the off bowl lather due to its size and lack of backbone. The SR is a pleasure for both soaps and creams, is wonderfully soft with ample backbone and has a great handle on it.

Charles is great to deal with, so if you have a random mishap with a rarely seen shedder, Charles stands well behind his product.

A dilemma (Greek: δί-λημμα "double proposition") is a problem offering two possibilities, neither of which is practically acceptable.

I believe that your situation is something different.

Any of the brushes mentioned should do you proud- I would also toss the name Thäter into the mix.

SR 3824 all the way. It's great for face lathering creams. If your preferences change (hard soaps, bowl lathering) it will be great at those too. This is hardly the case with most brushes. The SR 3824 is truly a jack of all trades brush.

i owned the BK8 and it would whip up towers of lather which was amazing in a bowl, but very messy for face lathering. This is just my experience and only MHO. You may find the bk8 to be your dream brush.

Thanks for all the help, I guess now my decision is between the Kent, The Duke, The SR, and perhaps a thather. Thinking I'm going to go with the SR.

Top Bottom