What's new

Magic Shave?

I can’t tell you how the Toggle will shave, others will chime in during the day, but I understand your feelings about the Gen1 Aristocrat. I love the shaves of my US and just yesterday acquired a British one too.

DC39133B-6E14-4879-9FEB-47FCA78892AD.jpeg

4FA9FFD4-7585-4430-A267-56ED0CC9CC2C.jpeg

I can’t tell you how the Toggle will shave, others will chime in during the day, but I understand your feelings about the Gen1 Aristocrat. I love the shaves of my US and just yesterday acquired a British one too.

View attachment 1416540

View attachment 1416541
WOW! Beautiful razors! The more I learn here, the more I want British versions of my American inheritance. Do the British versions shave different for you?

Curly

Beaming up Peter @Northstonehill one of our resident experts on British Aristocrats who might even have 1-2 that he wants to part with.

I don’t expect the shaves to be vastly different but I haven’t received it yet.
Thank you! That sounds great! It appears my inheritance has turned into what y’all call RAD. Never had a better shave once I was blessed with DE razors. I do sincerely miss the man who left them to me. But I am enjoying the trip learning to use them. My Dad already knew this about me when he left his razors to me.

Good luck with the new shaves from your new British Aristocrat!

Isn’t this stuff, fun! Old school shaving, using outdated tools, which do the job better than modern technology. I’m as impressed with these shavers as I am with old guns. Technology may have taken more market share, but my 1886 Winchester still works as good as it did “brand new” in 1887.

Curly

The fun and sad thing is that neither age nor price will guarantee a perfect shave. Yes I also love handing and using well made stuff (watches, knives, guns, pens) as many here do. Yes having a piece with history and gravitas adds one more pleasant component to the shave but it doesn’t antedates the result.

For instance personally I prefer the Merkur Progress over my two Gillette Adjustables (Slim and Fatboy) and while I like the look of your Toggles I wouldn’t want one for myself.

54663E1B-01E9-4660-A069-3938F43CDF36.jpeg

I understand. I’m new to this wet shaving thing, but not new to quality tools. And I have Merkur Progress now. (See below) The only “new” DE shaver I own. Bought it because of the reviews and comments here at B&B. It’s my dedicated travel razor and it’s given a great shave. I just remain enamored with old-school tools.
0CF5B3DA-D1F5-43BC-B177-AE911DF768ED.jpeg

Thanks again Multum in parvo!

As I’ve enjoyed my time here, it seems an underlying theme is we each have unique faces, thus unique shaving experiences, and the quest for the “Excalibur of Razors” is also unique to each of us. It also appears the destination is not nearly as significant as the journey. Or as much fun. The joy is in the ride!

G

Guest2023

Given my recent success at trying “new” old Gillettes, I’m thinking of trying one of these. Just scares me a bit to use one, and then be disappointed. View attachment 1416530

For me, Gillette adjustables including Toggle are nothing exceptional. I prefer earlier Gillettes like News and USA and UK Aristocrats. and I also prefer today's adjustable offerings from Merkur or other premium adjustables.

lasta

Blade Biter
I'm one-half realist and one-half idealist.

All razors are just blade holders, but prettier razors give better shaves. Your razor is a stunner!

Thank you, lasta! I’m learning to appreciate each one at a time. Very good shave with tonight’s toggle, but not as two-pass smooth as the earlier Aristocrat. Next up is a Travel Tech. Came in a small Razor ‘n Blades travel case. Handle seems a bit short, but it appears unused. Still has the cardboard “blade” insert. Thinking of trying a longer, heavier handle. Don’t need it as a travel razor. I’ve been toting a Merkur Progress for that task. It’s been a good shaver also when I execute my part correctly. I’m pretty sure my varying quality issues are more related to technique. Thus, I get the realistic view of “blade holders”.

Tried the Travel Tech. Didn’t like the handle. Too short. Struggled with the angle. Ordered a new handle. So I guess I now own a Frakenrazor? Handle is SS and heavy compared to the balance of my other Techs. But I like this look. Just hope it shaves better than the shorty.

Attachments

• 5A185DE7-687A-4B0B-9161-4764F98902F9.jpeg
    5A185DE7-687A-4B0B-9161-4764F98902F9.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
  • 175DE867-4AC1-4C63-80DD-270A0C44F65E.png
    175DE867-4AC1-4C63-80DD-270A0C44F65E.png
    7.5 MB · Views: 7
  • CA01C413-21BF-4813-B92D-754620855F86.jpeg
    CA01C413-21BF-4813-B92D-754620855F86.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
Top Bottom