Tallow or Vegan Soaps and let's hear your reasons, questions, and thoughts

• Tallow all the way

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • It's Vegan for me

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I use both and enjoy them

Votes: 10 76.9%

• Total voters
Time for mail Call again, ask questions, whats on your mind and take part in our poll Tallow VS Vegan.

Tell us why you ( if you do ) prefer one to the other of give us your opinions on both.

If you had asked me 8 months ago, just after starting this hobby, I would have told you tallow all the way due to the false belief that it makes the soap better. However, I've found there are some absolutely wonderful vegan soaps that are every bit as good as their tallow counterparts. Martin de Candre, Saponificio Varesino to name a couple. With that being said, the vast majority of soaps that I enjoy most are tallow based.

Soaps end up being more than the individual components that they're made from, and it's down to the process and total ingredient list and percentages of each ingredient. Kind of like a team sport with a team that "clicks", a good soap is more than the sum of its parts.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I'm in the "Good soap is good soap" camp and have no preference for tallow-vs-non. Tabac is wunderbar, while Klar Kabinett was classy!

When I started out I didn't know the difference. I like a lot of other started with cream, Proraso and Taylor of Old Bond Street. Hmmm is there a tallow cream?
My 1st soap was actually Modern Williams Mug Shaving Soap, which is tallow. I actually was able to get a good lather with it after a couple of attempts, following the suggestions that I had read on B&B.
My 2nd soap was Proraso Red, which is vegan. I got as just as good performance from it as I did the Williams.
My current soap inventory has both tallow and vegan soaps and I use them interchangeably.
IMHO there some great soaps out there! Some happen to be tallow and some happen to be vegan. So don't let that be a deciding factor for you.

When I first started it was Tallow all the way. But now with better soaps being made, I think it is clearly up to the formula being used. I have excellent non tallow soaps and excellent tallow soaps. But if I had to pick one... i'd lean towards Tallow but I have no real reason why.

I voted Tallow because most of the time vegan soaps don't work well with my skin. I've found about 3 that I can use and perform well for me so far, but as a whole they just are very dry and not in the least bit protective with my skin, and some are actually fairly irritating.
I'm not against trying more, as I'm occasionally surprised, but mainly, I just stick to tallow.

Top Bottom