What's new

Maggard's Open Comb V2 Review

Hi all,

I don't seem to notice too many reviews or information going around on Maggard produced razors so I figured I would offer my .02 cents. A few months ago I purchased a maggard's open comb (V2) head with an MR7 handle. Some people seemed to have issues with regards to fit and finish but the V2 is pretty well made from what I can tell, no blade alignment issues whatsoever. And I love the handle, it's actually one of my favorite handles that I have acquired in the last year or so. I figured I would post a review to give credit where credit is due.

The razor itself is actually very smooth and efficient. It has a similar design to the R41 head (which I also own) but slightly less aggressive, which I like. The angle is pretty intuitive to find, and once you do it cuts through hair pretty effortlessly. I do not have a crazy thick beard but my facial hair itself is coarse and on the thicker side, and this razor plowed through it nicely. I was actually pleasantly surprised after first trying this razor because it is several steps below the R41 in aggressiveness/roughness in terms of blade feel, yet it is only a step or two below the R41 in the efficiency department.

For testing purposes, I have used this razor on both several days worth of growth and only a day's worth of stubble. It might be just a tad too harsh for daily use for some depending on sensitivity, but for others could really be a daily driver as well. I personally have used this on back-to-back days and had no issues and my skin lies on the sensitive side. All in all, I was pleasantly surprised by this razor and would recommend it, especially to people who might be afraid to try the R41 and may want a "test-run" per say, before trying a razor that is as aggressive as the R41. Thanks everyone for reading!

I suspect the lack of reviews stems from the head really being a Parker OC head.
There aren't that many reviews on them, either, but they can be found.

I have the head from Maggard as well, though.
It's a really nice shaver, if a little angle sensitive. For me, it's nice and smooth when using a shallow angle and not so nice when using a steep angle, although usable that way on some areas.

Top Bottom