What's new

Magic Schick Krona... Wow

This razor, paired with a Feather, does things no other razor does for me. It zips right over my chin without catching or roughing me up, it cuts WTG with aplomb, and it gets me to at least DFS in two passes every time, with zero irritation- no matter how careless I am.

In other words, it sort of takes the fun out of shaving, in a way. :) In any case, I had no intention of loving it. The plastic handle and lightweight metalwork screams "MASS-MARKET PRODUCT". Also, I'd all but given up on DEs, having converted to Gemology and the occasional injector. Somehow, though, the thing just delivers.

It's become my main weekday razor. On weekends I still haul out the 1912 and take my time (and probably get a closer shave overall) but the Krona steals the "no time, no mental bandwidth, just need to shave and go" crown from my black-tip SS, no contest.

Get one, while they're still going for $5-15 on le Bay.

I tried one exactly once. It zipped around my face like nobody's business. Almost too easy. I'm surprised this isn't recommend as a noobie razor more frequently.

The only problem I had is that it's just too mild for my beard. To be fair, I never tried it with a Feather.

I was thinking of trying my first Feather in a Tech, but I suppose it could be in my Krona. Hmmm.....

Kronas match up well with sharper blades. They are and have been recommended to newbies and old pro's alike. As for mass-market looks, well, for me, they shave better than an English #58 or Futur, so that's one less rat race to try and keep up with. (There are still brushes and creams and aftershaves, after all.) My Krona and Schick injector make shaving fun, not a chore. Life is challenging enough -- at least this part of it goes smooth and easy.

In other words, it sort of takes the fun out of shaving, in a way. :) In any case, I had no intention of loving it.

Funny you should say that. I like the Krona and have often thought that Schick's mistake was making a product that was TOO good. Cheap, gets the job done with no fanfare, easy to maintain - a commercial disaster!

i tried one exactly once. It zipped around my face like nobody's business. Almost too easy. I'm surprised this isn't recommend as a noobie razor more frequently.

The only problem i had is that it's just too mild for my beard. To be fair, i never tried it with a feather.

I was thinking of trying my first feather in a tech, but i suppose it could be in my krona. Hmmm.....

+1

I picked one up on E-Bay. After I put it through the process to get it shave ready I used it today. It's a great shaver but the plastic handle is a turn off somehow. Maybe it's just not old enough for us to be charmed by it however it's a great everyday shaver. Probably thats why there is so many around.

Kronas and Platinums. Schick made some good shaving DEs. If only they could have made them pretty.

I do not think the Krona is especially ugly. Just chiefly functional.

The plastic handle gives it the effective grip.

And, boy, it's good plastic. Mine must be 35-40 years old and it's still good as new.

As others have said - works great with a Feather (or a Perma Sharp, or other top-notch blade).

I like the metal knob (not chromed plastic) version - better balance IMO. I don't consider ti ugly at all - it's no Gillette #15 but it's perfectly decent looking.

I do not think the Krona is especially ugly. Just chiefly functional.

The plastic handle gives it the effective grip.

And, boy, it's good plastic. Mine must be 35-40 years old and it's still good as new. . .
What he said. I can't pose as being greatly experienced, as lately I've been trying different razors for about a week. I've tried all my TTO razors, though, and the Krona is my favorite by a mile out of those. There are a couple of 3 piece ones I like better, but not by that much.

There's a certain esthetic appeal in unpretentious plain Jane functionality, and the Krona has that. Not ugly at all.

Surprisingly for me, one of my best razor-blade combinations is my Krona with a Derby. I sometimes use my Krona as my travel razor. No big deal if I lose it, since replacing it is easy and inexpensive.

Surprisingly for me, one of my best razor-blade combinations is my Krona with a Derby. I sometimes use my Krona as my travel razor. No big deal if I lose it, since replacing it is easy and inexpensive.

For now, maybe...they've been selling pretty regularly on the bay, it looks like. You might want to stock up while they're still relatively cheap. (no I'm not trying to sell one - I'm keeping the one I got)

I bought two at an antique store in South Texas back in July. I have not tried one yet but have been very curious. Perhaps this weekend I'll give one a spin.

DL

Top Bottom