What's new

Magic Shave?

I’m new here. I inherited some beautiful DE razors, and after using them I donated my Braun’s to Goodwill. Tonight, I shaved with a new (old) razor, what I think is a 1934 Aristocrat, using an Astra blade. Got the best shave I’ve had since 1994 when a gentleman named “Skip” shaved me with a straight razor in the basement of the Palmer House hotel in Chicago. Skip was 80 at the time and a master of his craft. Sorry for digressing. Two passes with the grain and I got a BBS shave. It was a magical shave. I’m astonished. Does this happen all the time?

Curly

I think of it like playing darts. You give it your best effort a every time, but you only hit the bullseye a percent of the time. Eventually, the shaves that land just outside the bullseye become common and the ones that hit dead on become less noticeable. Unfortunately, the ones that do miss usually are the most memorable! 😁

I laughed out loud at your responses! Guess I hit a home run on accident as my technique is still under development. That was my only bullseye in several months of wet shaving. Here’s the culprit:
AC08E110-842F-4297-9075-38458D29C698.jpeg
3C4918D0-71F9-499B-B624-14F3BED00D5E.jpeg

Astra Green (green box, at least) Superior Platinum. I’ve found these blades easier on my face in the razors I’ve tried compared to Feathers. As noted, I’m relatively new to wet shaving and all has been a wonderful experiment so far. I ordered some sample pack DE blades and will be trying each brand in different razors as I go. Haven’t needed a tourniquet yet…..

Wow. What a gorgeous razor, and a great way to start.

For me the answer is yes, magical shaves happen fairly frequently. Not every shave, obviously, but at least a couple of times a month, and sometimes more. So you should have more incredible shaves to look forward to.

And welcome to the rabbit hole, Most of my shaves nowadays are pretty fantastic but that's what drew me to shaving with a straight or safety razor were those light bulb moments when you get a great result. It's amazing how satisfying a good shave is. Pretty nice looking 'Crat there

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Do magical shaves happen every day? No. Do I always answer my own questions? Again, no. :)

When we consider all the variables, perhaps Arthur C. Clarke's observation that magic is just poorly-understood science is apropos. In that sense, if you find a razor that delivers magical shaves, defend it with your life. Your technique will evolve. Other razors will be magical, too. But you've got a magical razor now; enjoy the heck out of it!

O.H.

There's something really cool about the OC Aristocrats both US and British, isn't it? I'm currently trying to get my hands on a cased US Aristocrat from the 38s-40s with the Senator style tabs.

Thank y’all! I like it! It appears to be more of a “precision tool” when compared to some of the other razors I have. Not positively certain if it’s a ‘34 or not, but it’s a great shaver and I’m keeping it!

And welcome to the rabbit hole, Most of my shaves nowadays are pretty fantastic but that's what drew me to shaving with a straight or safety razor were those light bulb moments when you get a great result. It's amazing how satisfying a good shave is. Pretty nice looking 'Crat there
Thank you!

As to the rabbit hole, I fear I’ve fallen into a warren. Never knew so many different razors existed. Some are works of art. I dipped a toe into the modern razor pool with a Merkur recently, but my other razors are all vintage Gillette’s, (except for one Stahly), and I think the ‘34 Aristocrat is the oldest, but again not sure what I have. The research is almost as fun as the great shaves. And yesterday’s shave was magic!

These are the 3 types of the US OC Aristocrats. The picture and the text are not mine and just copy-pasted from this thread.
Dates are approximate.
The first variant on the left was produced in 1934 and 1935 possibly as late as 1936. It is unique due to it's lower profile head than the rest of the variants.
The second variant in the middle was produced in 1936 and 1937.
The third and final open comb variant was produced between 1938 - 1940, the major change being the tabs standardized on all TTO razors in 1938 with the introduction of the Senator razor.

us aristocrats.jpg

The biggest difference here is between the first two heads a.k.a. - 34 and 36. The 34 version has slimmer head profile compared to the other Aristocrats and other Gillette TTO razors as well.

Thank you very, very much Medivh! It appears I have a 1936, not a 1934. I used another TTO for comparison based on your suggestion. View attachment 1415709

Both 34 and 36 are great shavers and have their fans. The 34 is more unique in a sense that it's Gillette's first TTO razor and one of the worlds first along with the GEM Micromatic series, Segal and maybe others too. I would personally pick the 36, since it's considered to be an upgrade, but that's just a personal preference.

Good for you. A great opening salvo especially about "Skip". I wish you many wonderful shaves and experiences into this most "male" aspect of grooming and self presentation.

Ok. It would appear technology has overcome my lack of technique. I just got a second BBS shave out of two passes with an old 1936 Aristocrat using an Astra Green box blade. Thanks to Medivh for helping me identify it. The first shave was so good, it took two days for me to need another. Normally I shave every night. Didn’t need to last night. Thanks again to all here who have helped me along the wet shaving way!

Curly.

You know that you will find people that will sell you a kidney or their firstborn for these Toggles?

If you can determine the unused ones leave them pristine but otherwise give it a go and start with a medium setting :thumbsup:
All but the one without a case are like new, or appear to be. I guess they have some light handling marks, or a bit of “cosmetic wear” from being moved around in the cases, but the only one with wear through the finish is the one without a case. It has lost a 16th or so of the finish across the face at the intersection of the silo doors. That’s the one I’ll try if I’m bold enough to try something outside the 1936 when hoping for a magical shave. I think just got spoiled. Or lucky. Or both.

Curly

Top Bottom