What's new

Maggard V3 head versus RazoRock Game Changer 0.68mm or BBS heads?

First, sorry for inundating this forum with my questions and belaboring the topic.

I own a Maggard V3 head attached to a Parker 24C handle. I don't much like this combo and consider it too aggressive, but after searching around the forum about this head, it seems most think it's actually quite mild. To complicate matters, I also consider the Parker 24C with original head to be very mild (especially compared to the Maggard V3), but it's considered aggressive!

Clearly I know nothing, but my hypothesis is because the V3's angle isn't as steep and it has a blade gap of, to my naked eye, ~0.8mm, while the 24C has a steeper angle and no blade gap. I'm going to try shaving with the V3 some more, because the issue could simply be my technique.

Most importantly, I'm considering purchasing the RazoRock BBS or Game Changer 0.68mm and am wondering how these compare to the Maggard V3 in terms of aggression/smoothness. Any info greatly appreciated.

I'm so glad no one posted yet. I just shaved with the V3 again and paid VERY close attention to angles and pressure. OF COURSE if you use it in the exact same way as a Parker 24C it won't shave comfortably. I'm such a dolt. :facep:

The V3 shave was a fantastic experience and I must amend my opinion - I don't think it's that aggressive (then again, my sample size is two). I think I may even prefer the V3 to the 24C, but will need to shave with it more to confirm.

This revelation is hilarious though, because now I can't decide between the Game Changer 0.68mm and BBS. 😆

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Glad you were able to resolve your endeavor with a slight angle change instead of $60-70 purchase.

Not having a Maggards V3 — just their V3A because I have issues — couldn’t answer your question.

Glad you were able to resolve your endeavor with a slight angle change instead of $60-70 purchase.

Not having a Maggards V3 — just their V3A because I have issues — couldn’t answer your question.
Me too! However, I still want a steel razor because it should survive my harsh cleaning routine (boiling water + dish soap) better than anything chrome-plated (Parker 24C).

At least I've narrowed it down to purchasing a RazoRock (GC, BBS, Lupo?), and I won't rush the decision.

Regarding the Lupo... I absolutely love mine and it is a great razor but I will tell you. After using a fair amount of razorock razor's it was the first one that when put to my face... Woah! Blade feel (I ride the bar, steep shave) it isn't bad or nasty just my experience when I used it the first time. Just wanted you to know.... It is an amazing razor!

Regarding the Lupo... I absolutely love mine and it is a great razor but I will tell you. After using a fair amount of razorock razor's it was the first one that when put to my face... Woah! Blade feel (I ride the bar, steep shave) it isn't bad or nasty just my experience when I used it the first time. Just wanted you to know.... It is an amazing razor!
Thank you for the info! I think that's a common sentiment with the Lupo, but those who shave with it just absolutely adore it. The same can be said for the GC, either variant. The BBS is perhaps the least discussed, but also the "smoothest" according to a tester per ItalianBarber.com.

If I had to guess where I'm at now, I'm roughly 48% GC 0.68, 48% BBS, 4% Lupo.

Within the GC, I'm 90% 0.68mm and 10% 0.84mm.

For the plates, I'm probably 55% SB and 45% OC.

For the handle, I'm 35% HD, 35% Barber Pole, 15% Super Knurl, and 15% Bulldog.

Clearly I'm wracked with indecision, but my plan is to use my V3 a few more times to confirm that I'm okay with a blade gap. Then use the Parker 24C again. Depending on which I prefer, it could tip the scales toward the GC or BBS.

Well if you go open comb get the BBS the comb is super smooth vs the Game changer open combs
I think I agree with you, my logic being that a razor with a blade gap doesn't need the open comb as much, and a razor without the gap can afford a skosh more aggressiveness.

The "probabilities" are now:

50% Game Changer with Straight Bar
50% BBS with Open Comb

I had another wonderful shave with the Maggard V3. I plan to use it one more time, then the Parker 24C three times, and hopefully be able to decide whether or not I want a blade gap.

IMG_20230223_070431~2.jpg
IMG_20230223_070419~2.jpg

Used the BBS OC this morning (the handle is the old V1 barber pole)

Shave was as smooth as I remember and efficient as the game changer 68 series (p, jaws etc) results were a DFS +++ or BBS - end of the day smooth one direction and slight stubble drag against grain. The shave was a neck shave and cheek line (have a full beard) steep angle bar riding, cold water razor hot everything use after a shower.

Watching this to see if you get the BBS, as it's one I'm interested in too.
I think I'll have a decision in about a week (I typically shave every other day) and will let you know!

View attachment 1610789View attachment 1610788

Used the BBS OC this morning (the handle is the old V1 barber pole)

Shave was as smooth as I remember and efficient as the game changer 68 series (p, jaws etc) results were a DFS +++ or BBS - end of the day smooth one direction and slight stubble drag against grain. The shave was a neck shave and cheek line (have a full beard) steep angle bar riding, cold water razor hot everything use after a shower.

These are great pictures - much clearer than the ones on ItalianBarber and Razorock websites. Is there a huge difference between the V1 Barber Pole and current? If not, I think you may have swayed me to team Barber Pole.

I just went to their sites and they seem quite similar...

Unfortunately they are almost more different than they are similar... The V1 is shorter (same length as the HD handle) then the v2 the knurling is completely different and changes the twist in the process. Look at the images and you can see the v2 has an optical illusion for the twist

Screenshot_20230223-200959~2.png

V1 above
Screenshot_20230223-200929~2.png

V2 above.

Unfortunately they are almost more different than they are similar... The V1 is shorter (same length as the HD handle) then the v2 the knurling is completely different and changes the twist in the process. Look at the images and you can see the v2 has an optical illusion for the twist

View attachment 1610860
V1 aboveView attachment 1610863
V2 above.
Hmm, V1 > V2 by quite a bit for my tastes. Thank you for the pictures.

I think I'll choose between the Bulldog, Super Knurl, or HD now. If I've done my homework, this is 99% an aesthetic decision, though I suppose a 8mm difference in handle length or a 8.5 gram difference in weight could play a factor.

Well in having first hand experience with every knurled Razorock handle I would skip the bulldog it is just basic and well compared to the HD or super knurled is really lackluster.

I finished a shave with the Parker 24C and quickly noticed that it's definitely smoother (I think this is purely because it doesn't sport a blade gap) but also less efficient by a bit. Will test again to confirm.

The Maggard V3 definitely feels "rougher" (read: blade feel) but not in an uncomfortable or overly aggressive way. The two razors are simply different, and I think it really does come down to personal preference.

This spells trouble. I might end up buying both the Game Changer and BBS :lol:. Let's see. Two more shaves until a decision. I'm changing the plan to shave with both razors at the same time so that they can be compared side by side and so that each will be used on both sides of my face.

I own the GC .68 SB and I can tell you it may be the most well balanced razor in my arsenal.

I typically favor far more aggresive heads but I've used the .68 quite a bit. For me, it is damn close to an autopilot experience.

No pronounced blade feel yet efficient enough to get you to BBS if that is what you desire.

The effective angle is wide and ridiculously easy to find. Paired w/ a Super Knurl or Bulldog handle and loaded up with a sharp blade it just glides over my face almost on cruise control.

And, speaking of blades...I've used maybe 20 different kinds in it with no issue whatsoever. From the smooth operators on up to the sharpest 'danger' blades.

The only nit that I would pick with it is the blade loading. I'm fine with it but would prefer loading a blade on the cap versus the plate. I've gotten used to it and it is a really small thing, to be sure.

Honestly, using the GC is so good it's almost boring. Kinda like watching the same team win their league year after year. Impressive, but not necessarily compelling. ;)

I own the GC .68 SB and I can tell you it may be the most well balanced razor in my arsenal.

I typically favor far more aggresive heads but I've used the .68 quite a bit. For me, it is damn close to an autopilot experience.

No pronounced blade feel yet efficient enough to get you to BBS if that is what you desire.

The effective angle is wide and ridiculously easy to find. Paired w/ a Super Knurl or Bulldog handle and loaded up with a sharp blade it just glides over my face almost on cruise control.

And, speaking of blades...I've used maybe 20 different kinds in it with no issue whatsoever. From the smooth operators on up to the sharpest 'danger' blades.

The only nit that I would pick with it is the blade loading. I'm fine with it but would prefer loading a blade on the cap versus the plate. I've gotten used to it and it is a really small thing, to be sure.

Honestly, using the GC is so good it's almost boring. Kinda like watching the same team win their league year after year. Impressive, but not necessarily compelling. ;)

Definitely. The 0.68 and 0.84 Game Changers are widely beloved. That's what makes choosing difficult. See below.

I finished a shave with the Parker 24C and quickly noticed that it's definitely smoother (I think this is purely because it doesn't sport a blade gap) but also less efficient by a bit. Will test again to confirm.

The Maggard V3 definitely feels "rougher" (read: blade feel) but not in an uncomfortable or overly aggressive way. The two razors are simply different, and I think it really does come down to personal preference.

This spells trouble. I might end up buying both the Game Changer and BBS :lol:. Let's see. Two more shaves until a decision. I'm changing the plan to shave with both razors at the same time so that they can be compared side by side and so that each will be used on both sides of my face.

To follow up on this, I did two 50/50 shaves with the Parker 24C and Maggard V3. I confirm that the 24C is smoother but retract that the V3 is more efficient. After refining my technique with each, I'd argue they're equally efficient, especially after more than one pass. This, I think, tilts me toward the BBS.

Ultimately, I agree with @Cafebarian in that I can't really go wrong if I'm choosing between the BBS and GC. I'm very tempted to just buy both.

Top Bottom