What's new

Maintaining two tone, mixed leather/suede shoes?

Very nice collection. I don’t think that you can put Blakey’s in rubber outsoles. I have put them in leather. They are a blast. In addition to the tapping noise you can make sparks on a dry pavement! They also extend the life of the high wear parts of the sole but that’s just a side benefit IMO.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Very nice collection. I don’t think that you can put Blakey’s in rubber outsoles. I have put them in leather. They are a blast. In addition to the tapping noise you can make sparks on a dry pavement! They also extend the life of the high wear parts of the sole but that’s just a side benefit IMO.

It's the grip I'm more concerned about. I have a chronic balance disorder, and spend enough time walking like a newborn Bambi as it is. Although if the benefits are good enough, I might learn to live with them.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
The bummer there is that after waiting five days for a response, they (correctly) informed me that two items were out of stock and were refunded, and the belt should be with me within the next week. However, that tells me nothing about the other items (two pair of cords, one pair of chinos, and a pair of shorts) that are outstanding on the same order.

In fact they said that as I probably wouldn't have ordered the belt on its own, they're refunding the delivery charge too... but the belt is one of five items outstanding that hasn't been refunded.

And now, despite being told that only a belt is coming, and having had two of the other items refunded due to being out of stock, I have received an email telling me that the full order (all seven items listed) has been despatched. :facep: I have no idea what I'm actually going to receive. Hopefully the other (non-refunded) garments are all included, in which case, everything is settled and no further items or monies are left to be argued over.

I should find out tomorrow...

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I should find out tomorrow...

Order complete! Phew! All items that haven't been refunded are now here.

Very pleased with the quality again, but I think I'll try to resist temptation to order any more bargains from there. It's simply far more hassle and stress than clothes shopping should ever be. Besides which, I think the stock levels are starting to deplete somewhat now, which means a higher chance of ordering something that won't be there, when my picking list gets to the front of the queue. Understandably, I don't have a huge amount of faith in their inventory systems. Still, I got some great shoes, trews, and shirts at unbeatable bargain prices, so the ordeal was certainly worth it.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
One more question for the knowledge members here...

Is it worth putting Segs/Blakeys on these, or would that not be recommended?

Quick pic in case they have different names elsewhere on the planet... heel/toe plates/protectors maybe.

proxy.php
It's the grip I'm more concerned about. I have a chronic balance disorder, and spend enough time walking like a newborn Bambi as it is. Although if the benefits are good enough, I might learn to live with them.

They are for leather soles. They protect the toe from wearing out first but don't add much or any traction. They won't improve the traction of those rubber soles at all, and may if anything lessen traction in certain situations (wet pavement, linoleum floor, etc).

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
They are for leather soles. They protect the toe from wearing out first but don't add much or any traction. They won't improve the traction of those rubber soles at all, and may if anything lessen traction in certain situations (wet pavement, linoleum floor, etc).

Thanks Doc :thumbup1:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Oops! That spendy thing happened again. Two-tone brogues pair No. 4 inbound. :001_tt1:

Two-tone no4.png

I haven't even got any of the other three broken in yet!!!

z-F-BV3052.jpg z-WEBBV3774.jpg z-F-BV262.jpg

I have however gotten myself a tub of Timsons Cobblers Cream, a bottle of Saffir Creme Universelle, and a horsehair brush. So although I'll be doing the blistered feet shuffle for the next six months, at least the shoes will be in good nick. 🤣

In fairness, it was at least a semi-planned purchase. The suede and tweed pairs are really dry weather or indoor shoes, and I wanted another "wet weather" (all leather) pair that were a little more casual looking than the oxblood/brown pair. I must admit I do like all these, because they're not too "shouty", and don't look like I'm about to start tap dancing, or forgot to change shoes after leaving the bowling alley. Kinda classic, but not dated. To my mind at least.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I must admit I do like all these, because they're not too "shouty", and don't look like I'm about to start tap dancing, or forgot to change shoes after leaving the bowling alley. Kinda classic, but not dated. To my mind at least.

I should probably clarify that.

The white leather versions wouldn't work on me. Some people wear them well, and they look fantastic. I'm not one of those people. I'm very mix and match in my styling (that's hairstyle and facial hair, as well as the rest of the wardrobe), and can make my choices work, because they're less defined to a specific look, if that makes sense. Putting white leather spectators on me, would be like wearing a tux over a polo shirt.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Oops! That spendy thing happened again. Two-tone brogues pair No. 4 inbound. :001_tt1:

... and a pair of black and brown brogue boots! Not Goodyear welted this time though.

20622711-1-brown.jpg

What the heck have you guys started here? :eek6: Oh well, I think that's still less than £160 for four pairs of Goodyear welted spectators, and a pair of winter boots.

Top Bottom