What's new

Maggot Cheese?

I'm not Italian, but I've seen this stuff. I did not try it, it made me shudder just looking at it.

Ewwwww! Did it wiggle when you looked closely at it? Where did you see it?

I think it was some sort of crafts and home-made foods thing. And someone was there with the cheese as the pièce de résistance. So I hung around for a little while until he was going to cut it open.

It was just gross. I don't like insects, at all, and there were small worms moving around in the cheese. I (thankfully) didn't see any of them jumping out.

The wikipedia article sums things up pretty well.

This is the weirdest thing, I have never heard of this stuff until a couple of days ago when a buddy of mine and myself were trolling wikipedia and we were reading about it. Though, reading about it is as close as I will ever get, the stuff's absolutely disgusting. :yikes:

I have actually eaten this cheese. Of course I removed the maggots since I really don't fancy eating anything that goes down still moving but I was rather disappointed at it. It is just a piece of cheese that has begun to rot, no special flavours or anything. I can imagine why it is banned by the Italian government because some of the others who ate it really became sick. I wouldn't recommend it but it is not like I hate it either.

Makes a fantastic "dancing" pizza, by the way. The key is getting it just warm enough to melt the cheese without killing the maggots.

:ohmy: OMG! *barf*.

If you like this stuff, I've got some fresh hot fermented :9898: for you too. You can try it on toast and let me know how it goes! Stock up on your favorite flavor! The recipe changes daily!

:out:

I recall reading that Ernest Hemingway belonged to a club in Key West that had a membership requirement of swallowing a live shrimp whole. The article said that you could feel the shrimp kicking all the way down. Not as disgusting as the maggots but I am not adventurous enough to try either or.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corn_smut There's something else people who are into weird food can try.

:eek:

Mexican Truffle?
proxy.php

I've had this - its pretty good.

No different than any other mushroom/fungus - totally different category than wormy cheese.

If you go to southern Mexico, the sell grasshoppers by the pound that have been fried with various seasonings - they ranged from little tiny ones to ones that were over an inch long.

Top Bottom