What's new

Maggard Timberwolf

Anyone ever use one of these? Would like to get an idea of the folowing:

How dense is it?
How does it splay?
How does it feel?

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2020-03-21 at 9.11.08 PM.png

I tried one where it was mounted at maybe an average depth, and it was a lot like most of the other Plisson types. Very soft tips, but springy. Good if you like medium backbone.

Then I tried one where it was mounted higher (i.e. more loft) and it was easier to splay, and didn't push my skin around when reversing direction.

A good knot that is versatile, depending on how it is set.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I re-knotting a Fuller brush with a 22mm Timberwolf knot and have been very pleased with it.
It's a good lather maker but I find I need a little extra time with hard triple milled soaps.
After loading the brush about 2-3 minutes in whipping the lather is super yogurt creamy in my bowl.
Super soft tips, splays superbly for me and has I believe average backbone, probably should have set the knot a wee bit deeper.
All in all a great knot.
proxy.php

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Thank you @sugardaddy @sharktown for your feedback! I should have indicated I am a dedicated face-latherer, never using a bowl or trying to load from soaps that can be a pain like MWF, mostly Tabac and MdC which load and lather like a dream. Splay is the main issue I'm dealing with. 24mm Tuxedos are way too stiff. Any thought are very much appreciated!

My complaint with the Timberwolf is that it did not have enough back bone, so I set the knot lower. I'm a face latherer also and like the Tuxedo much better, though when I'm at home I always use a boar.

Sorry to bump this but, anyone else have any thoughts/input on this brush? The main thing I'm trying to gage is if it's a dense knot that splays easier than a comparably sized Tuxedo. Thanks!

I've not experienced the Timberwolf knot but will have to do so.

My preferred synthetic brushes are Full Moon, Mühle Silvertip Fibre, Simpson, Boss and Tuxedo.

Just goes to show how differently everyone experiences a brush! I like my 26mm Boss but HATE my 24mm Tuxedo! It's way too stiff and doesn't make lather as quickly/abundantly as the Boss does. Maybe it's a size thing, not sure. thanks for your feedback though I really appreciate it!

As I reiterated, my re-knotted Fuller with the Maggard's Timberwolf knot splays just fine for me and has very soft tips.
I have tried a Maggard's Tuxedo knot in the Synthetic Brush Pass Around and it has very good backbone in my opinion, much more than the Timberwolf.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Just goes to show how differently everyone experiences a brush! I like my 26mm Boss but HATE my 24mm Tuxedo! It's way too stiff and doesn't make lather as quickly/abundantly as the Boss does. Maybe it's a size thing, not sure. thanks for your feedback though I really appreciate it!

The Tuxedo is the stiffest synthetic I have. As with all things shaving, it has it's purpose. :)

I have one Timberwolf knot in a Rick Montalvo handle set at the default height, which is I believe 54-55mm loft (maybe 53-54mm). I love it. The backbone is easy enough that the brush readily splays, but there's enough there to make it a good bowl brush too. The tips are some of the softest I've felt, and I absolutely love the flow through and the way it paints the lather on.

There are differences between Tuxedos as well. Some tuxedos are softer than others. I love my Yaqi 26/24mm tuxedo as it has the right softness to backbone.

It's kind of hard to tell which tuxedo you get with all the variety of suppliers from China so I usually stick to the brands that I've tested out like Yaqi.

I wonder how in comparison with yaqi. Something their nodes are similar in appearance. I don't know which one to try first. yaqi or maggard

Attachments

• -639516688-7604862.jpg
    -639516688-7604862.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 8
I wonder how in comparison with yaqi. Something their nodes are similar in appearance. I don't know which one to try first. yaqi or maggard
I have the Yaqi 26mm timberwolf and it's a great brush. Great balance of softness/backbone/feel. I don't think you'll go wrong with either Yaqi or Maggard but from what I see, the Maggard's seems more higher lofted. If you want more backbone go with Yaqi, less backbone go with Maggards.

I have the Yaqi 26mm timberwolf and it's a great brush. Great balance of softness/backbone/feel. I don't think you'll go wrong with either Yaqi or Maggard but from what I see, the Maggard's seems more higher lofted. If you want more backbone go with Yaqi, less backbone go with Maggards.
I want to wait for the 11.11 sale like last year, when synthetic shaving brushes were discounted and cost $ 3-4.

Top Bottom